Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I've killed almost 50 of those too, several have weighed over 300lbs live weight. They're not any harder to kill than a whitetail, IME, when a good bullet is put in the right place. Yes, that includes 6.5CM's.

Obviously, you've missed my point utterly & completely.

My comment was never about the headstamp whatsoever, only about bullet performance & using whitetails as a medium to just that performance by.

Bullets trump headstamps everyday, all day....................within reason.

Done with this nonsense.

MM

“It’s the boolit, not the head stamp…”

Now where have we heard that?

Good stuff regardless of the source.

DF

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
Damn... My wife is right... I am a dorky a-hole!

Ditto, and I don't even have either....but -

I'm going to have to puzzle this out.

I was looking for a 7-08 barrel for the Rem 725SA and came up with a .260 instead.

Hmmmmm. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=MontanaMan][quote=JGRaider]
“It’s the boolit, not the head stamp…”

Now where have we heard that?

Good stuff regardless of the source.

DF

No... No... Nooooo.....

As a young child of the 60s, the only rifles I knew anything of were what my Dad and uncles carried. Which, as a matter of record included three 30-06s and one .257 Roberts.
In 1967 my Dad started talking about a mystical, magical cartridge called .243 Winchester. We had recently moved and a new family friend carried a .243 for spot and stalk red fox shooting (which is an addiction), and also used it in Colorado yearly for mule deer and elk.

I can remember the day I first heard the words ".243 Winchester" uttered. We were first timers at the barber shop near our new home, and the sound of the cartridges name drew me. Maybe because it was spoken of with reverence. We made a couple of lifelong friends that day, including the barber, who is (still) one of the biggest names in bird dogs in that area. Also the family friend who introduced us to fox shooting.

In early '69 Dad brought home his model 700 .243. And it was everything it had been described as. In my mind I knew the cartridge was great the first time I heard it's name spoken.
In fact, I wanna postulate that the term "Mic Drop" came about as a result of mention of the .243 Winchester cartridge ending rifle conversations.

I wanna vote that we end all of this "bullets matter more than headstamps" nonsense...
shocked grin cool

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Montana Man,

So where to do you draw the line on "bigger than whitetail" cartridges?

John,

I have no line & the comment was not about any cartridge at all; I simply stated that drawing conclusions about bullet performance on whitetails is pretty worthless.....................UNLESS all you ever intend to hunt with that bullet is very light, small boned animals of similar size.

Most any bullet works quite well on whitetails.

As you, & everyone else here knows as well, that same bullet(s) that might be absolutely devastating death beyond compare on whitetails, may very well be an equally devastating disaster on elk, or moose, or even large mule deer, just to make the point.

MM

I’ve seen a handful of small, hill country whitetails shot and not recovered after being hit with a 22-250. I’ve never fired a 22-250 personally, but I have two buddies who were smitten with them for a time. My godfather was another, but he only took head and neck shots. The deer I saw get away were shot in the shoulder/ribs.

I routinely shoot deer and pigs with a 223 and a 70 grain Speer with great results, but I’m the shooting/handloding guru in my group. My friends were using factory ammo (neither of them reload) that I’m certain was designed for varmint hunting. Those were obvious cases where just any old bullet wouldn’t do, even on small Texas does that may have weighed 100 pounds on the larger side, probably less.

So in my non-gun writer, Elmer Fudd experience, yes, there are bullets that I would not use for deer. Furthermore, I’d say the 22-250 is a prime example of a cartridge that would best be left to handloaders if deer hunting is the objective. The slow standard twist rate and high velocity lends the cartridge to varmint hunting, a point often overlooked or missed by folks buying whatever 22-250 ammo they happen to find at the local sporting goods store.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

I own both and like both, but I seem to have a greater attachment to the 7-08.

The launch and continued push regarding 6.5 CreedMoor was successful to to the following:

1. Great ammo choices for both hunting AND match shooting from major manufacturers @ fairly reasonable prices. Ammo manufacturers have typically left everything except 223 and 308 match ammo to hand-loaders exclusively.

2. Twist rates that corresponded to where current projectile tech was with an eye toward the future and where projectile R&D was headed.

3. Chamber dimensions created with projectiles AND magazine confines taken into account.

4. Ubiquitous LRF's, easy to use ballistic programs, holdover reticles and/or turrets that allow the previously uninitiated to do that which they've never done.

There's nothing "magic" about any particular chambering, but, very few chamberings offer all the options, data. and components OTC (pre-current scarcity) @ one's fingertips.

A much shorter way to say it would be that the 6.5 CreedMoor is the most properly executed and supported launch of a new cartridge to date. It's the 1st "Turnkey" option for hunting and match shooting from a single platform w/factory available options.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Kids whack a fair number of deer every year with the .223.

Grown ups, not so much. Need more gun.

Did someone say something about the boolit???

Hmm…

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It’s called a “bullet” by functional adults… but yes, killing things isn’t especially difficult.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I wonder how many deer get away wounded with the 223. I have shot quite a few over the years with .22 caliber rifles. Never lost one in probably 70+ kills. But never had a great confidence in them either.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wonder how many deer get away wounded with the 223. I have shot quite a few over the years with .22 caliber rifles. Never lost one in probably 70+ kills. But never had a great confidence in them either.

Shot for shot, I bet not as many as with the 22-250!

Every deer I have killed with my 223 (9) has been a complete pass through and all have had similar looking exit holes that showed good expansion. Even still, the best blood trails of those 9 have been anemic compared to our “standard” deer cartridges.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/09/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1
It seems like the 7mm-08 can dupe the 6.5 CM ballistic wise and maybe even edge it (haven't looked past 500 yards) . Is it the lighter recoil of the 6.5 or the 30 degree shoulder of the 6.5? Disclaimer: I have no idea what the benefit of a 30 degree shoulder is, maybe less case stretch??

The launch and continued push regarding 6.5 CreedMoor was successful to to the following:

1. Great ammo choices for both hunting AND match shooting from major manufacturers @ fairly reasonable prices. Ammo manufacturers have typically left everything except 223 and 308 match ammo to hand-loaders exclusively.

2. Twist rates that corresponded to where current projectile tech was with an eye toward the future and where projectile R&D was headed.

3. Chamber dimensions created with projectiles AND magazine confines taken into account.

4. Ubiquitous LRF's, easy to use ballistic programs, holdover reticles and/or turrets that allow the previously uninitiated to do that which they've never done.

There's nothing "magic" about any particular chambering, but, very few chamberings offer all the options, data. and components OTC (pre-current scarcity) @ one's fingertips.

A much shorter way to say it would be that the 6.5 CreedMoor is the most properly executed and supported launch of a new cartridge to date. It's the 1st "Turnkey" option for hunting and match shooting from a single platform w/factory available options.

Good post. Imo

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............................70 for 70 with 22 cal rifles & yet no confidence?

What would it take to make you feel confident?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

Succinctlier, society demands instant gratification, and the 6.5 Creedmoor delivers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm about 6' 2" and the scale just read 224. Do I have to sell my 6.5 now? grin

Are they saying you way too big a dude to be shooting a “woman’s” round?

Hmm…

DF

Proponents of bigger rounds say things like the 243 or 250 Savage or 6.5 Creedmoor are fine for women, kids and men of small stature. I'm worried they'll quit working for me. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My money would be on whatever cartridge is mostly shot at deer results in the most wounded deer getting away.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And when you’re really in the know, it’s called a “pill”.

Originally Posted by Brad
It’s called a “bullet” by functional adults… but yes, killing things isn’t especially difficult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
And when you’re really in the know, it’s called a “pill”.

Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks man smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

My money would be on whatever cartridge is mostly shot at deer results in the most wounded deer getting away.

You might be on to something there.

Except for the 6.5CM. I’ve heard you can’t miss with a creed.
whistle
sick

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/09/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can miss with anything, but a Creedmoor is so easy to shoot well that if you miss it's really bad for you.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
You can miss with anything, but a Creedmoor is so easy to shoot well that if you miss it's really bad for you.

You saying it's not a good "excuse" or "alibi" round....?

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............................70 for 70 with 22 cal rifles & yet no confidence?

What would it take to make you feel confident?

MM

Good question.

100% success rate during 70 opportunities, would make me pretty confident in my ability to hit my point of aim, the rifles' collective accuracy potential, and the bullets' collective expansion and penetration potential.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.