Campfire Tracker
H
Comedy gold

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The other thing I never worried about is how heavy my 12 gauge was. My A5 is just over 7 lbs unloaded, with a 26" barrel and Kicks choke. My Remington 870 SPS wasn't any bigger than a 20g version. Yeah, back in the day my Remington SP10 was a bear to carry. But I used that not out of necessity, but just because I wanted to. Gun weight with modern alloy receivered guns is, IMO, a non-issue for the vast majority of hunters.

Girly men like little girly guns....

Originally Posted by 10Glocks

TSS shows some ballistic advantages. No question. I agree with that. But TSS will never help me scout better, set up better, or call better. If I do those things well, I don't need more range or more lethality. Lead is perfectly adequate if you can bring a turkey in to a reasonable range. If you can't, maybe TSS is compensation for a different deficiency.

From the dawn on shot gunnery it's always been about stretching the distance....

The TSS guys used to brag all over the internet about their magical long range kills when it became unpopular they changed their tune to it has "more lethality".

I don't agree with TSS having a Ballistic advantage or having more lethality....why because at 40 to 60 yards I don't believe ballistics play any part with a shotgun pellet....their assessment comes straight from the TSS Internet Handbook.

Bottom line TSS from the start was about shooting turkeys at longer ranges....if they didn't believe it kills turkeys further they wouldn't spend the money it.

I just chuckle when I see the TSS guy claiming "I kill all my turkeys at close range and I shoot TSS"....

Makes no sense to me if I claimed to shoot all my turkeys at 20 to 25 yards I would be shooting a dove load.

I agree. Like I said before I personally don't need TSS in my 12 gauge 3" ammo. I don't have a problem at all with guys that want to use it. Most of the birds I've killed have been 40 yards and under.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As far as shot size goes, some pretty good turkey hunters were loading a couple of ounces of #9 lead in 3" shells for really good pattern density before there was any TSS or any 12 ga. 3.5" shells. Nothing new under the sun

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just because I haven't looked in a long time, I looked up what 20ga. TSS turkey shells are going for now. WOW! Glad I have what I have and don't need any. I've always said ammo is the cheapest part of any hunt, but glad I'm not looking for any...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
TSS ammo price is insane. $10+ PER SHELL for 12 gauge.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I hear the material to make TSS shot only comes from China? Never looked into that, but maybe that's a reason right now, if a reason needs to be given anymore...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/09/22.
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
It will be a cold day in hell before I shoot an American Wild turkey with Chinese made shot.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Then you may be shooting them with Chinese lead. It's my undertstanding that hardly any, if any at all, ammo companies in the US makes their own lead shot anymore. China imports lead shot like they do tungsten.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The TSS shot isn't Chinese made, it's made here from Chinese components. But I hear you, it's near impossible to avoid what doesn't have a Chinese influence.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/09/22.

NRA life member

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
between government regulation, and corporate greed hard to find much that doesn't have some part or whole made in China

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
We're screwed....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
The TSS shot isn't Chinese made, it's made here from Chinese components. But I hear you, it's near impossible to avoid what doesn't have a Chinese influence.

I think we're talking about the shot itself. The shot does appear to be chinese-made. I can't imagine making shot here from chinese tungsten when finished shot is so available from china.

TSS (Tungsten Super Shot) is another nontoxic tungsten-composite type coming from China.

https://shootingsportsman.com/tss-shotshells/

Not that it matters much. Something on or with you on your turkey hunt is from, China.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/10/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Finally found where TSS shot is made and you're correct 10Glocks, it's in China. At least the loaded shells are still made here!

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Many are complaining they can't get Russian primers....and Russia and China are buds....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
We're screwed....

Yep, in so many damn ways too.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if y'all are just figuring this out y'all are a couple of years late to the party.
As far as I know lead shot is no longer made in the US. At least that was the word 3 years ago at the Grand American Trap Shoot

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
PS - the 20ga is a dream to carry. And with TSS is infinitely more effective than even the best patterning 12s with lead

there are 12ga that are a dream to carry. I would not say infinitely either. Wiinchester long beards lead is is pretty effective

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by pullit
The turned to powder was his words so who know.
Back to the point, I do think the Long Breads are a hard shell to beat in 12 ga. I have not seen or know anybody that has used them in a 20 ga.

they work fine if you keep your shots under 40 yds

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
TSS shot is unbelievable in how it patterns and kills way out there. Of course you have to play with chokes as Mod or Imp Mod is about as tight as you go.

Another application is TSS for coyotes, and if you live in open areas where shots are at 60-80 yards, this is where you see TSS make some remarkable kills, time after time.

For close range Turkey, 12ga, why in the heck would anyone want to spend the money on TSS? TSS is a special application, and if you want to see turkeys fold up on the fly, TSS will get the job done where lead will just not penetrate....this is where I use most of my TSS on turkey's.

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.