D
Was John Wright a forum member here?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
Was John Wright a forum member here?

Yes

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"cmhjohn" I believe was his call sign.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Did Savage ever refer to it as a 20/26?

Not sure if it ever appeared in print, somebody else could answer that, but it was definately a different animal with the Lyman 54, no dovetail for rear sight cut in barrel and sling swivel studs. I think there was more wood in the stock as well. They felt heavier to me than the early model 20's which probably helped tame the recoil some especially in the 300

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't recall seeing that. Usually called "Improved Model 20" or just "Model 20" in the catalogs and price lists after 1926.

Of course, it was called the "Model 20" before 1926 also.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No, but it has become the common descriptoin to differentiate between the early/original style of the Model 1920 and the "improved"/ater style of the Model 20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage referred to it as the 'Improved Model 20' in a couple bifold brochures,; the 'Model 20 - 1926' in a 1927 Jobbers price list (the left over inventory of the earlier version was called the 'Model 20 - 1925'); 'Model 1920 - 1926 design' in the 1928 pocket catalog; 'Model 20-1926' in a Jan 1928 wholesale price list; just 'Model 20' in catalog # 65 from 1928.

This one is very late without a cutout for a stripper clip, it has had some repair work and as I mentioned above it has some non-original parts, one of which is the butt plate which they describe as "Butt plate is smooth blued steel".

Here's the link I mentioned above with more information on it - savage-1920-26

Gene
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FUG1899

Do you think the ammo, powder cans will go to auction

Charlie has it. If he was going to auction it it should have been in the 2nd auction that just posted but it is not. I don't know what his plan is.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I picked up 5 which I'm happy to have had the opertunity. decent 1895 carbine pictured in David's book, 1899 high condition 28" octagon barrel engraved c checkered B, and english walnut,which I felt was the best honest clean engraved one in auction , 30 inch 25-35 1899C ( cause its pretty hard to find one that letters), and the 38-55 high condition saddle carbine that I actually seen back in 2012 from Wes Adams collection. funny it sold for $1600 more in 2012 at julias then I paid now so I'm happy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The gentleman certainly had a fine collection.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I
Originally Posted by GeneB
One of the guns I think was possibly the most significant was lot 150, the Tue engraved 1895. I was with John when he bought this from Bailey Brower, the negotiations were not all the friendly and were getting awkward so I left, when I got back it was John's gun. The gun is pictured in Bailey Brower's book on Savage Pistols on page 4. The owner pervious to Bailey was the one who had it 'restored' by Turnbull, he usually had the tables to Johns right at the shows. His story on it was that it had been a left over barreled receiver that the company gave to Enoch Tue when he was looking for employment to do an example of his work. He also said it had been owned previously by Roe Clark. He, or his father, decided to get it made into a complete rifle. He also mentioned that Turnbull may have touched up the engraving a little eek. I thought some of the finest lines in the engraving seemed to fade out where they should have continued and the edges were not as sharp as they should be. The Callahan letter states that the entry line for this one is blank which fits with it being a left over barreled receiver.

I find it hard to use the term 'restored' for this one because it was supposedly just a barreled receiver when sent to Turnbull and it was not returned to an original configuration since that was not known, they used 1899 style wood. I see it is described as "Stocks are checkered highly figured walnut with special order checker pattern" - special order from Turnbull. When I heard the story I thought it a real shame it was not kept as it was to show the earliest know Tue work for Savage just as he left it.

I had a few on my list but only got one, and I don't think it was a bargain. It was more for sentimental reasons, I used to sit for hours with John when he was a regular table holder at OGCA and am familiar with some of those guns, I remember when he bought several of them and a couple spent time in my basement when I worked on them for him - I posted pictures of a couple of the projects a few years ago, one was lot 73, the 32-40 with a Malcolm side mount, when he got the gun it did not have a scope and I found one and mounted it for him, it was included in a post along with 3 of my rifles with Malcolm scopes. I was at John's table when he bought two project 1920's, one was a 20/26 that was just a couple bags of parts, that is the 1920/26 that I posted a thread about putting together, that one was not in this auction group. The first 1899 I got was also the first John bought that started his Savage collecting, it's really rough, he gave it to me after helping him with some projects so I would have an example to use for future projects and not have to borrow one anymore.

I was sleeping on the job. I new you did that 32-40 for John, and I think it was a good deal. I’m sitting on the funds for a rifle that is selling next month. If I had of been awake I would have driven it up a bit. I would have liked that one.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At least one of John's guns has now been sold by Tommy Guns. A 1950's 99R, lot #9, SN 744688 - bought for $675 plus juice (about $800 total) and sold by tommy for $1899.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...vage-99r-300-savage.cfm?gun_id=101745874

[Linked Image from images.proxibid.com]

I would expect a 99R in 308, and a RMEF rifle to also show up soon.

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/05/21.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Holy markup, Batman! 😲

Nothing quite to that degree, but there's a couple LGS around here that hit all the local estate sales and buy up the cheap junk, then a couple week's later you see grandpappy's old beater break action shotgun on the shelf for 3-4x the peanuts they paid for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
At least one of John's guns has now been sold by Tommy Guns. A 1950's 99R, lot #9, SN 744688 - bought for $675 plus juice (about $800 total) and sold by tommy for $1899.

Be interesting to see the markup on the 308. That gun went cheap.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 99guy
Be interesting to see the markup on the 308. That gun went cheap.
Without the damage to the left side panel, I think it would have gone a lot higher. I still expected it to hit a grand or so. Tommy might put that one on gunbroker?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I was looking for that to happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't begrudge the man. Any of us could have bought those guns and done the same thing.

What I would really like to know is the actual selling price on the guns he puts up. Easy enough to see on gunbroker but not so cut and dry on GI. Are people paying full price? Or is there some room for negotiations in the asking price?

I've never bought a gun from them...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by 99guy
I don't begrudge the man. Any of us could have bought those guns and done the same thing.

What I would really like to know is the actual selling price on the guns he puts up. Easy enough to see on gunbroker but not so cut and dry on GI. Are people paying full price? Or is there some room for negotiations in the asking price?

I've never bought a gun from them...

Not sure about GI, but GA you can haggle since financial transactions can be made directly buyer/seller, in the end it just says sold once msrkrd by the buyer. Since GI works more as a listing site than a store like GA, I imagine it may be the same.

I bought my 1899A on GA and actually ended up with an entirely different rifle for a different price than the one I had clicked "buy" on, after talking with the seller, who had several for sale at the time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought guns on GI before, just not from Tommy.

Negotiations are the norm. Sometimes the price is firm, sometimes not, but nobody sees the final price except the buyer and seller. You see a gun marked sold, but nobody knows for sure what it sold for...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I take it this guy is well known?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, beefan, Berksbowman, 9 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.