-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of us actually enjoy trying new things. If I was a sustenance hunter, I'd find the cheapest way that works and stick with it. But the vast majority of my turkeys come from the grocery store. The ones I've hunted I didn't hunt out of necessity. I enjoy interacting with nature and owning guns and trying new things. Is there no merit to that? You're posting on a board that is really nothing but that.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
You still use a flintlock? Or better yet, just pick up a stone from the ground and throw it? You mention friends "slayins" turkeys, have you? Another one chimes in that feels the need to prop themselves up.

The shotgun like the turkey call and rifle are no better than the man behind it. I have killed a few and a 1 7/8 load of lead #5's (nitro mag's) from a x-full choke is my preferred load. At the end of the day don't fall prey by jumping on board to buy a unnessary product that some ass in a corporate board is hopeing you buy as much as possible so he gets richer while you get broke,

That's your opinion, and you're more than welcome to it. And yes, your set-up will, and does work, no doubt. As stated, some of us like to try new stuff and mess around with it. I made a living as an electrician. I worked on voltages up to 15,000 volts. I appreciate new and improved tools. Nothing rises your situational awareness like working in 3,000 amp 480 volt live switchgear. Can it still be done with the old tools? Absolutely. But there's a place for the new tools too...

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/26/22.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I first started spring turkey hunting I used a New Haven Model 600 (A Montgomery Wards branded Mossberg 500) with a 28 inch plain barrel and a poly choke. I used #4 or #6 high brass lead field loads. That's all I had at the time. I used my Lynch World Champion box call and wore Army BDUs. I used that wax face camo stick the Army used to use that was light grean on one end and dark green on the other and that you had to heat with a lighter to put on, and scrub like hell to get off. I even had a couple of successful hunts. It worked. Glad I'm graduated from that, though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It really boils down to this, Use what you like and be happy". I could care less if you use TSS, Hevi Shot, Heavy Shot, lead, bow and arrow, or rock and a sling shot. I found what works for me and make me happy. The good Lord has blessed me and allowed me to kill turkey and put them in the freezer to feed me and my family and friends.
Hunt with whatever gets you results that you are happy with. If you want to try something new, great try it, if not so be it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyonbe is looking, MidwayUSA has 20 gauge Federal TSS #9 available and Natchez has 20 gauge Federal TSS #7 available. I ordered 2 boxes of #7 from Natchez. I also picked up some 20 gauge Winchester XX 3" #5. Will be interesting to see how they pattern.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's -11° here this morning, just need a little bit better weather! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a little nipply. It's 36° here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At 10:04 the temp is 19 degrees here

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A couple of thousand turkeys are killed in Missouri with arrows every October. Some archery deer hunters buy turkey licenses in case one happens by while they are deer hunting. My wife's cousin arrowed a coyote that way once; the coyote was trailing a doe with a late season fawn and he did them a favor. Good times, if you like being in the woods in October (I do).

In Spring, though, turkey hunting is a shotgun sport.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Missouri the archery deer/turkey permit is all one unit that gives two deer and two turkey permits at a $19 cost for residents. Additional antlerless deer permits are unlimited and cost $7 each. The fall bowhunter can kill two turkeys of either sex. The shotgun fall turkey season runs the entire month of October and a fall shotgunner can kill two birds of either sex. Again, $19 permit for residents. In the spring season a bowhunter may use a bow to kill spring gobblers, no problem there. The spring gobbler turkey season runs about three weeks, two gobblers may be taken and a $19 permit for residents is required. All permits are over the counter, no draw. Missouri's seasons and methods are pretty simple and inexpensive overall.

With that said, our turkey flock population has tanked and birds are becoming scarce and much harder to come by. Wet nesting seasons, nest raiding predators, increased wild hogs, timber management... it hasn't been good hunting for years now. I'm old enough to remember the late 80's-through the early 2000's when it was no big deal to go to public ground and hear a dozen gobblers sound off within walking distance and with little hunting pressure to deal with. Our hunting hasn't been like that for at least a decade and seems to be steadily worsening.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in Virginia, turkeys can be harvested with just about anything, except in sping. In spring, shotguns must be loaded with shot no larger than #2. But a hunter can still use other weapons if county ordinances allow it. In Virginia, turkeys are "big game" and a few counties are "no rifles for big game" counties. Others are "no rifles for deer" counties. And still others are "no rifles larger than .22 caliber for hunting" counties. All the counties I hunt, rifles and archery are perfectly legal for spring turkey. So are airguns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It came early.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
man you are set to go, get you some big paper and let it eat

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
At $10 bucks or more a bite......eating might get pretty slim.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Indian Creek .555" is ready to go, just need a little better weather than what we've been having. For those 100 yard shots with the magic #9 fairy dust, I had a flat spot milled on the receiver to mount the Burris FastFire3, keeps it low and rock solid. I didn't like the Burris mount that goes between the receiver and stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/30/22. Reason: Pictures

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyone is interested, MidwayUSA has 3" 12G #7/#9 Federal TSS available. 1 box limit.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019776962?pid=564285#read-reviews

Midway also has 20G TSS available.

Mack's Prairie Wings has 20G Apex and Federal TSS available now.

https://www.mackspw.com/shooting/shotgun-ammunition/20-gauge

Natchex has Federal TSS 20G, too.

Macks has the best prices.

Spring is almost here.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/30/22.
L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Boy that's a heck of a deal....

Dean what happens when you battery dies on that toy site.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Always keep a fresh one along. And the front bead is co-witnessed with the sight! Lol! I do have an aversion to anything with a battery while hunting. Has to do with that Murphy's law thing...

NRA life member

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
I got curious so I asked this question on Apex facebook page.

This is from their facebook page.

My question to

Apex Ammunition on their Facebook site.

"I hear all the claims....lets hear the facts. What's the actual weight of a TSS size 9 or 10 pellet ?"

Apex Ammunition's reply to me...Quote

"9's weigh 1.2grs. 9.5's weigh 1gr.

9's are the perfect TSS pellet size. More energy than lead 4's and equal energy to hevi shot 5's".

My reply to Apex...

"A lead #4 pellet weighs 3.30 grains....a lead #7 shot weighs 1.50 grains....both substantially more weight than the smaller TSS pellet. Energy is figured by computing weight and velocity. There is no way a #9 TSS pellet weighing a third of a #4 lead can have more energy than a lead #4 shot moving at the same velocity.....fact is a lead #7 has more energy than a TSS #9 size shot moving at equal velocity".

I was quickly shown the door.....

This thread is about the fallacies of TSs....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In all seriousness, using a piece of electronics hunting does have its concerns. What if it goes out, stops working? At least with the Burris, the battery compartment is on top, don't have to remove it from the gun to change it out. Not all of them are like that. And I do practice shooting it without it turned on in case there is a failure. And just because, I am going to set up a 100 yard target and see what happens on paper

NRA life member

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.