Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick
Just did my '11 Silverado. Valvoline Maxlife high mileage full synthetic and Fram extra guard filter.

Used to have dealership change. I told them Mobile 1 and PF48. After the 3rd time I noticed oil pressure was fluctuating. Looked underneath and it was a PF48e...big difference, PF48 has metal end caps more filter media and better bypass valve, PF48e has less filter media and plastic cage around it, cardboard end caps and schitty bypass valve. So I started looking at Bobistheoilguy and found Fram extra guard filters to be about perfect for my needs(look it up, all other frams junk) For my 5.3 I use the long filter XG10575.

So I did..
Mobile 1
Quakerstate Ultimate durability
Pennzoil Platinum
Supertech
Valvoline Maxlife

Switched off and on between oils. Two stood out. Valvoline Maxlife I can go 12k without oil pressure fluctuating. Supertech about 10k. All the others around 7-8K pressure starts to fluctuate.

Sorry, had to go look....extra guard didnt seem right. Its the Ultra...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was racing I used nothing but Valvolene and Wix filters.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Synthetic is a waste of money.It breaks down just as fast as real oil does.I change mine every 3,000 miles.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Huntz
Synthetic is a waste of money.It breaks down just as fast as real oil does.I change mine every 3,000 miles.

Lol. This worth atleast 2 pages.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Mobil1 and a Motorcraft filter.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mobil1 synthetic oil and Mobil1 filter or Wix XP synthetic filter. Walmart has the best local shelf price on Mobil1 synthetic/high capacity filters but are often out of stock, so ordering one in advance online might be a good idea depending on availability near you.

If doing extended oil interval changes you definitely want the higher capacity synthetic filters. For normal intervals, a good quality regular cellulose filter like Wix, Bosch or OEM is fine IMO. They have good quality silicone anti-drain back valves, filter media and burst pressure. For the Honda, the maintenance minder typically indicates oil change around 7K - 8K miles and I just use an OEM Honda, Wix or Bosch filter. Staying on top of your air filter changes is equally important IMO. If you really want to dial in, you might consider doing an oil analysis or two. I've used the Wix Oil Analysis kits.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Valvoline and either Motorcraft or Wix filters.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Rene. All I use is mobile 1 full synthetic and factory filters on the gas rigs. The 150 requires synthetic blend or better and going full synthetic is the only thing I’ve ever done that helped with fuel mileage

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just did my '11 Silverado. Valvoline Maxlife high mileage full synthetic and Fram extra guard filter.

Used to have dealership change. I told them Mobile 1 and PF48. After the 3rd time I noticed oil pressure was fluctuating. Looked underneath and it was a PF48e...big difference, PF48 has metal end caps more filter media and better bypass valve, PF48e has less filter media and plastic cage around it, cardboard end caps and schitty bypass valve. So I started looking at Bobistheoilguy and found Fram extra guard filters to be about perfect for my needs(look it up, all other frams junk) For my 5.3 I use the long filter XG10575.

So I did..
Mobile 1
Pennzoil Platinum
Supertech
Valvoline Maxlife

Switched off and on between oils. Two stood out. Valvoline Maxlife I can go 12k without oil pressure fluctuating. Supertech about 10k. All the others around 7-8K pressure starts to fluctuate.

Thats the one I use also.
With the 6 qt box of high mileage wally world syn havoline.

Bout 27 28 bucks total.

And I know its done right and not getting ripped off like we know what happens at some oil change outfits.

Oh my margret they sure did that oil change nice.
Yes Henry they are good young men

👍👍👍🤪🤪😄😄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Mobil1 and a Motorcraft filter.

This

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Negatory.

Amsoil and Wix every 10k, and I have a whole bunch of used oil analysis to prove it has no peer.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
MObil 1 and Napa platinums(WIX) or OEM filters. 5k interval.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50

So I did..
Mobile 1
Pennzoil Platinum
Supertech
Valvoline Maxlife

Thats the one I use also.
With the 6 qt box of high mileage wally world syn havoline.

Bout 27 28 bucks total.

And I know its done right and not getting ripped off like we know what happens at some oil change outfits.

Oh my margret they sure did that oil change nice.
Yes Henry they are good young men

👍👍👍🤪🤪😄😄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Oh and the way they folded the ticket, so nice. Lovely day for an oil change.
Harold we could give them a good review on Yelp if we knew how to use our Jitterbug rescue phone.
Don’t worry Hortense, I will fire up the Commodore 64 vanguard analog with 2 meter shortwave internet patch and make a post. Oh wonderful dear, say hi to that VarmintLoad guy.
I’m going to fix us a lips and ass holes mincemeat pie and we can watch Crappy Days on the 13” black n white Philco in the kitchen

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

That's funny, my RAM requires synthetic and is rated to 15,000 mile per oil change.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mobil One and NAPA gold or platinum

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Under normal conditions changing oil/filter every 3,000 miles is a HUGE waste of time and money. Might of been a good policy 50+ years ago but not now. Blackstone oil analysis will easily prove oil will last a lot longer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
"Driven"... "Schaeffers"... or "Maxima"... Best base stocks and anti wear additives $ can buy... Note i use synthetic blends and 10w30 not the pissy thin 0w's and 5w's in my newer stuff ... No problems in 25-30 yrs... Just dont beat on it when the oil is ice cold!...For filters Motorcraft in my fords... Baldwin or K&N in my hot rods/muscle cars and Wix everywhere else... Fram and ac-delco are Shidt now...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That's funny, my RAM requires synthetic and is rated to 15,000 mile per oil change.

There are several manufacturers that "recommend" these extended oil changes. Unfortunately, for many that means they don't bother to even check oil levels unless the idiot light comes on. I use synthetic and still change my oil and filter every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. Then again, at $3.50 a quart for synthetic, there is no reason not to.

What is still difficult to understand is the notion of a sealed automatic transmissions. They don't even have a dipstick or drain plug any more. Yikes...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Yep.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ahhhhh.
Controversy...
Syn
Syn blend
Conventional

6qt box of havoline high mileage syn at wally world like 17 or 18 bucks still

Pretty good deal if ya ask me.....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.