-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And yes - I'm familiar with fundamental attribution error.

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Well - as someone who's driving and someone blows a stop sign, I locked up my brakes and for the split second was thinking I was going to kill someone. Not a great feeling. I don't know if you've ever been responsible for someone losing their life, even not directly, but I have and it's an uber [bleep] feeling. One I don't need again because some idiot in a unitard wants to be "legal on the road same as cars" but unwilling to follow the same rules.

People in cars make mistakes too but I've yet to see a motorist run EVERY red light/stop sign they come across like cyclists do. It's not a "mistake" it's willful disregard followed by indignation at the guy doing it the right way when they're almost wiped out.

How would stopping for the stop sign affect you as a cyclist?

I stop when I need to yield right of way. It affects me in that it keeps me from getting killed or injured. I don't stop unless I need to stop to yield right of way.

I'd be willing to bet that you break the law every time you drive. Am I right or wrong?

Interestingly, studies have shown that motorists and cyclists break the law at about the same rate. Motorists do it for reasons of convenience. Cyclists do it more for safety.

https://whyy.org/articles/cyclists-violate-traffic-law-no-more-than-drivers-new-data-shows/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...-save-lives-finds-study/?sh=790807db3c54

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This one is probably going to cause some cognitive dissonance with our fire members. A man shot a motorist in self-defense in Houston. The motorist has been charged with aggravated assault and will go straight to jail when he gets out of the hospital.

BUT, the person who defended himself was a bicyclist, and the motorist was using his car as a weapon to teach the bicyclists that they shouldn't be on the road. I am pretty sure that running over cyclists has the blessing of the masses here, so this one should make some heads spin.

https://abc13.com/driver-gets-shot-...fe-with-truck-suspect-ran-over/10859767/
As to the legalities, who knows right now? After the Chauvin conviction and Kyle Rittenhouse charging, who knows what our courts are capable of?

As far as a car being a deadly weapon...only a retard would think that it wasn't. IMO cops will get a lot more leeway in this regard though, than regular folks. It sounded like Hispanic v. Hispanic, so maybe race-wise, the playing field is at least level.

I thought at first, why wouldn't the sensible thing be to just bike out of the guy in the car's way, rather than stop, draw your gun and shoot. With all that time taken, you're likely to get hit, even if you get shots off. Legalities aside, the goal should be to avoid death or injury. Then I saw that the guy's wife had already been hit and while I didn't see the incident, it's a lot easier to envision a scenario where you're defending another person, where shooting the motorist is a lot more defensible both from a common sense and legal standpoint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well - as someone who's driving and someone blows a stop sign, I locked up my brakes and for the split second was thinking I was going to kill someone. Not a great feeling. I don't know if you've ever been responsible for someone losing their life, even not directly, but I have and it's an uber [bleep] feeling. One I don't need again because some idiot in a unitard wants to be "legal on the road same as cars" but unwilling to follow the same rules.

People in cars make mistakes too but I've yet to see a motorist run EVERY red light/stop sign they come across like cyclists do. It's not a "mistake" it's willful disregard followed by indignation at the guy doing it the right way when they're almost wiped out.

How would stopping for the stop sign affect you as a cyclist?

I stop when I need to yield right of way. It affects me in that it keeps me from getting killed or injured. I don't stop unless I need to stop to yield right of way.

I'd be willing to bet that you break the law every time you drive. Am I right or wrong?

Interestingly, studies have shown that motorists and cyclists break the law at about the same rate. Motorists do it for reasons of convenience. Cyclists do it more for safety.

https://whyy.org/articles/cyclists-violate-traffic-law-no-more-than-drivers-new-data-shows/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...-save-lives-finds-study/?sh=790807db3c54

What's the goal of the thread? To bash or defend bikers in general or to talk about this specific incident? Thus far I've only done the latter, but I've got some shixt to say about biking if that's what we're doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Must have been blatant that the wounded guy was charged at the scene with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

I dunno that these people were part of the spandex-clad bicycle crowd, I don’t think we’re getting the whole story here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder if the bicyclists we’re in a Cholo gang area, maybe not a great area to ride in. Around here if a bicyclist blows through a stop he will get a ticket if there is a cop around.

The majority of bicyclists that are inconsiderate and blow through stops are the club riders, especially the race club riders. I call them Wienies. Then there are the Eurowienies who ride the high end bikes: Mazi’s, Colnago’s, Pinarello’s, Cervello’s, Van Rysel’s, etc.

Most solo or small group riders aren’t inconsiderate around here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I have ridden quite a few miles on public highways on a bicycle as well as a motorcycle....the traffic laws should be respected by both . Courtesy goes a long way in building a positive image.

Many years ago when driving west on I-80 just out of Salt Lake City in my F-250, I was at interstate speed, negotiating a pretty sharp right hand curve. At this time, I ran up behind a bicyclist, also west bound, fully in the center of the right lane I was occupying. I had to make a quick evasive maneuver into the left lane to avoid shoving 6K pounds of F 250 up his ass. The radical lane change jeopardized those in my vehicle, and had there been anyone to my left, I would have either taken out the cyclist or sideswiped the other motorist. I really wanted to stop and introduce the sob to the shovel I had in the back of the truck......but, was already late getting to the airport.

Summary, I have little sympathy for any cyclist (bicycle or motorcycle) that violates the law or common courtesy on the roadways. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by memtb
Summary, I have little sympathy for any cyclist (bicycle or motorcycle) that violates the law or common courtesy on the roadways. memtb
BOOM!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the general topic,I don’t think there’s any doubt that at least half of cyclists, road or dirt, are d$ckheads.

How many people, drivers or pedestrians, think “Oh good, here come bicycles.” when a group of road or mountain bikes approach?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good shoot is good shoot - regardless of who does it.

One good shoot by an annoying sub-culture of people doesn't absolve the entire/larger sub-culture of its sins either tho. So in the end "meh".

Can you delineate the sins and speak specifically to how they have affected you?

Repeated running of stop signs, riding against the flow of traffic, blocking intersections so the "group" can come through at a blistering 8 mph etc.

Don't act ignorant - you KNOW the cycling community doesn't have the best reputation with society at large. I know, you're part of it and would never do the above listed annoying things. Not talking about you - talking about the group.

How has that affected you?

99% of the motoring public think bike riders are selfish arrogant pricks. Trying to convince us that we're wrong by being a selfish arrogant prick probably isn't a winning strategy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have ridden quite a few miles on public highways on a bicycle as well as a motorcycle....the traffic laws should be respected by both . Courtesy goes a long way in building a positive image.

Many years ago when driving west on I-80 just out of Salt Lake City in my F-250, I was at interstate speed, negotiating a pretty sharp right hand curve. At this time, I ran up behind a bicyclist, also west bound, fully in the center of the right lane I was occupying. I had to make a quick evasive maneuver into the left lane to avoid shoving 6K pounds of F 250 up his ass. The radical lane change jeopardized those in my vehicle, and had there been anyone to my left, I would have either taken out the cyclist or sideswiped the other motorist. I really wanted to stop and introduce the sob to the shovel I had in the back of the truck......but, was already late getting to the airport.

As a motorcyclist, I had it drilled into my head that there was danger in outdriving my line of sight.

Don't we all violate the law when we drive? I do. Everyone I have ever ridden with does. Every person who is honest has told me they do. A few MPH over the speed limit? Slow rolling a stop or right turn on red? Not signaling a lane change or turn? When I find a person who never has or never does break the law, that person can lecture me.

I am always courteous when operating any mode of conveyance.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
Good shoot is good shoot - regardless of who does it.

One good shoot by an annoying sub-culture of people doesn't absolve the entire/larger sub-culture of its sins either tho. So in the end "meh".

Can you delineate the sins and speak specifically to how they have affected you?

Repeated running of stop signs, riding against the flow of traffic, blocking intersections so the "group" can come through at a blistering 8 mph etc.

Don't act ignorant - you KNOW the cycling community doesn't have the best reputation with society at large. I know, you're part of it and would never do the above listed annoying things. Not talking about you - talking about the group.

How has that affected you?

99% of the motoring public think bike riders are selfish arrogant pricks. Trying to convince us that we're wrong by being a selfish arrogant prick probably isn't a winning strategy.

Trying to convince anyone that they are wrong is a fools errand. That doesn't mean people aren't wrong.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Paul,

just kidding here, but the shooter must purchase his firearms from a different place than some of yours. whistle

PS, I hate dicks that ride on sideWALKS.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Hey Paul,

just kidding here, but the shooter must purchase his firearms from a different place than some of yours. whistle

PS, I hate dicks that ride on sideWALKS.

LOLOL. No doubt. You touched on something that strikes at the heart of problems cyclists face. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Half the public wants cyclists on the sidewalk. The other half wants them to stay off the sidewalk.

Sidewalk cycling is rife with hazards. That's why it's illegal in many areas.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

As a motorcyclist, I had it drilled into my head that there was danger in outdriving my line of sight.

Don't we all violate the law when we drive? I do. Everyone I have ever ridden with does. Every person who is honest has told me they do. A few MPH over the speed limit? Slow rolling a stop or right turn on red? Not signaling a lane change or turn? When I find a person who never has or never does break the law, that person can lecture me.

Paul as you know, our area is a Mecca for cyclists and in the main most all are considerate and safety conscious but it wasn’t always like that with the noticeable changes coming after the sad death of Councilman Buddy Amoroso and the maiming of his riding partner.

Now we’re seeing most all riders using rear flashing red led strobes and the bright white front led strobes. Their visibility is so much better improved by these simple things.

We have many cycling events in our area every year and these are accompanied by the presence of Sheriff’s deputies at all critical intersections and even reserving the whole right lanes of Hwy 61 with pylons for the riders and competitors.

Safety here has been a two way street for motorists and cyclists but it took that tragedy to initiate meaningful changes. Overall, cyclists are very much welcomed here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, along with roller skating, skateboarding, motorized scooters, etc.

I haven't yet, but in my dotage one day I hope to clothesline someone zooming past me on some sort of instrument of sidewalk interference.

I'll just say I was signaling a left turn to other pedestrians.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Paul as you know, our area is a Mecca for cyclists and in the main most all are considerate and safety conscious but it wasn’t always like that with the noticeable changes coming after the sad death of Councilman Buddy Amoroso and the maiming of his riding partner.

Now we’re seeing most all riders using rear flashing red led strobes and the bright white front led strobes. Their visibility is so much better improved by these simple things.

We have many cycling events in our area every year and these are accompanied by the presence of Sheriff’s deputies at all critical intersections and even reserving the whole right lanes of Hwy 61 with pylons for the riders and competitors.

Safety here has been a two way street for motorists and cyclists but it took that tragedy to initiate meaningful changes. Overall, cyclists are very much welcomed here.

When I ride on the road, I typically wear bright clothes and sometimes use a rear flasher if the circumstances warrant. The truth is that it's very easy to see a cyclist in daylight, no matter what they are wearing. Using bright color and lights is an effort to try to command the attention of the marginally engaged away from their distraction.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have a group of bicyclist in our small town that think they own the road and spread from the white to the yellow line. I will be glad when someone accidentally hits one of them because they sure cause traffic issues.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buck720
We have a group of bicyclist in our small town that think they own the road and spread from the white to the yellow line. I will be glad when someone accidentally hits one of them because they sure cause traffic issues.

Nothing quite as agonizing is those big small town traffic issues. Weaponizing a motor vehicle can get an idiot shot.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.