Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, I knew Cooper carried FMJ. I used to read quite a bit of his material.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
Probably like most of you, my defensive handguns are loaded with Hydra-shok, HST+P or Critical Defense ammunition. We've all seen what expanding ammo does in soft tissue and I'm thinking that it might be even too good in certain situations. Case in point. We had a case in town last week where a guy was kicking the door to get in and the homeowner shot him in the leg which ended the threat. Nothing further on the news, but I'm thinking what if it could have just been a drunk that thought it was his house or a domestic dispute locking the guy out? A hardball round sure wouldn't be considered less than lethal, but just not as lethal as what some of us are loading. What are your thoughts?
Much better than a flyswatter... JMHO.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chuck Taylor was an interesting guy with a full resume.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Militaries all around the world have been shooting at each other with hard ball ammo for over a hundred years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yes....if that’s all that’s available. My father was not impressed with it’s stopping/killing abilities during WWII! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not with a 9mm or .40 level caliber. I'd hate to shoot through a miscreant and kill some innocent person behind them.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I mentioned on another thread. We recently shot 16 of 16 rounds of 1100 fps 40 cal 180 gr Berry's flat points through and through a 16 inch diameter Douglas Fir stump.

How many 1/2 inch sheetrock walls is that equivalent to?

While that is not a 45. It is still a point to consider.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yep, I knew Cooper carried FMJ. I used to read quite a bit of his material.

I believe Cooper eventually switched to Truncated cone flat points as his preferred bullets. I’ve never shot a person with anything but I have killed a pretty fair amount of game with a handgun and SWCs beat hardball all around.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in refernce to the statements Cooper carried FMJS" how manyw ant to bet that decisionw as largely based on poorly perfroming hollow points of the era, and the propensity for most to not run well in a 1911? How many think Cooper would be carrying FMJs today?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thugs tried to rob an elderly guy that just got home from hospital.

Think he shot one or both through the door.

First took it on the adams apple
Other at the knee.

240 gr JHP from his deer revolver ( .44.mag ).

First was DRT. Other lost the leg.

I dunno how beefy the old mans door was.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/14/21.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
Thugs tried to rob an elderly guy that just got home from hospital.

Think he shot one or both through the door.

First took it on the adams apple
Other at the knee.

240 gr JHP from his deer revolver ( .44.mag ).

First was DRT. Other lost the leg.

I dunno how beefy the old mans door was.

Broke 'em from sucking eggs.

I worked a couple of 44 Mag shootings over the years, one a near contact shot to the chest with a 180 grain Federal JHP from Ruger SBH. It was plenty.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/14/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
Chuck Taylor was an interesting guy with a full resume.

And some awesome shoes...

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I still carry .45 ACP ball ammo. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Eggzackly. Why doesn't someone interview the Germans and Japanese shot by ball ammo in WWII and survey their feelings?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
For clarification.

I don't necessarily advocate ball ammo as a top choice for defense. The reason why it is used in some guns is simply because they are older and not throated to properly feed other profiles such as JHPs or SWCs. Your typical 1911s that were in military armories were designed to feed ball ammo, and that was it.

Yes ball is destructive when it hits bone. It also has a tendency to perform poorly when it does not, such as when it only hits muscle. In cases where a good JHP was not available, I would take a SWC profile every time over ball.

I am friends with Ken Hackathorn, which some may or may not be familiar with. Ken worked for Jeff Cooper for quite some time. Much of what is put in print, versus real life, for selling ad copy and bolstering an image can be quite different. There is a public persona then there is the real person.

Ken has stated numerous times that Mr. Cooper carried SWCs in his Colts (when he loaded it himself). However, being that he was in the industry, his favorite ammo was what is known in certain circles as OPA ammo. OPA stands for "Other People's Ammo". That is ammo that is given to you by agencies, departments, companies, etc. The best ammo is free ammo, and quite often, that is what got carried, especially when it was simply going to be shot up on the range at a class. Yes, that often could be ball ammo, simply because that is what agencies bought and brought to training. That is just a little slice of reality.

I have some older 1911s that do not feed JHPs reliably and they get fed ball ammo. However when using a handgun that reliably feeds any profile projectile, I will choose something that is optimal for the situation, such as a good JHP, or heavy hard cast SWC.

This is (if I recall right) a first production year lightweight commander. It prefers ball ammo only.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would not deliberately handicap myself by loading ball ammo in a gun that fed a better profile, especially for self/home defense purposes.

I have shot big desert jackrabbits when hit with 230 grain ball ammo hump up at the hit, then go running off. If you did not hit anything structural or get a CNS hit, then the ball ammo just zipped right through them. Switching to a good SWC type profile saw an immediate change in results. The sharp profile cuts nice clean holes and causes significant damage in terms of terminal performance. This holds true for much larger animals as well.

Punchline is, if your gun feeds nothing but ball, use it. If it feeds JHPs or SWCs, use those instead.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I always enjoy Sagebrush's comments. I know that he has earned this knowledge the hard way and I truly respect that.

W. Bill

Are you his Royal Penis Cleaner?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
For clarification.

I don't necessarily advocate ball ammo as a top choice for defense. The reason why it is used in some guns is simply because they are older and not throated to properly feed other profiles such as JHPs or SWCs. Your typical 1911s that were in military armories were designed to feed ball ammo, and that was it.

Yes ball is destructive when it hits bone. It also has a tendency to perform poorly when it does not, such as when it only hits muscle. In cases where a good JHP was not available, I would take a SWC profile every time over ball.

I am friends with Ken Hackathorn, which some may or may not be familiar with. Ken worked for Jeff Cooper for quite some time. Much of what is put in print, versus real life, for selling ad copy and bolstering an image can be quite different. There is a public persona then there is the real person.

Ken has stated numerous times that Mr. Cooper carried SWCs in his Colts (when he loaded it himself). However, being that he was in the industry, his favorite ammo was what is known in certain circles as OPA ammo. OPA stands for "Other People's Ammo". That is ammo that is given to you by agencies, departments, companies, etc. The best ammo is free ammo, and quite often, that is what got carried, especially when it was simply going to be shot up on the range at a class. Yes, that often could be ball ammo, simply because that is what agencies bought and brought to training. That is just a little slice of reality.

I have some older 1911s that do not feed JHPs reliably and they get fed ball ammo. However when using a handgun that reliably feeds any profile projectile, I will choose something that is optimal for the situation, such as a good JHP, or heavy hard cast SWC.

This is (if I recall right) a first production year lightweight commander. It prefers ball ammo only.

I would not deliberately handicap myself by loading ball ammo in a gun that fed a better profile, especially for self/home defense purposes.

I have had shot big desert jackrabbits when hit with 230 grain ball ammo hump up at the hit, then go running off. If you did not hit anything structural or get a CNS hit, then the ball ammo just zipped right through them. Switching to a good SWC type profile saw an immediate change in results. The sharp profile cuts nice clean holes and causes significant damage in terms of terminal performance. This holds true for much larger animals as well.

Punchline is, if your gun feeds nothing but ball, use it. If it feeds JHPs or SWCs, use those instead.

Mackay, in your last two paragraphs when you mention semi-wadcutters are you referring the target type SWC’s like Speer’s tmj bullets, etc. at higher than normal target velocities?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Generally speaking, I rarely use the jacketed version, I am referring to the lead semi wadcutters. Jeff Cooper used to advocate a 200 grain lead semi wadcutter with 7.5 grains of Unique, which in a 5" gun produces about 1,000 FPS.

Regardless of the powder you choose, a good LSWC in that velocity range does great work in terms of terminal performance.

They penetrate quite nicely, feed well in most guns, and tend to be quite accurate.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
dla, that is your work...

Molon Labe
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Usually a little free velocity with the cast bullets too.
I was more curious about the terminal effects of the SWC shape rather than whether they’re jacketed or cast.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The sharp shoulder of the SWC tends to do significantly more damage than round nose/FMJ profiles. With round nose profiles you tend to see narrower wound channels with minimal permanent tearing. The SWC and full wadcutters do substantially more damage while still giving excellent penetration.

I would not feel handicapped at all if I was not able to access jacketed hollow points and had to strictly rely on lead semi wadcutters in .45s. They will absolutely do a great job.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.