Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
An old Bonanza (now Forster) bench rest measure is very consistent and repeatable, especially if you know how to use the vernier scale to set it...and always set it by closing the opening with the measure empty. Ball powders meter within plus or minus 0.1 gr in my experience...stick powder about twice that.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pullit
I had a RCBS but when I got a Redding BR30, I gave the RCBS away.

Same Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
For doing load development it's tough to beat the RCBS chargemaster, once a good load is found I for the most part use my Harrell's premium. it has it's limitations though.........for example my Harrell's will not throw a charge of HS6, for rare exceptions like this I'm glad I didn't throw away the uniflow

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
An older Ohaus made Dillon Eliminator scale and a pair of the Lee Perfects for me. I use one only for H110 since it is so fine it spills out the baffles and is a pain to completely clear. I store both stuffed with used dryer sheets to stop any static issue.

The key to really consistent charges is to consistently work the lever. Same speed/cadence and the Lee's are dead nutz even with stick powders.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I mostly use a Redding BR-30 with a baffle in the hopper.

This ^^^^^^^^

Works fine across the board with pistol & rifle powders..................obviously some shearing with the very large & coarse large rifle powders, but great with all others.

MM

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Redding benchrest mesure and an ancient Belding & Mull. It’s a shame more folks don’t know about the B&M ……dang accurate measure. My load to load consistency is every bit as good as my Redding. My only problem is I only have the standard drop tube…..I’m out of luck if I’m dropping huge magnum loads. Old Indian trick though is to divide the load in half and drop twice, but it just easier to use the BR measure and be done with it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Does anyone have a measure that throws consistently with Unique?"

I've have good luck using my Uniflow for throwing charges of Unique. dunno if it's just a case of good luck or I I just hold the handle the right way. I have three Uniflows ( don't ask) and the other two won't throw Unique worth schidt. Go figure. I use them for handgun loads only with the exception for the .223 Rem. with ball powder..

For rifle cartridges I use the RCBS Chargemaster or Chargemaster Lite. They make resetting for the next charge simple during load work ups. I find them too slow for charging handgun rounds though.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by pullit
I had a RCBS but when I got a Redding BR30, I gave the RCBS away.

Same Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Me three!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a Harrell’s for sale in the classifieds

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner

I've have good luck using my Uniflow for throwing charges of Unique. dunno if it's just a case of good luck or I I just hold the handle the right way. I have three Uniflows ( don't ask) and the other two won't throw Unique worth schidt. Go figure. I use them for handgun loads only with the exception for the .223 Rem. with ball powder..

For rifle cartridges I use the RCBS Chargemaster or Chargemaster Lite. They make resetting for the next charge simple during load work ups. I find them too slow for charging handgun rounds though.
Paul B.

Unique has always been a problem for me when using a measure. I have an old RCBS Uniflow that's a million years old. It didn't work with some powders despite my efforts to tweak it. frown

I am going to try a Lee Auto Drum and see if it works. They are $50 CDN.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have an old Lyman Duo-measure bought in ‘76 that I use sometimes for light handgun plinking loads. I use a scale to check every 5-10 loads. With it having two adjustable cavities, it works well. Normally though, if I’m working up loads I’ll use my Lyman DPS scale/dispenser for more precision.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Started out with an RCBS Uniflow with 2 chambers & still use it with the small chamber for most pistol loading. I got a BR-3 for loading at the range during my foray into benchrest a long time ago. It still sits in the range box with the Wilson dies & Lee Autoprime. Mostly using a BR-30 these days for centerfire rifle.

None of these measures does terribly well with the crunchy old long grained IMR powders. Loading 20 to 50 pieces at a time it's not a big deal to throw c.1/2 gr under desired weight & trickle up.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 358WCF
Started out with an RCBS Uniflow with 2 chambers & still use it with the small chamber for most pistol loading. I got a BR-3 for loading at the range during my foray into benchrest a long time ago. It still sits in the range box with the Wilson dies & Lee Autoprime. Mostly using a BR-30 these days for centerfire rifle.

None of these measures does terribly well with the crunchy old long grained IMR powders. Loading 20 to 50 pieces at a time it's not a big deal to throw c.1/2 gr under desired weight & trickle up.

That is what I do, use a lot of IMR 4350. No big deal

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Paul B.

My Redding throws it .3 +- but, the Belding and Mull does much better at .1 grain.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 358WCF

That is what I did as well, until I bought a RCBS Chargemaster. Still do it for small reloading jobs.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My main one...and the one that goes to the range with me...is a tuned-up Redding 3BR. I've got a couple of Belding and Mulls that I've blueprinted and they're also excellent. For handguns, an ancient Herters that I found NIB throws powder like magic.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's an inexpensive trick that might revitalize your powder measure.

1. Take it apart and clean it completely.
2. Use dry graphite lube on the moving surfaces.
3. Reassemble and work powder through it, feeling for any spots where it hangs up. If so, relube.

Often, new measures will have gunk and preservative on them coming from the factory.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Lee Perfect and trickle the last bit onto the scale.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Paul B.

Unique has always been a problem for me when using a measure. I have an old RCBS Uniflow that's a million years old. It didn't work with some powders despite my efforts to tweak it. frown

I am going to try a Lee Auto Drum and see if it works. They are $50 CDN.

Sample of one maybe-the auto drum works well for me with Unique. The Lee Perfect does +/- .2 grains or so as well, not bad for my Unique loading uses. It's a not full snort revolver powder around my place.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Here's an inexpensive trick that might revitalize your powder measure.

1. Take it apart and clean it completely.
2. Use dry graphite lube on the moving surfaces.
3. Reassemble and work powder through it, feeling for any spots where it hangs up. If so, relube.

Often, new measures will have gunk and preservative on them coming from the factory.

Making sure your new measure s clean and properly adjusted is a good plan, and a bit of dry graphite is too. Running a couple of hoppers of propellant through it also tends to distribute dry graphite through the mechanism, as this is used on the granules of propellant.

Practicing a consistent stroke also helps with consistency: I make one firm stroke down on the handle, without hesitation, hitting the stop firmly at the end of travel, count a beat, and then up. Others may have a different rhythm, but the point is to do it the same way each time. I find it helps in this regard to do a whole batch, charging each case one after the other, before seating bullets. I throw all my charges, and don't throw underweight and trickle up, as I've found by experiment, surprising as it may seem, that if anything I get more consistent velocity that way.

FWIW I've found the Lee Perfect punches well above its weight for consistent results with a wide range of propellant.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.