Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbob

I have no issue with this statement and agree. It appears that the armourer wasn't up to snuff well before this tragic incident. But as you stated in your own experience that you wouldn't have been successful in shutting down someone like Baldwin. So now what happens?

I would have absolutely been successful in shutting down dangerous behavior with a gun on set by anyone.

I stated that my remedy included banning that person from the set of the movie... And I doubted I would have been successful in that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Wtxj
No horseplay
Someone put a live round in that prop.

“Horseplay” meaning they’re jerking off, running around between scenes playing cowboys and Indians with prop guns “shooting” each other.

What other explanation is plausible as to why a firearm was pointed at an assistant director and shot?

one of the others had been shooting live ammo in it earlier.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It is the ultimate responsibility of the person with the gun in their hand. This incident is proof of that. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the actor doesn’t get a free pass by blaming someone else. If Baldwin practiced the most basic of gun safety the woman would be alive. Saying that he doesn’t have the ultimate responsibility is irresponsible on its face.

A movie set is the exception.

The armourer is responsible.

Visualize a class of kindergarten kids.... That's what the actors are. The armourer is the teacher, and responsible for all of them.
You cannot expect actors to know the first thing about gun safety. Just as you can't expect kindergartners to cross a busy highway by themselves.

The armourer is responsible as it Baldwin. I am not buying it that he isn't even with your kindergarten class analogy. These aren't kindergarten coloring classes and these are adults with guns. I realize you were an armourer on a set as you stated, but my opinion is also shared by a current armourer for these films.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/23/baldwin-ignored-no-1-rule-of-gun-safety-hollywood-weapons-expert/

While I agree that he may have been acting a fool... It's the armourer's job to shut that behavior down, and make the set safe.

I have no issue with this statement and agree. It appears that the armourer wasn't up to snuff well before this tragic incident. But as you stated in your own experience that you wouldn't have been successful in shutting down someone like Baldwin. So now what happens?

I would surmise that the Armourer would walk off the set due to safety protocol, as listed extensively in the Union firearms manual...and the filming would be shut down, because there is no Armourer on location. If chiit hit the fan against the Armourer, his union would support his decision based on safety and rules.

You could also assume that the armourer would be replaced just like the other union crew were replaced. You still have the opportunity for the tragic event due to poor gun safety by the actor. All your example does is show how the armourer does not have the ultimate control that you and rockinbar are implying.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I would have absolutely been successful in shutting down dangerous behavior with a gun on set by anyone.

I stated that my remedy included banning that person from the set of the movie... And I doubted I would have been successful in that.

That is good that you would have been able to shut it down, but you wouldn’t be able to ban Baldwin. Since we are playing hypotheticals what happens then if Baldwin has you replaced? I still lay the ultimate responsibility on Baldwin.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Wtxj
No horseplay
Someone put a live round in that prop.

“Horseplay” meaning they’re jerking off, running around between scenes playing cowboys and Indians with prop guns “shooting” each other.

What other explanation is plausible as to why a firearm was pointed at an assistant director and shot?

It’s been theorized elsewhere that Baldwin was supposed to shoot in the direction of the camera during a scene, and that the cinematographer and AD were behind the camera.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

It's not without possibility that Baldwin was dicking around this time as well. I doubt you'll hear the full truth from a movie crew, or Santa Fe law enforcement for that matter.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Visualize a class of kindergarten kids.... That's what the actors are. The armourer is the teacher, and responsible for all of them.
You cannot expect actors to know the first thing about gun safety. Just as you can't expect kindergartners to cross a busy highway by themselves.

This is exactly why Hollywood dumb chits need to STFU when it comes to firearms safety and “gun control”.

It’s the thing that goes up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is the ultimate responsibility of the person with the gun in their hand. This incident is proof of that. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the actor doesn’t get a free pass by blaming someone else. If Baldwin practiced the most basic of gun safety the woman would be alive. Saying that he doesn’t have the ultimate responsibility is irresponsible on its face.

Rockinbar is 100 % correct.

You can bet the farm that the Santa Fe County Sheriff's homicide detectives are much better informed than we are ... or the rumor mills of Hollywood. They'll be investigating this incident for quite a while as they'll have to talk to multiple witnesses, multiple times, and examine multiple forensics reports.

EDIT: I've written quite a few shows wherein firearms were used by the actors. I've never written a script where I wrote in the exposition, "The actor aims his gun directly at camera." I've never known a writer who did.

If Baldwin aimed at the camera with the director and camera woman in line with camera, then it was the director who told him to aim at the camera ... and them. If so, did the director instruct Baldwin to cap off a round as they set up the scene?? Remains to be seen. The detectives will be looking at that possibility, too. Lots and lots of "ifs" in this tragic incident.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 10/23/21.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

You can bet the farm that the Santa Fe County Sheriff's homicide detectives are much better informed than we are ... or the rumor mills of Hollywood. They'll be investigating this incident for quite a while as they'll have to talk to multiple witnesses, multiple times.

L.W.

There are no exceptions to gun safety. I can’t believe I am reading that some feel there are exceptions on this site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can bet the farm that the Santa Fe County Sheriff's homicide detectives are much better informed than we are ... or the rumor mills of Hollywood. They'll be investigating this incident for quite a while as they'll have to talk to multiple witnesses, multiple times.

L.W.

Agreed, and many of the witnesses will be pizzed off union workers that walked the job because of safety and working conditions. For Longbob to continue down this "hate Baldwin" theory vs the responsibility of the Armourer along with a long list of firearm rules...is tiring at best.

If Baldwin was at fault in any way, or bypassed protocol...then throw the book at him. But the whiny statements from Hanna the armourer "I was scared", "I was worried about the blanks"...sounds like she's setting herself up for a "poor me, I'm a young woman with minimal experience" defense at trial.

Either way, the armourer prepped the gun, then somehow the assistant director hands said weapon to Baldwin, and sounds like it had live ammo in the chamber. Sounds like someone really screwed the pooch, but that gun passed though a few hands before it landed in dikwad Baldwin's hands.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

L.W.

There are no exceptions to gun safety. I can’t believe I am reading that some feel there are exceptions on this site.

It's not designed to be a GUN, it's designed to go bang/pop harmlessly...it's the "pop" gun rifle we had as little kids, cock the lever action and it goes "pop". No live ammo should have been on set, I highly doubt Baldwin stopped at the local gun store and picked up 100 rounds of ammo to bring to the set at 6:30am.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

L.W.

It's not designed to be a GUN, it's designed to go bang/pop harmlessly...it's the "pop" gun rifle we had as little kids, cock the lever action and it goes "pop". No live ammo should have been on set, I highly doubt Baldwin stopped at the local gun store and picked up 100 rounds of ammo to bring to the set at 6:30am.

It is not designed to be a gun? Somehow Baldwin tragically shot and killed someone with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just remember,
No one was ever charged or arrested in the Brandon Lee shooting.
Maybe the facts in this case will turn out to be different than with Lee's death but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It really ain’t that hard to figure out.

There was a scene where Baldwin was to shoot directly at the camera. They were going to use a cold gun to set it up. In order to set it up the cinematographer and the director wanted to see what the shot would look like and they were having him play it with the cold gun while they got everything set. Then, they would have transitioned to a hot gun and they would have been watching from monitors away from the camera.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/23/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

L.W.

It is not designed to be a gun? Somehow Baldwin tragically shot and killed someone with it.

Rockibbar has already explained this in detail, you just refuse to accept the industry manner of PROP guns on the filming set.

There appear to be only 3 instances of this happening in recent history going back to 1984, and 1 of those was self inflicted. Showing the armouer did his/her job in countless films/TV, this incident somehow becomes the actor's fault while you ignore that live ammo was on the set. According to you all of those countless films/TV shows depicting shooting, the actor was well versed in firearm safety, gun handling, and down range scenarios.

This would of course include such brainiacs as Pam Anderson, Ronda Rousey, Kevin Costner, Ben Affleck, and the list goes on and on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It really ain’t that hard to figure out.

There was a scene where Baldwin was to shoot directly at the camera. They were going to use a cold gun to set it up. In order to set it up the cinematographer and the director wanted to see what the shot would look like and they were having him play it with the cold gun while they got everything set. Then, they would have transitioned to a hot gun and they would have been watching from monitors away from the camera.

Without a live load in the chamber.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

L.W.

Rockibbar has already explained this in detail, you just refuse to accept the industry manner of PROP guns on the filming set.

There appear to be only 3 instances of this happening in recent history going back to 1984, and 1 of those was self inflicted. Showing the armouer did his/her job in countless films/TV, this incident somehow becomes the actor's fault while you ignore that live ammo was on the set. According to you all of those countless films/TV shows depicting shooting, the actor was well versed in firearm safety, gun handling, and down range scenarios.

This would of course include such brainiacs as Pam Anderson, Ronda Rousey, Kevin Costner, Ben Affleck, and the list goes on and on.

You are correct. He did explain it and I refuse to accept any exception to gun safety and others in the industry agree with me. I posted a link to a current movie armourer that has the same opinion about gun safety and Baldwin’s lack there of.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wonder why Hollywood doesn’t want to ban guns from movies…
But wants to ban guns from American citizens?!
Sarcasm off.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There should be no exceptions. You are right.

But sadly, this gets illustrated many times a year, when someone gets shot.

Not only on a movie set, but particularly by hunters and target shooters throughout the country.

Nothing is 100% safe. Even riding your bike down the street...

While this incident is much more highly publicized than other gun accidents, it's no more tragic, and you can always find "someone" to blame in any of them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

There should be no exceptions. You are right.

But sadly, this gets illustrated many times a year, when someone gets shot.

Not only on a movie set, but particularly by hunters and target shooters throughout the country.

Nothing is 100% safe. Even riding your bike down the street...

While this incident is much more highly publicized than other gun accidents, it's no more tragic, and you can always find "someone" to blame in any of them.

I 100% agree.

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,216
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.