Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As a side note… when I was 11 I saved up chore money for several months to buy a REM 700 ADL 270. Had a wood stock and plastic buttplate. I probably weighed 85 pounds. That is where I developed a flinch. When I was maybe 13 I had my mom take an old dish rag and sew it up into a type of recoil pad. My dad called it a wuss rag. Then around 14 or 15 I swapped out the buttplate for a pad. That would have been helpful when I was 11.

I did make several nice shots on deer with that rifle though. I’m not experienced with the truly big kickers, but the 270 was mind over matter, even when I was 11. It gave me my first flinch, and I also learned how to beat the flinch with that rifle.

Dad has always been a loving and caring father. His wuss rag comments were in a joking manner, but they helped toughen me up nonetheless.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 06/17/21.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

At this point in my life I’m looking for something bigger, and even though I’m still a youngster to most of you, I’ve never been a fan of hard kicking rifles. Now I’m starting to like it.

You'll get over it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Probably. But I won’t know until I try. My next rifle will be either a 338WM, 9.3x62, or 375H&H.

Lately the 338 has been what I’ve daydreamed about most.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree that the way you hold your rifle makes a difference to whether it knocks you about. I've always found that holding it fairly firmly in both hands helps - holding the forend in particular tends to control the jump, which not only keeps the comb from smacking you put also helps your accuracy. You don't want to be holding it so tightly that you induce muscle tremors, but a good firm grip and pressure against the shoulder.

What I also find helpful is adopting a position which allows you to rock back with the recoil sitting up straight rather than hunched down behind a bench, for example, or even kneeling or standing behind the rest. This allows me to "roll with the punch".

I suspect that there are a couple of factors which also come into play. Some have been mentioned. Stock fit is a big one: I had a Mauser .30/06 for example, which had too much drop and a sharp comb, and knocked me about as a result, while with the same loads a Browning Stainless, despite being lighter, is a pussycat, and even a Rem 700 Ti, lighter still, was not at all unpleasant even with 220 gn loads.

I think that your state of mind also comes into play. If you are focused on dropping a critter you tend not even to notice recoil, nor the bang, whereas if you have time to think about it when slowly taking up the slack on the trigger at a target you notice it more. You can also put it out of your mind too, I've found, by reminding yourself that the impact is actually not going to hurt you - you get bumped a hell of a lot harder in a any number of other sports.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It took me years to figure out how to lick the the flinch. It's easy, just shoot til your arm feels like its falling off, then shoot some more, LOL! Sort of joking but the more I shoot and the more often I shoot the less it bother's me. Shooting from a bench is my worse case. Hunting I hardly notice it. Shooting at the bench for groups I just relax and control my breathing and squeeze the shot off. The more I relax the less it hurts and the better I shoot.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I beginning to see that folks are just not experiencing this the same way I am.

Most days, I'm just fine shooting a 30-06, my 8X57 or even my 35 Whelen. However, some days the recoil feels noticeably worse--same gun, same layers of clothing, same bench, same ammo. I started experiencing this maybe a decade ago (around age 50+). I chalked it up to aging.

I don't think it's the way I'm holding the rifle. At least it does not feel this way. I'm doing everything I can to minimize change from one session to the next.

Milk? I drink about 16 oz every morning at minimum.

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this, and if anyone had figured out what caused it.

I guess not. Thanks anyways.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot my .35 Whelen quite a bit off the bench during the off season, since having both shoulder's rotator cuff repaired I have done two things to help with felt recoil. First I installed a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad and second I developed a load with a lighter bullet. Previously I was shooting a 225 gr. bullet over IMR 4064 and recoil was moderate, now I shoot a Ken Waters Pet Load that features a Hornady Inter-lok 200 gr. RN bullet over IMR 3031. Not only is this load outstandingly accurate in my rifle it also is very effective on whitetails. The last bullet that I recovered on a raking shot @ 100 yds. was perfectly mushroomed and retained 66% of its original weight. Hope these suggestion are useful, they certainly helped me.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now that's interesting: I had a buddy of mine get back to me. He's not on the 'Fire, but I asked him pretty much the same question. His answer was that his sensitivity to recoil started after he got Diabetes. He finds that when his Glucose is in a good range, he has a much better tolerance for recoil. This would make sense for me as well. I'm diabetic, but normally keep it well managed. However, there are times I stray out of the zone either at the end of the day or while my meals are settling. I'd not made the connection.

That would explain a lot as well. It isn't just recoil that sometimes throws me for a loop. Sometimes a jumping down from the porch (all of a foot or so) can really rattle me. I've learned to step down slowly.

Anyone else seeing this?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If one of these hurts ya, try the next one on the left.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or have a couple shots of whiskey.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by shaman
Now that's interesting: I had a buddy of mine get back to me. He's not on the 'Fire, but I asked him pretty much the same question. His answer was that his sensitivity to recoil started after he got Diabetes. He finds that when his Glucose is in a good range, he has a much better tolerance for recoil. This would make sense for me as well. I'm diabetic, but normally keep it well managed. However, there are times I stray out of the zone either at the end of the day or while my meals are settling. I'd not made the connection.

That would explain a lot as well. It isn't just recoil that sometimes throws me for a loop. Sometimes a jumping down from the porch (all of a foot or so) can really rattle me. I've learned to step down slowly.

Anyone else seeing this?

It’s called degenerative disc disease. Normally occurs as we “age”. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have been shooting a Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM a lot lately. Not a hard kicking rifle, but with 140 grain bullets at 3200 fps it is snappy. The factory recoil pad on a Tikka does next to nothing to tame recoil. I replaced it with a Limbsaver pad, and the difference is dramatic. I can shoot 20 rounds off the bench with no ill effects on my shoulder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a 12 GA 3" load that has about the same recoil as an elephant gun. Some years I've felt my shoulder clear to Labor Day.

You got what you paid for. Trick is to find some useful bargains out there. None are 3" long.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gas operated shotguns take out a LOT of felt recoil, add a Limbsaver Air Tec recoil pad. Beretta 391 with the shock absorber in the butt is an awesome addition, all you feel is a push.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
From a bench I handle recoil best when my torso is vertical, getting a shorter seat or taller rests or from a standing rifle rest.

I do that as well and it helps a lot.

I find that as I get older, I just don't want to deal with heavier recoil as much as when I was younger. I can do it, I just don't want to.

The only "magnum/big gun" I own now is a 9lb 300H&H and it's not bad at all. Nothing over 30cal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the best pieces of advice about bench-testing harder kicking rifles I've read over the decades was Elmer Keith's: Hold the forend firmly with your front hand just behind the front rest. This definitely cuts down on felt recoil, whether the stocks "fitment" is correct for you or not.

On the other hand, the biggest advance I've encountered in recoil abatement over those same decades was using smaller cartridges with better bullets.

LOL, truth here. My 9 pound suppressed 6.5x47 shooting 140 grain bullets around 2650 seems to kick quite lightly. Its some kind of miracle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by colodog
From a bench I handle recoil best when my torso is vertical, getting a shorter seat or taller rests or from a standing rifle rest.

Amazing that many never catch on to this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any of this have to do with summertime bench shooting in a T-shirt versus cold weather coat or jacket?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im 6' and 190 lbs.
Used to be 175 and no fat.
Shot everything like a varmint gun and took the swat.

Pushing 60, less muscle ( weigh 185 ).... and arthritis.

I can shoot the big stuff, w just a T shirt.
But I feel it next day, at half the round count.

Always shoot from the bench pretty upright.

Get a little tender these days, but hell I wake up sore when I havent shot anything.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by keith
Gas operated shotguns take out a LOT of felt recoil, add a Limbsaver Air Tec recoil pad. Beretta 391 with the shock absorber in the butt is an awesome addition, all you feel is a push.

The gas operation and the shock absorber in the stock are "slowing down" the recoil event and the gun itself before you start to feel the recoil. A recoil pad does the same to some degree. The thicker and squishier the pad, the longer time it spreads out the recoil and the more it slows the gun before you start to feel it.

Ft/Lb of recoil doesn't tell the whole story. Recoil velocity needs to be accounted for as well.

If 12ga 1 1/4oz shotshells produced 3K FPS instead of 1250-1300fps NOBODY would shoot them.

Last edited by horse1; 06/21/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shaman

Anyone else seeing this?

It just might be that somehow age has something to do with it. I usually kind of stretch the rifle between my hands when I shoot 30-06 or bigger rifles, I notice my left hand stays in place better and the weight of my arm helps slow the recoil down. On the old age thing, some days I just don't shoot well.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.