Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I no longer count holes either, but I did at one time and what I found was Quantitative data that shows I get almost 3 times the hit in the circle.
The shooting of roofing tin is a "rednecks ballistic gel" to prove penetration.
I did not believe all the hype at first either, I had a friend give me a few shells to try and they sat on my shelf for a couple of years as I could not wrap my head around #9 shot (I shot skeet for many many years and I know what lead #9 will and will not do).
TSS is not lead and after my second shoulder surgery I finally broke down to give them a try, I have not looked back.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LFC

So now you call me a troll because I dont agree with you ?

Defilnitely no......

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep.plain as day....you called me a dense troll.

Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by battue
Density becomes you....odd that you don't get the TSS correlation.

Then again, trolls are trolls and as long as they are trolling life is fine... laugh

So now you call me a troll because I dont agree with you ?

First you call me dense then you call me a troll....do you even turkey hunt ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First you call me dense then you call me a troll....do you even turkey hunt ?

Occasionally, Turkey's are mainly targets of opportunity in my hunting...However, that fact has no bearing on the first two...

Nor is it necessary to Turkey hunt to understand the hunting benefits of TSS..Like Rick who uses TSS on Ducks-and politely handed you your ass, although if you read between the lines, the politeness was barely covered, I use TSS on Pheasants for the most part if the barrel steel is compatible.

Actually it may be too good for Pheasants as far as a dense pattern at the ranges they are normally shot...So may only use them for a needed second shot...

Last edited by battue; 01/04/22.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Like Rick who uses TSS on Ducks-and politely handed you your ass, although if you read between the lines, the politeness was barely covered.

Originally Posted by RickBin

I am an upland hunter, primarily. Lots of pheasant and quail. My state mandates non-toxic for all hunting, so I had to leave my tried-and-true longtime lead loads behind for in-state hunting. Thus my foray into TSS and duplex loads.

Better study up I thought Rick said he used it for upland hunting in a state that doesn't allow lead shot or even lead boolites....myself I would use Bismuth shot.

Occasionally, Turkey's are mainly targets of opportunity in my hunting...However, that fact has no bearing on the first two...

Turkeys are "targets of opportunity" a turkey hunter has more respect than to say that about a turkey....

Kinda what I figured....so would it be fair to say you are just trolling the turkey hunting section looking for a "target of opportunity" ?

IC B2

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pullit
I no longer count holes either, but I did at one time and what I found was data that shows I get almost 3 times the hit in the circle.

What does "Quantitative data" mean....I'm all for learning big words.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
You're nuts roverboy! Lol! Like talkin about crossbows in an archery forum! My opinion has always been, use whatever you want and can afford. Up to you whether it works or not.

I agree , use whatever you can afford or want to use. Me pesonally, why would I want to use TSS when what I've been using for the last 7 or 8 years has worked, with great sucess. In the smaller gauge shotguns, it's awesome and has put them in the game. When I started turkey hunting in the mid '90's, nobody used a .410, and not many used a 20 gauge. But, in a 12, which is what I use, I don't think you need it.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
That big 12 is heavy to tote and it kicks like hell....it kill on both ends. (Not a good choice for girly men).

I shoot a big heavy 12 gauge and wouldn't have it any other way.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LFC

Better study up I thought Rick said he used it for upland hunting.

Turkeys are "targets of opportunity" a turkey hunter has more respect than to say that about a turkey....

Kinda what I figured....so would it be fair to say you are just trolling the turkey hunting section looking for a "target of opportunity" ?

Squirrels, Rabbits, Grouse, an occasional Wood Duck and even Turkeys are often targets of opportunity..Which again has nothing to do with respect for any game..Except in the eyes of those who are dense...

So it not only wouldn't be fair... it would be wrong..You can't win for trying, but it most definitely is fun to watch laugh

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
One hard putt and you stuck your head up...

Fast on the quote you missed my edit....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
I've heard the ping pong golf ball comparison many times....you'd think the tss guys could come up with a better comparison.
A golf ball and an ice pick would be closer

Judging from what you've said I take it you're a waterfowl hunter.?

Duck are ducks and turkeys are turkeys.

Turkeys...I've killed turkeys with 4x5x7 Hevi shot. Ducks and turkeys with Bismuth #4s.

Lead #4s, #5s, and #6s out of a 12 ga. 4# shot out of a 20.and a 12 ga. and #4 Bismuth and lead shot out of 2 vintage 10 gauges.

A turkey is harder to kill than a duck. You break a turkeys wing and he might run off at 35 mph. You knock him down with small shot and he might get up and run or fly off.

Chop a turkeys head off with an axe and he'll run around a while..

I talk with alot of guys all over the country most won't post their horror stories with TSS on the internet....they run the gambit "I knocked him down twice, three times and he got away"....to "my pattern was so small I blew a hole in him and had to chase him down and shoot him again".

Contrary to popular belief it doesn't take a zillion pellets to kill a turkey.

Until Winchester came out with the Shot Lock Technology we never had ammo that shot #4 pellets very good.

Then the turkey hunting stunt men came on the scene that think they're cool because they shot a turkey with a small guage like a .410....everybody doesn't think they are cool or that they're some super duper turkey hunter.

Hopefully the Game and Fish will come around and outlaw some of the crazy nonsense that is spoiling our sport...
Like gobbler decoys, hunting out of enclosed blinds and hunting turkeys with children's guns

I agree, you brought up some interesting points.

Last edited by roverboy; 01/04/22.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LFC
I no longer count holes either, but I did at one time and what I found was data that shows I get almost 3 times the hit in the circle.

Quantitative data deals with numbers and things you can measure objectively: dimensions such as height, width, and length. Temperature and humidity. Prices. Area and volume.

Bless your heart, try and keep up

Last edited by pullit; 01/04/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To be fair, many of the turkeys I've killed in my lifetime were "targets of opportunity." Usually when deer and fall turkey seasons overlapped. I've killed as many turkeys with buckshot and, on occassion, rifled slugs, as I have during spring season.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/04/22.
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

Quantitative data deals with numbers and things you can measure objectively: dimensions such as height, width, and length. Temperature and humidity. Prices. Area and volume.

Bless your heart, try and keep up

You get that off the internet ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, I am from the south, we say Bless your heart all the time

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by LFC
One hard putt and you stuck your head up...

Fast on the quote you missed my edit....

Your attempt at humor, is equally as dismal as your understanding the facts vs fiction...You are on a roll. laugh

(Actually just returned from the Dogs at the Vets and missed two edits...makes little difference.)

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
roverboy, mid 90's? Welcome to turkey hunting! Lol! I used to give Dwain Bland info for his books. Not really, but a good BS thread needs some good BS! My days of running around with a Remington SP-10 are over, the hills somehow have gotten steeper and longer. But I totally agree, TSS is what brings out the magic in a sub-bore. But as said, you still have to do what you have to do to kill a turkey.

I never used roof tin, used to use steel soup cans to test for energy.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/04/22.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I only said you were dense and a troll...

The "bless your heart" line is the one that cut deep....

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
No, I am from the south, we say Bless your heart all the time

I meant the definition of "Quantitative data".

Bless your heart.

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.