Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TNRock Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Recently threw together a new rifle. That will stay on the side by side with me. I'm looking at optics, I like the looks of some of the 1x. I would like something with quick target acquisition, but still he able to shoot small (rabbit size) targets out to 150 yds. Is that possible? I do not want open turrets. Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has? Or am I better suited with a 2-7?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rockhound
Recently threw together a new rifle. That will stay on the side by side with me. I'm looking at optics, I like the looks of some of the 1x. I would like something with quick target acquisition, but still he able to shoot small (rabbit size) targets out to 150 yds. Is that possible? I do not want open turrets. Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has? Or am I better suited with a 2-7?

You said 1x - do not underestimate the capability of a DOT sight....... (some a quite capable) I like the 30mm tubes better...............

Last edited by Muffin; 01/19/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 1-4 or 1-6 should let you do want you want, and still be very fast at 1x. I just put a SWFA on my Mini 14 and it’s pretty nice. Not sure how the reticle will work on small field targets yet, but it has an open diamond with a center dot. Open turrets, but the clicks are very firm and not likely to wander. Riding around on a SxS, I’d want something that will hold zero, so would focus on user reviews about that. No idea about the reliability of the Vortex you mention, but I think the reticle should work.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've seen some nice 1 x 6 scopes meant for an AR.. I have bought a 1 x 4, but admit would like to upgrade to a 1 x 6.

I just need to do so....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
See if you can’t find a used Weaver 1x3. If not that, then just buy a new Leupold 1x4.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought a demo one of the SWFA 1-6 HDs and cannot say enough good about it. Though FFP, they really got the reticle right on this one. Useable at all magnifications. I’ve not seen a single FFP LPVO that has a better designed reticle. Glass is very good and mechanics are bullet proof.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about an Eotech holographic?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Interesting question. I'm torn. I think an AR "deserves" a low power optic and I have a NIB 1.75-6X Leupold but I can see accuracy reduction with the 3-9X I currently have on it vs the 4.5-14X I used when working up loads. I like the practical application of the lower powered scope but as an accuracy guy it truly pains me to know my optics aren't up to the rifle's accuracy capability.

In your shoes, I would start with a higher powered scope and do some load workup / testing first, then see what the level of accuracy your gun has suggests about how much optics it can use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
How about an Eotech holographic?

I’ve looked through those long ago, but not used one. I have though, reflex and tube red dots, prisms, and See All open sights. None of them allow me to aim as small and see as well as a scope. Perhaps others’ eyes will, but mine don’t, even corrected. Just passed my drivers license vision test without glasses an hour ago with my 20/25 vision, so it ain’t so bad either way.

I never cared for the look or form-factor of an Eotech, but certainly others like them pretty well.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Tract offers a new 1X8 straight tube that would be excellent for your AR

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I bought a demo one of the SWFA 1-6 HDs and cannot say enough good about it. Though FFP, they really got the reticle right on this one. Useable at all magnifications. I’ve not seen a single FFP LPVO that has a better designed reticle. Glass is very good and mechanics are bullet proof.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

John

I grabbed one of these off of sample list at the recommendation of stick and have been impressed with the reticle as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another for consideration is the NX8 1-8. It does have an exposed elevation turret though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like and use the Vortex Razor HD gen II E 1-6x24 and the Steiner 1-4x24 p4xi. Both have good daylight visible illumination and BDC reticles. The Razor is heavier at 21.5 ounces but has more magnification and better glass. It also costs more at around $1400. The Steiner runs about $800 normally. Cheaper scopes like the Strike Eagle and the Primary Arms 1-6x work reasonably well for around $300.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I bought one of these and it has proven to be a tough useful scope that tracks well and hold zero. Not too expensive either.

https://www.natchezss.com/konus-kon...ope-engraved-ill-center-dot-reticle.html

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has?

Yes

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The reticle absolutely sucks for any type of precision shooting IMO.

I was tasked with working up a load for a buddies DD that had that optic on top. Trying to shoot groups with that reticle was a pain to say the least.

Trigicons Huron/Ascent line may be worth looking at. I have one of each.....and have been pleased with both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Tract offers a new 1X8 straight tube that would be excellent for your AR

1-8 or 1x8? 🤔

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a 1-4x24 Vortex Viper PST on my competition service rifle for distances ranging from 100-600 yards.

T
TNRock Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

T
TNRock Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Interesting question. I'm torn. I think an AR "deserves" a low power optic and I have a NIB 1.75-6X Leupold but I can see accuracy reduction with the 3-9X I currently have on it vs the 4.5-14X I used when working up loads. I like the practical application of the lower powered scope but as an accuracy guy it truly pains me to know my optics aren't up to the rifle's accuracy capability.

In your shoes, I would start with a higher powered scope and do some load workup / testing first, then see what the level of accuracy your gun has suggests about how much optics it can use.

Tom

That's exactly my situation. I'm terrified of losing accuracy with a low powered scope. At the same time, 99% of my shots are less than 100 yds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.