Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
RR prefix is another keyboard expert myth, fact.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chudly
RR prefix is another keyboard expert myth, fact.

?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805
Here is a video that explains primary extraction. Do you know what letter serial number your action is? RR are definitely the worst.
https://youtu.be/szy4HBg3q80

Nonsense... ask any knowledgeable gunsmith who builds custom rifles on Remington actions and they will tell you the RR actions are excellent. Keyboard experts are the worst but sites like this one are why some guns get and undeserved bad reputation....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, going to tag this in hopes I never need it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got a RR action here. It's so-so straight and not a lot of taper in the threads. The receiver face isn't too bad, considering how Remington did them in that era of their manufacturing.

It has no...as in z-e-r-o primarly extraction. laugh They've been that way (minimal camming, at best) since about 2007. A properly designed after market handle, positioned correctly, will fix that.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by 805
Here is a video that explains primary extraction. Do you know what letter serial number your action is? RR are definitely the worst.

Nonsense... ask any knowledgeable gunsmith who builds custom rifles on Remington actions and they will tell you the RR actions are excellent. Keyboard experts are the worst but sites like this one are why some guns get and undeserved bad reputation....

It’s not nonsense. Just like Al stated the RR actions have zero primary extraction. Yes they are somewhat straight being cut on a CNC now but nothing special.
How many RR actions have you personally measured or have first hand experience with? Just another keyboard expert I assume!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The biggest variable is the length of the bolt body TUBE,second would be the vintage of the bolt handle.

Standard Long Cam handles from '62 to short cam configuration in '06 to present.

IF, one is smarter than the equipment that they are working on, swapping handles w/ an aftermarket handle is not required,since most are as useless as an OEM Remington.

OP's, bolt/handle was re-worked months ago.
If he's capable of re-installing said bolt in the receiver is anyone's....guess.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dan is absolutely correct. Some of the after market handles are worse than the originals by a country mile. Dan would know!

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The worst aftermarket bolt handle to fit is a D.Holland.
Once the twist is removed,the finger strap will be .030"+ to wide & .090"+ too long for any of the 5 aspects to TIMING.

The absolute worst Custom abortion is any Stiller product.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Unsure if mine is acting like yours or not? I have a Model 700 that had a chamber issue from factory and I had it re-barreled, then extractor broke so I sank a good bit of money into a Sako Style extractor with dual ejectors. (Long story but II feel like I got talked into a mess by the gunsmith I used for the extractor installation). Gun is chambered in 300SAUM and was a tack driver with 180gr Accu-bonds prior to sending it in for the extractor fiasco. Anyway while gunsmith was messing around with gun he said that barrel was not properly torqued from previous smith and chamber needed to be polished, which he claims he did for no charge even though he was skinning me with the extractor install.. Anyways on some ammo, including the handload that shot so well, after all the hassle, it still shot load great but when extracting it seems to slightly hang at the upper end of the bolt lift. Got so much in this rifle now I would really like to get it fixed. If yours is doing same thing and you figure something out, please let me know. I will be following this post closely!

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Interesting, going to tag this in hopes I never need it.

+1

So is the bolt sticky to pull back because primary extraction does not start the process of pulling the brass free?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805

Great video 805. I had to go check my 2 Remingtons. The cam that starts the primary extractions are visible. More so on the G code serial number than on the RR code serial number. The G code is a .243 and the RR is a .223 if that makes a difference but the G code rifle cam is more visible and the primary extraction is slightly more robust.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[quote[/quote]
I had to go check my 2 Remingtons. The cam that starts the primary extractions are visible. More so on the G code serial number than on the RR code serial number. The G code is a .243 and the RR is a .223 if that makes a difference but the G code rifle cam is more visible and the primary extraction is slightly more robust.
kwg

[/quote]

kwg020-
OEM Rem bolt handles from the introduction of the X mark trigger groups in 2006 to present RR prefix serial numbered receiver bolt handles are of "SHORT CAM" design as I've coined them since introduction.
So,both of your handles are TIMED radially at a minimum of 5/32" out of TIME.

There are 5 aspects to be considered for proper bolt/handle TIMING.

HeavyBarrel,
Clean/lap the chamber cleaner than new & check bolt/handle TIMING w/ the firing pin assy removed.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In the 7 Rem 700's I own now, bolt timing where the mating surfaces are suppose it meet just doesn't happen. In all my rifles I can eject a fired case once the lugs disengage and without so called "timing" happening. I think the video is a load of "frog schitt".....just saying!

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dingo

In the 7 Rem 700's I own now, bolt timing where the mating surfaces are suppose it meet just doesn't happen. In all my rifles I can eject a fired case once the lugs disengage and without so called "timing" happening. I think the video is a load of "frog schitt".....just saying!

Most older Rem700 actions have “some” degree of primary extraction and most do extract the fired case. Fired brass that’s been reloaded can cause problems also.
That said once you run the bolt on a properly timed bolt it’s much easier and smoother.

Every Rem700 I own now and here on out will be timed by Dan especially for the price he charges and quality of work.

If anyone here decides to send a bolt to Dan I’d encourage them to come back and comment on their experience also.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A couple of years ago I built a .308W match rifle on a stainless M700 LA to shoot the 185gr/200gr Bergers in F-class. When I trued up the action it only needed .001" taken off of the back face of the bolt lugs and .001" off the lug abutments in the action to get 100% clean-up on the surfaces. When completed the gun had an RCH worth of primary extraction, sometimes I had to work the bolt a couple of times to extract a fired case. I took the required measurements and sent the bolt to Dan for him to work his magic. The difference was like between night and day, no issues with extraction and the bolt operated as smooth as heck. I'm very happy with his work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dans40X
[quote

I had to go check my 2 Remingtons. The cam that starts the primary extractions are visible. More so on the G code serial number than on the RR code serial number. The G code is a .243 and the RR is a .223 if that makes a difference but the G code rifle cam is more visible and the primary extraction is slightly more robust.
kwg

[/quote]

kwg020-
OEM Rem bolt handles from the introduction of the X mark trigger groups in 2006 to present RR prefix serial numbered receiver bolt handles are of "SHORT CAM" design as I've coined them since introduction.

HeavyBarrel,
Clean/lap the chamber cleaner than new & check bolt/handle TIMING w/ the firing pin assy removed.[/quote]

Hello Dan
I'm not sure what the definition of "radially" is and how it affects extraction but I understand my bolt handles are infact NOT timed correctly. I can't tell you I have ever had an extraction problem but I tend to shoot mild loads. If that is an indicator.

I understand this is your expertise and you can correct this issue with repositioning and TIG welding the handle in the correct position.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/13/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dans40X
[quote

kwg

[/quote]

kwg020-

HeavyBarrel,
Clean/lap the chamber cleaner than new & check bolt/handle TIMING w/ the firing pin assy removed.[/quote]

Dan. I have 3 Remington bolts coming your way as soon as I can get back to the post office. I left my contact information in the box. Please check for timing and TIG weld the handles in place. 2 are from Model 700's and one is from a mid 1970's XP100.

kwg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Regarding HeavyBarrel’s post, aftermarket extractors play into the “timing” thing. Meaning if the extractor rim contact placement increases the play in the system you’ll lose extraction.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.