Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mathman you should be fine, it is the little blokes who seem to need to compensate

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 01/08/22.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by johnw
If you're happy with what you've got, then be happy. I don't care if you shoot a 38-55 or a 7mm Patriot, or a phased plasma rifle.

ooo la la, where can I get one of them phased plasma rifles? That's gotta be better than all this legacy crap... smile

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But...
If you're new to rifles, and need something to punch steel or fur and do it well, with no fuss, the 6.5 CM is likely the best avenue to success in it's class.

Anybody wanna bet that there are more shooters today that been in the game for less than 10 years, than all other shooters combined?

Just a hunch on my part, but I'd put $50 on it with a handshake...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Puddle
If you're happy with what you've got, then be happy. I don't care if you shoot a 38-55 or a 7mm Patriot, or a phased plasma rifle.

ooo la la, where can I get one of them phased plasma rifles? That's gotta be better than all this legacy crap... smile

They're on GunBroker.
But the seller only accepts Galactic Credits, and only ships via Universe Parcel Service (the big brown space ship) to your Galactic Weapons Licensee.

Last edited by johnw; 01/08/22.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm about 6' 2" and the scale just read 224. Do I have to sell my 6.5 now? grin

Yeah, I'm same height and about 5 pounds less than that, do I need to sell my 7-08 AND my 243 win?

I'm 6'7" and 375. And I'll turn 64 on Monday. If I started today, and burned my money, I couldn't do more with another cartridge than I did with a .243 before I was 30.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
[quote=JGRaider]I'm betting there are loads of hunters who love the 6.5CM who aren't exactly "long range afficionados". There is a great selection of bullets for any and all intentions, it's a light kicker, it's extremely accurate, wide variety of factory ammo,etc. If one would take the blinders off, there is an awful lot to like about the cartridge.

Not I'll pull a "badass" on you guys.......my buddy's have MLD ground, and I cull whitetail does for them evey year (local mexicans love me). Killed almost 70 in the last 3 years with a wide variety of 6.5mm bullets. Moral to the story is there are a wide variety of reliable bullets that kill the crap out of deer sized game. That doesn't include the 100 or so hogs I "tested" bullets on, and they're much tougher than any whitetail IMO/IME.

For the most part, killin' whitetails is not much of a test for bullets.............................

Just sayin'.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m 6’3” and 250 but have never liked shooting heavy recoiling rifles. A typical weight 30/06 when shooting off a bench and for more than a few rounds is about as much as I care for. I’ll shoot 12 gauge clays loads up to a couple hundred at a time or a box or two of heavy waterfowl loads no problem but I’m not to crazy about heavy recoiling rifles off a bench. Heavy recoiling handguns bother me less. Maybe biomechanics as I have really large hands and long arms even for my height. My hands tend to swallow up most of handgun frame and my long arms I think act as more of a shock absorber compared to someone with shorter arms. I’ve just never liked heavy recoil directly into my shoulder pocket.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
6’0”, 231 but I’m working on getting to the teens.

The lighter the recoil the better I shoot.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’m 6’3” and 250 but have never liked shooting heavy recoiling rifles. A typical weight 30/06 when shooting off a bench and for more than a few rounds is about as much as I care for. I’ll shoot 12 gauge clays loads up to a couple hundred at a time or a box or two of heavy waterfowl loads no problem but I’m not to crazy about heavy recoiling rifles off a bench. Handguns no problem. Maybe biomechanics as I have big meaty hands and long arms even for my height. I’ve never liked heavy recoil directly into my shoulder pocket while trying to shoot right groups.

i agree at my older age now i no longer enjoy bench shooting the bigger cartridges anymore, matter fact i had a Bat action 6.5x 284 Norma bench rifle that i shot well and was in the Master division FTR 600 yd. class but shooting laying down that recoil was starting to be to much so i had it rechambered to a 6.5 Creedmoor . i have been thinking about making this Bat action bench rifle a switch barrel now either a 6 BR or a 25 BR just because then this bench rifle will have even less recoil . > another reason the the 6.5 Creedmoor is more popular is the name Creedmoor it is a neat name plus that name was in the Rocky movies also .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If 6.5 creed is ghey what the hell, I have a 6mm creed. Is that more ghey?

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/08/22.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Armednfree
If 6.5 creed is ghey what the hell, I have a 6mm creed. Is that more ghey?

i gotta say this > dike cartridge just a joke.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
[quote=JGRaider]I'm betting there are loads of hunters who love the 6.5CM who aren't exactly "long range afficionados". There is a great selection of bullets for any and all intentions, it's a light kicker, it's extremely accurate, wide variety of factory ammo,etc. If one would take the blinders off, there is an awful lot to like about the cartridge.

Not I'll pull a "badass" on you guys.......my buddy's have MLD ground, and I cull whitetail does for them evey year (local mexicans love me). Killed almost 70 in the last 3 years with a wide variety of 6.5mm bullets. Moral to the story is there are a wide variety of reliable bullets that kill the crap out of deer sized game. That doesn't include the 100 or so hogs I "tested" bullets on, and they're much tougher than any whitetail IMO/IME.

For the most part, killin' whitetails is not much of a test for bullets.............................

Just sayin'.

MM

Maybe not, but it's way better than lip service. You must also have missed the "hogs" part. Just sayin......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
6’0”, 231 but I’m working on getting to the teens.

The lighter the recoil the better I shoot.

P

You and everyone else on the planet. I never visited with David Tubb and had him reference using a 30-378.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I worked with a fellow who lived in a remote part of the county where the residents pretty much did what they wanted to, without worrying about getting caught. This man admitted to killing a deer whenever he wanted fresh meat, which according to him was rather often. Being curious, I asked him what gun he used, and he said a 22 rifle. I told him that I didn't care what he did on his own land, but that he should use a bigger cartridge than that. He quit working with us, and I lost touch with him for several years. When I next saw him, he told me that he'd taken my advice and started using a bigger rifle, and that I had been right, the bigger cartridge did kill better. The bigger cartridge he'd starting using was a 22 Magnum.

I tell that story to say this............whether or not a 22 Magnum killed deer any better than a 22 LR is not the point, the point is that the guy perceived that it did, just as we often perceive that a certain cartridge is "better" than another, based on our experiences. My late brother thought the 7-08 was the cat's meow when it came to killing whitetails, just as I believed the 270 Winchester was for many years. Either of those will kill any whitetail deer that ever walked, and that is etched in stone What is also etched in stone is that other cartridges are just as capable of doing that, with such things as less recoil, a bigger selection of rifles, and a better choice of ammo...........and that is where the 6.5 CM really stands out, and why it has become so popular. It doesn't really matter whether it's better than anything else, it's the perception that it is that people see.

I like the 6.5 CM, and own two of them. Both shoot very well, and are very easy to work up loads for. But, I also shoot and like other cartridges as well. I still consider the 270 to be the perfect deer cartridge. I hunt with a 243 as much as I do with a 6.5 CM, and I still think the 308 is a better round for long range shooting. But, since this is a discussion about why the 6.5 gets more attention than a 7-08, it should be rather obvious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Just sayin'.

MM

Maybe not, but it's way better than lip service. You must also have missed the "hogs" part. Just sayin......

I didn't miss a thing...............I just let that one ride.

But there's little bitty hogs & then there's a few real hogs................no idea, nor do I care what size hogs they were. Probably a mix. But then again, you must be one bullet testing, killing machine.

Rock on dude.

The point it, citing whitetails as a testing bed for bullets is the next thing to no testing at all.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm about 6' 2" and the scale just read 224. Do I have to sell my 6.5 now? grin

Yeah, I'm same height and about 5 pounds less than that, do I need to sell my 7-08 AND my 243 win?

I'm 6'7" and 375. And I'll turn 64 on Monday. If I started today, and burned my money, I couldn't do more with another cartridge than I did with a .243 before I was 30.

Families can be fed, tribes kept in meat, trophy walls covered and arks filled with creatures slain with the lowly 243 Winchester. Why we debate the usefulness of cartridges of greater caliber and velocity, I do not know.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Just sayin'.

MM

I didn't miss a thing...............I just let that one ride.

But there's little bitty hogs & then there's a few real hogs................no idea, nor do I care what size hogs they were. Probably a mix. But then again, you must be one bullet testing, killing machine.

Rock on dude.

The point it, citing whitetails as a testing bed for bullets is the next thing to no testing at all.

MM

With all that being said, it matters more than punching holes in paper, since most of the folks sitting around this virtual campfire are indeed "deer" hunters, even if they hunt elk, bear and/or elephants.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Montana Man,

So where to do you draw the line on "bigger than whitetail" cartridges?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s the new 7mm RM.

Oh the tales that were told of the 7emem. Lol. “Shoots flat for about 5 hunnert, then raises up a bit” 😂Creed bro seems right on it’s heels for gun counter claims that defy physics and belief.

Both fine cartridges obviously, the humor however can’t be denied.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here’s an honest question and not trolling for arguments. I always hear how easy deer are to kill. Living in Michigan I’m a deer hunter as far as bigger game goes. I’ve only killed one bear, that was with a 45/70 and he ran about 60 yards. I have zero experience with other big game so maybe deer are easy to kill as “big game” goes IDK. It’s never made sense to me though reading how easy deer are to kill.

A typical deer double lung shot low and tight behind the front leg with a fairly big deer gun say .308 Win or 30/06 ect is going to run 20-50 yards in my experience. I watched my son shoot a few with a .223 and they still ran about the same distance albeit with a lesser blood trail based on a small sample size. Occasionally they drop in their tracks and very rarely they might go a 100 yards shot like that. If you shoot them poorly they run back into a swamp or other thick cover and odds are you won’t find them or it will be a major tracking job and a some luck if you do.

I can’t imagine that other similar sized North American or even African Plains game would be all that different or tougher. Punch a halfway decent bullet through both lungs and I’d think anything will die fast but if you don’t you have a challenge on your hands even if it’s a deer.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.