24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
S
SSMT Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
S
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
I’ve heard all the benefits of carbon barrels but how do they hold up to impacts in the field? Has anyone experienced chips, nicks or cracks and is small damage like this repairable?

BP-B6

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,959
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,959
I've experienced no issues with durability. None.

*Mine are all Proofs.



Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
S
SSMT Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
S
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
Thanks for your feedback. Ill be picking one up soon, I plan on this being my backcountry elk and deer rifle. I definitely don’t want issues way back in.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,227
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,227
I have 2 rifles with Bartlein CF wrapped barrels. I've only hunted with one of them over the last 2 seasons. It does have a couple small nicks in the CF, nothing other than cosmetic. Of the CF wrapped I think the Proof might hold up better on the outside, but not a better barrel other than maybe "prettier".


"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,515
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,515
I've wondered about this as well. I've hunted a proof barreled rifle a couple of times this year but not heavily. Looking forward to feedback from others who've used one longer in hard use.

IC-A B3

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,246
H
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,246
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel



" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
S
SSMT Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
S
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
I’ll have to look for that video.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,515
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,515
That sounds pretty tough. Thanks HB!

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5,828
G
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5,828
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel


I watched that vid, impressive as hell.

Heavy barrel; PM sent.

Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 276
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 276
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL

IC-B B4

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,918
T
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
T
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,918

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,959
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,959
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL


Mine will be shot out and replaced well before five decades passes—they won't make it 10 years.


Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 956
J
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 956
I have 3 Proofs and have been impressed with them for a few reasons. I have not dropped or had any instances to test the barrels for damage but with normal usage they look like they did when I got them.

7mm REM Mag with a 26” Sendero Lite
6mm CM with a 24” Sendero Lite
223 Wylde with a 18” Sendero Lite on an AR

I use a suppressor on the 6mm and AR; both with ASR Brakes.


I like how they feel, look, carry, but most importantly, all three rifles are excellent on accuracy. I would put them up against any other name brand steel barrels that I have for accuracy and they might in fact be the most accurate.

I used the 6mm with a group of friends this weekend and it got lots of awesome comments.

I will most definitely buy Proof Carbon Fiber barrels again.


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV-TRX
Who's Online Now
653 members (1Akshooter, 06hunter59, 16penny, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3-22

UDG-IP









Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8815 MB (Peak: 1.0085 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-05-16 19:17:46 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS