Hop To
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

What does the first sermon say by a first person student of the One Who saves?

"Repent and let each of you be baptised..." Acts 2:38

Let's see the context of this one phrase in Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost.

Not many days earlier, Jesus left to go to Heaven.
The last thing He told the disciples was in the first chapter of Acts.

"To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."

So they were told that they crucified the Savior Jesus Christ. They had to repent/ change their minds and realize Who He was and believe on Him.

'He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses."

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

What occurred at the time they believed the preaching of Peter?
They were automatically baptized by the Holy Spirit into union with Christ and endued with a spiritual gift.
Just days earlier, Jesus was clear as to this distinction between water baptism and this baptism.

Please prayerfully study that through and watch the short video and see if it makes sense. Ok?

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

What a very fascinating precept.

Please answer me this...

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... have I sinned?

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... but offer in a harsh and highly abrasive manner to teach him to fish... have I sinned?

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... but offer in a kind and loving manner to teach him to fish... have I sinned?

I am confused on sin... and please do not cut and paste the Commandments.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Looks like me and wabigoon are going to have to make some more mustard vs ketchup threads to slide this crap off of the main page

Where’s all the old whiney kguntz that bitch about lack of hunting and shooting threads? Cmon on you 79 year old bastards!!!

Ummm, language!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm fairly sure, Jesus healed someone, and said,: "Go, and sin no more."

Was she ,(or you and me), required to be sinless from that point till death in order to be saved?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

What a very fascinating precept.

Please answer me this...

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... have I sinned?

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... but offer in a harsh and highly abrasive manner to teach him to fish... have I sinned?

If a man asks me for a fish to feed himself... and I decline... but offer in a kind and loving manner to teach him to fish... have I sinned?

I am confused on sin... and please do not cut and paste the Commandments.

Is not the bulk of Christian faith... the command to give hopeless men Faith and opportunity to become Sheppards... and not sheep?

Matthew 5:5 regarding the actual word "Meek"...

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/12/21. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree, John was absolutely right.
To distinguish the walk of someone with the Lord after salvation with John's preaching of repentance FOR salvation, it's quoted by someone who listened to him preach.

"Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."
Acts 19:4

The people were told to quit trusting in the law and traditions of what became to be commonly taught in the Jewish religion and repent, meaning (change their minds ). Their Savior, Christ Jesus was beginning His ministry and preaching this as well. So they had to change their minds about the false belief they had in keeping the law and choose to believe in Christ.
Baptism was a work or first step of identifying with Christ AFTER they put their faith in Him...."that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ." Baptism was not a requirement for salvation, but a work of obedience following the free gift.

Does that make sense, Ringman?[/quote]

No. Jesus says, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." After that obedience of love begins.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

What does the first sermon say by a first person student of the One Who saves?

"Repent and let each of you be baptised..." Acts 2:38

Let's see the context of this one phrase in Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost.

Not many days earlier, Jesus left to go to Heaven.
The last thing He told the disciples was in the first chapter of Acts.

"To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."

So they were told that they crucified the Savior Jesus Christ. They had to repent/ change their minds and realize Who He was and believe on Him.

'He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses."

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

What occurred at the time they believed the preaching of Peter?
They were automatically baptized by the Holy Spirit into union with Christ and endued with a spiritual gift.
Just days earlier, Jesus was clear as to this distinction between water baptism and this baptism.

Please prayerfully study that through and watch the short video and see if it makes sense. Ok?

I guess you're not familiar with Acts 10.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There was a young Mennonite couple who came to the church I attended forty-five years ago. The lady was extremely conservative in her attire. One of the older women told her she should "prayerfully" consider her position. She started wearing sleeveless blouses and much shorter dresses. This taught me to not take time to pray about what God has clearly addressed in His Word.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by slumlord
Looks like me and wabigoon are going to have to make some more mustard vs ketchup threads to slide this crap off of the main page

Where’s all the old whiney kguntz that bitch about lack of hunting and shooting threads? Cmon on you 79 year old bastards!!!

Ummm, language!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hahahahahaha!

Now you done it!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Billy is in hell...apparently....so is it kosher to have a video of him?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

There was a young Mennonite couple who came to the church I attended forty-five years ago. The lady was extremely conservative in her attire. One of the older women told her she should "prayerfully" consider her position. She started wearing sleeveless blouses and much shorter dresses. This taught me to not take time to pray about what God has clearly addressed in His Word.

There's certainly certain areas of scripture, some refer to as fundamentals, that are clear as a blue sky. I think that I understand what you mean there. However, I find that when I ask for wisdom and understanding, the Lord gives that and sheds light on some passages that were previously not as clear.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jesus told the woman at the well to go and SIN NO MORE. Being born again, means giving up your sins and starting a new life in Christ. So yes, if you read ALL the scriptures and ALL of what Jesus said, repentance is necessary.

Mathew 4:17 Jesus said "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand"

II Peter 3:9 talks about coming to repentance, and Peter was with Jesus.

Mathew 11:21 Jesus said "woe to you" talking about repentance.

There are over 60 verses talking about repentance.

After repentance, you then must accept Jesus' sacrifice for your sins into your heart. Then the Holy Spirit comes in and opens up the scriptures to your understanding. You don't have to go to a priest or such. Jesus said to pray to the Father in His name. Come before the Father in the Name of Jesus.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

16 minutes

Ephesians 2

Titus 3

Romans 11

Yes, a person must repent.

Repentance is not works anymore than choosing to believe is works. Repentance is a recognition that you have sinned and wronged God. It's an Admission of your state of sin just as believing in Christ is an admission that Christ is Lord of all.

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance" Luke 5:32 This clearly connects repentance with the sin.

The game the preacher plays in the video is he shifts from specific verses which clearly state we must repent of sin to the general statement that every time the word repent is used it means sin. All it takes is one verse and Luke 5:32 does it.

Furthermore, simple belief is not enough to be saved.
"You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!" James 2:19

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think any external act is necessary for salvation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ACTDad
Repentance is a natural result of accepting Christ as your Savior and being in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit. It is not the key to the kingdom, but it does demonstrate the fruits of The Spirt.

I was taught years ago by my pastor friend of a campus ministry that repent meant "turn from your sins.".
Then he gave me his Sermon notes on his study.
I took that as a challenge to do a word and then a doctrine study of the subject.
I'm not saying you are doing this. I'm just pointing out that many preachers do this. He was taking the use of the word as it applies.to believers that sinned and turning it into a salvation verse that was not even meant to be.
When I was saved, it was the result of the first verses of the ones underneath the video. I realized it was not of works, (like trying to give up sins, or bad habits, or giving my life to Christ, or baptism). It was the undeserved kindness/ grace of the Lord offered as a gift free of charge. It cost God's Son His life. It was offered to me, as to everyone else, with no strings attached. Repentance then meant to change my mind to that reality. I asked God for that gift based upon the promises I read about it.....like ... ..I John 5

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

After knowing that I had that gift and could not lose it, I also realized that I still had a problem. I still sinned. In order to stay close to God, I found out that I needed to confess my sins to Him, again based upon His Son's sacrifice.
This is O.T. and N.T. direction for restoration to fellowship. Sometimes it is referred to as turning to God as in Israel rebelling against God and committing idolatry and blasphemy, etc. If they turn in the sense of Nineveh then it's works which didn't save each individual from hell, but rather the nation from God's immediate judgement.
Jonah 3:9

"Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

Since we are not saved by works, their repentance only stayed God's hand of swift destruction on them. Individuals would still need to call upon the Name of the Lord in faith to be saved for ever.

Note also, who else repented?
God turned and repented. Can God sin?
No
So we see that the term repent, as used by Billy Graham and others, does Not mean turn from your sins. God repented many times as the result of believers prayer requests. He did not turn from sins. He simply changed his mind or turned as He did concerning the major city of Nineveh.

That's a whole Bible study there, and maybe more than you wanted to hear. What do you think about the topic?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
HC

Do you hold that a Christian is perfect inwardly but sinful outwardly?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Have you ever read the gospel of John all the way through?

The purpose was stated near the end in chapter 20

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

The purpose of the book is salvation.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/12/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by antlers

^^
This. The first and great Commandment.

And the second is like unto it.
Good works beyond that to your fellow man are just stars in your crown.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by antlers

^^
This. The first and great Commandment.

And the second is like unto it.
Good works beyond that to your fellow man are just stars in your crown.

I think that's what antlers said, but you mentioned the first and great commandment. That makes me think of what Jesus said, not antlers.

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Did this man keep that commandment since he was a child?
Did you keep that since you were a boy?
I didn't. I still fail both of those more than I know.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
As to inside, outside, I understand we are born into sin.

Only one Way, to get to Heaven.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 9 invisible), 14,429 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.