I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper

The paper is where most of the advantages will stay. smile

could not agree more
wink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah a 270 130 grain bullet going 300-400 fps more then a standard 130 grain 270 is no difference, yet we have campfire members who go to improved cartridges all the time that gain maybe 100-150 fps.. See the Mashburn thread for an example.

It also seems that people somehow think that Mark V's are 9-10 lb rifles, maybe a visit to weatherby.com will educate them so they can correctly compare apples with apples.

Ammo availability, LMAO, I can't remember the last time my local gun stores had 270 win,7 mag and 6.5 creed moor in stock.

I have had/have 4 Mark V 270 WBY both Japanese and US made. Not one has not shot factory ammo better then any 270 Win I have owned, despite a tad more recoil and muzzle blast.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I could care less if it factory loads are available.

To me the differences are like between the:
280 and the 7mm RM.
or the
6.5-06 and the 264
or the
30-06 and the 300 Win.

(I can not remember shooting factory loads in any of the above and I own or have owned all but the 6.5-06)

To me the 270 Weatherby and the 7mm Rem Mag are very similar, just as the 270 and the 280 are.

I just do not understand liking one and dis-liking the other.

I just saw that Ruger #1 in Guns International. The ad says Leupold scope included and the price seems very low in today’s market. $700.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/25/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another interesting “fire” thread with a mix of great advice, diverse experience and the usual amount of butt hurt. I’m a huge Weatherby fan (still have a 340 and 300). What I appreciate most with Weatherbys is high quality accurate rifles and exceptional factory ammo that in nearly every case is faster and more accurate than I could roll on my own (I’ve always been able to match velocity or accuracy but rarely at the same time). I also learned over the decades that there was a limit for me on practical benefits (the cost and recoil for a non braked 30-378 wasn’t worth the extra 200fps I got over a 300wby shooting the same bullets). When I moved from a free state to NY, I quickly learned that unusual ammo had to be purchased online as it simply wasn’t obtainable locally. Post Sandyhook, all online/mail ordered ammo purchases were outlawed. I quickly learned feeding my Weatherbys or a 7STW was going to require reloading. That in turn had me looking at how available brass is. When I decided to up my .277 game, it was easy to choose the WSM route because of readily available brass. Although not as proficient as my 300wby or 7STW, it has become my go to rifle for hunting where shots are expected to be 300-400yds. Can it do anything my 270win could do? No. Are there circumstances where a 270wby might provide extra range shooting the same bullets? Perhaps…. The thing is, if I was going on an elk hunt in open country, none of the 270s would even make the backup rifle list…. In other words, I’d be in 340/300/7STW country. Most of of us are rifle loonies who have long chased a few hundred extra FPS. One downside of Weatherby rifles I haven’t seen mentioned is the need for premium bullets in case a close range shot is encountered. As much as I love Hornady spire point bullets, they will not hold together when shot outside their design perimeters (I recall a mule deer shot with a 165 spire point and an impact velocity of 3400fps didn’t exit even though no bones were hit). As I get older, despite my loony tendencies, the less I care about such differences and the more I believe that it’s confidence in my equipment and proficiency that matters most. YMMD.

IC B2

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I bought a 270 Bee about a year ago simply because I wanted to. It’s shooting a 150 grain Berger bullet with a high bc at 3295 FPS. Sub moa out to 600 yards. No I don’t need it because I have many other rifles.
This is my first Weatherby. I like the Mark V action. Needs have nothing to do with rifles or we would all be shooting a 30-06. Edk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I was taking the OP's "real world" scenario into consideration:

24" barrel
Factory ammo

Years ago, I built a .257 Weatherby with a 26" tube because I rationalized the only reason to own one (over the 25.06) was really standing on the gas with a 100gr. mono.
I rationalize the same for the .270 Weatherby.

Go big/long or go home. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
270 wby , now you are talking my language. I’ve owned numerous rifles from 22 to 30 caliber. Nothing larger than a 300 wby. My favorite caliber is 270 wby. Favorite load involves RL 22 with a 140 grain Fail Safe at 3335 avg. over my Pact chronograph. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SKane
I guess I was taking the OP's "real world" scenario into consideration:

24" barrel
Factory ammo

Years ago, I built a .257 Weatherby with a 26" tube because I rationalized the only reason to own one (over the 25.06) was really standing on the gas with a 100gr. mono.
I rationalize the same for the .270 Weatherby.

Go big/long or go home. smile

I think the OP would be crazy to cut up a 270 and make it a 270 weatherby. Just buy one or trade the 270 win in .l

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find brass or ammo first. Then do it!!

If you are going to tote that magnum barrel around you might as well get the most out of it.

The haters are going to hate...forget about that.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I built one years ago because I had a 7RM with a shot out barrel, a Shilen blank for basically free, a reamer and lathe, and no money.

I sourced dies used for less than $30 and have never used properly headstamped brass, I run 7RM brass I get for free through the sizer.

I only use 7828 and 130s, monos mostly but I’ve used Partitions and Sciroccos some too. It’s a killing machine and I’ve racked up a good string of bulls and bucks with it. Being in a light easy to carry rifle helps make it a favorite.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The real world differences once seen in a 3-400fps advantage have largely evaporated due to range finders, dial or BDC style optics. Heck with the right scope & dope anyone can rig up a 30-30 to shoot 400 yards.

A generation ago, velocity was all we had.

I own and shoot 270 Win/WSM & Wby. I just don’t have anything to offer to add to what has already been shared. For me it boils down to my love for the 150gr Nosler Partition and it’s outstanding capabilities.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/25/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
The real world differences once seen in a 3-400fps advantage have largely evaporated due to range finders, dial or BDC style optics. Heck with the right scope & dope anyone can rig up a 30-30 to shoot 400 yards.

A generation ago, velocity was all we had.

I own and shoot 270 Win/WSM & Wby. I just don’t have anything to offer to add to what has already been shared. For me it boils down to my love for the 150gr Nosler Partition and it’s outstanding capabilities.

I could go along with that. Kid makes some valid points as well, brass isn't hard to come by so that is a moot point.

Honestly if I was going 270 Wby I'd want a 1-8 barrel so I could really fling some of the newer bullets myself, but with the Mashburn I don't need that either, but need has never really played into much I have dreamed up!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If one is ever involved in a 270 race, the person carrying the Weatherby will win every time. Advantage may be slight, but it's still an advantage.

1Minute
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Bullet drop is kind of mute as someone stated above. But 300 FPS in a wind does make a difference. Most people prefer to shoot in no wind but hunting is a real world situation. Edk

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ll argue that bullet drop isn’t a moot point in hunting situations. I’ve often caught an elk headed to a bedding area in the early morning or a nice buck cruising sniffing for does during the rut. Point being that animals aren’t always calmly feeding unawares and sometimes you need to take the shot when they pause for a moment or lose the opportunity as they move on through. With a flat shooting rifle and a decent guess for yardage you can make the shot before the chance is gone, the chance that you might burn trying to get a yardage with your RF instead of shooting.

Not always the case but a flat trajectory certainly isn’t a handicap.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Off topic but I would rather have a 7MM Weatherby magnum if I were building a long range elk rifle. Keep the 270 around for simpler chores.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The real difference lies in the one you own or like best. Same as everything else I suppose. Zero bad choices.

One comment though that I just couldn’t let slide was a post from ‘17 insinuating that the 270 Wby was the equal to a 300 Wby. I can’t support that comment. The 300 Wby is in a different league and the 340 seems to be in yet another. I’ve never seen anything taken with a 375 so I cannot comment further than my 340 being at the next level of long range capability. I own a 270 Wby, 300 Wby & 340 Wby mostly because when I was much younger I thought that a battery like this was essential. During those ignorant years I couldn’t be bothered by non magnums. Lol.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/26/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ll argue that bullet drop isn’t a moot point in hunting situations. I’ve often caught an elk headed to a bedding area in the early morning or a nice buck cruising sniffing for does during the rut. Point being that animals aren’t always calmly feeding unawares and sometimes you need to take the shot when they pause for a moment or lose the opportunity as they move on through. With a flat shooting rifle and a decent guess for yardage you can make the shot before the chance is gone, the chance that you might burn trying to get a yardage with your RF instead of shooting.

Not always the case but a flat trajectory certainly isn’t a handicap.

Exactly. And not everyone wants a heavy , bulky scope designed to constantly have the dials adjusted. Besides that, the further you get out, the less energy the projectile has, and the more likely the performance of the .270 Weatherby with a 150 grain projectile will be better than a 130 in a .270 Win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
During those ignorant years I couldn’t be bothered by non magnums. Lol.

laugh laugh

I've got the t-shirts too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.