Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.

I am MAGA.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by devnull
I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax 2500HD I bought new that now has 151K miles. Every time I look at the cost of a new truck, I think my old one looks better. I haven't been able (yet) to bring myself to pay the prices being asked for a new truck.

One day your lovely 2006 will bite it and the gap between a dead truck and a new one is worse than any increase you are passing up today.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2016 F-150 xl 8' box supercab 4wd 6spd 3.73 36 gal tank 73k bought new oct 16 32.5k white.blends in. Drive my 95 tacoma mostly 249 k and still sweet 4 cyl 2.7l 5spd 4wd...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.

Cuzzin' what year is the newest vehicle in your yard?

My wife has a 2011 Explorer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a 2004 Ranger XLT with 92k late last Fall. Have had to fix some stuff (currently the converters), but the thought of paying for a new one makes my blood run cold.

My son bought one of the diesel Chevys with everything and it’s a wonderful thing in every way, but oh my the price. The good news is he’ll be able to sell his Tacoma with 100k+ for what he paid for it five years ago, maybe more.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
No new truck for me, to close to retirement. had a new 2018 f150 with the 5.0 coyote 10 speed and it used oil like it was going out of style. ford ended up putting a TSB out on the 2018 and some of the 2019s with the 5.0 due to excessive oil consumption. got rid of it and dropped back to a 2017 with the 5.0 six speed, did like the 10 speed tranny over the 6. regret not getting the ecoboost now with the price of gas.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a guy that has a 2wd F150 with the smaller (2.7L) Ecoboost and he drives the highway a lot. Gets 24-25mpg pretty regularly. Fairly impressive for still having about 400TQ.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HitnRun
I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax 2500HD I bought new that now has 151K miles. Every time I look at the cost of a new truck, I think my old one looks better. I haven't been able (yet) to bring myself to pay the prices being asked for a new truck.

One day your lovely 2006 will bite it and the gap between a dead truck and a new one is worse than any increase you are passing up today.

Yeah but he can replace the entire drive train for a hell of a lot less than the price of a new truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never had a NEW vehicle.

Don't intend to either.

Me either, always bought from a individual.

Last edited by 257 roberts; 03/24/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RJL53

Yeah but he can replace the entire drive train for a hell of a lot less than the price of a new truck.

You can rebuild a truck a thousand times, but it is only new once.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RJL53

New trucks are nice and I'd like to have one, but damn they are expensive. And I'm not sold on the dependability aspect compared to a vehicle you have a history with, especially the new diesel trucks.
A new engine and transmission installed for a 2014 Ram 4x4 1500 was $15k. Lifters started tapping bad at 320k miles and figured transmission had to be wore out, but showed no signs. I bought my 2006 F350 with blown head gasket and a couple of bad injectors. My son and I put new heads on, injectors, bullet proofed the engine, new brakes, rotors, a climate control panel and probably a other things as needed. I have less than $16k including buying 6 new BF AT tires. Haven't had a issue in 80k miles.

Life is good live it while you can.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Add in $10k plus in labor costs.
Most folks don't have the know-how to do that.
Over $200 per hour at shops in my area.

Hunting bud did up a F250 Crew gasser. Frame up. One stout dependable truck for hunting land with some rough roads!
Dropped over $30k on a $10k purchase.

I just bought a new truck instead.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would buy the closest thing to what I’m driving now which is a ‘17 Tundra TRD PRO that just went over 100,000 miles. As it is, it’s about perfect for me. My truck is the family car, my wife’s BMW seldom gets more than 20 miles from home. I can pull my boat, haul dirty stuff around, it does very well off road for hunting and surf fishing and cruises easily and comfortably at 80 or more on the highway. Also, they have been trouble free. I like to buy my vehicles new, then I don’t have to worry about whatever kind of dipschitt treatment they’ve had or why someone felt compelled to get rid of a perfectly good truck at 20,000 miles or so.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

This is not an unknown variable here. Until then, money is saved and allotted for a new vehicle. The two options I see are drive it until the wheels fall off and save your pennies or trade every 4 years and 60K miles. Those usually provide best bang for the buck. Watching people at dealerships leave money on the table is pure comedy for me. The average person has no idea how to purchase a vehicle and try to play 3D chess when you have a trade, financing and a new vehicle involved in the transaction. ...Or, I'm a tight a$$. That's a reality as well.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have four deposits ($1k each) with a large highly reputable Toyota dealer in Richmond, VA for four new Toyotas. These deposits are for any first available base model "allocations" (Tundra Hybrid, RAV4 Hybrid, Corrolla Hybrid, Prius, Camry Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid).

Made my first $1k deposit back in November (for ANOTHER vehicle) when we actually picked up a 2022 Sienna Hybrid. Three other deposits in January.

The "allocation" process means that IF a dealer gets a car on the books as being built... you can claim it... and it will be delivered 6+/- weeks later.

I JUST (this morning) claimed a Camry Hybrid (that deposit has been sitting for 2+ months). That car will be here in 6 weeks (being built in Kentucky).

Japan built cars seems to be ZERO on the allocation list.

I can decline it upon arrival (there is a 10 page list of people waiting to buy) and get my deposit back instantly.

The "allocation" process with Toyota is a fiasco at present.

Toyota is running at about 3% of capacity.

However, Toyota is the best in the business at the moment on ALL FRONTS.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just bought a new to me truck, 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie with the 6.4 gas engine with a hair over 36k miles on it.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane

I just went down that "what do I get?" path. I have conflicting needs. I've been waffling for several years about which to prioritize. The plan was to trade in my Tacoma on something else. The choices were Jeep vs Superduty. Each choice seemed to give up too much of one thing to gain more of the other thing and I kept coming back to thinking that what I had was already the best compromise I could make. Still didn't make me happy. I waited so long that I saved up enough money that I didn't have to do trade-in, I could buy whatever I wanted and keep the Tacoma .. good plan since it only has 90K miles in 8 years which means it has a lot of life left in it. That simplified the choice: Jeep won out. The Tacoma is a crew cab so I'll still have the ability to haul 4 people and I don't take 4 people to the places the Taco won't go, those places are for me alone. smile I won't be able to haul a camper on the Jeep but I do ok camping on the ground in a tent.

So what's on order now is a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 6 speed manual, 3.6L V6, with some options.

The alternative was .. well, I wanted an F250 but the combination of options I wanted was not available on the 250 but was on the 350, so what I spec'd out was an F350, 7.3L gas engine, extra (not crew) cab, short bed, camper package, FX4 package with 3.73 gearing, and a few other things I've forgotten at the moment. Plan was to put a short lift on it, move to 35" tires to get the axles up a little, and get an All Terrain Campers pop-up slide in camper.

Someday when the Tacoma is tired / unreliable, or when my trailering needs exceed the Tacoma's 6500 pound capacity frequently, then I'll revisit the Superduty. I think it, paired with a jeep, will expand my capabilities leaving me unconstrained with some compromises I've had to make so far.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a 2 year old 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 LTZ 5.3 about 4 years ago nowwith about 20K miles and I love this truck. Put a cap on it right away to protect stuff I carry in the bed when I'm going hunting, camping, fishing, or other things.... It rides so much better than the 3/4 ton trucks I used to own that all my buddies (and my wife) always want to take my truck when we go anywhere any more. A couple buddies have older trucks or their buddies drive newer Dodges and Fords and they tell me their back won't hold up to riding in any trucks for long drives hunting and fishing except mine...

So, if I was going to buy a new truck today- which I won't - it would be the same truck set up the same way except for the new 10 speed tranny. My son has a 2020 GMC Sierra with the 10 speed and all the options and it is a great truck. I don't tow enough to justify a 3/4 ton truck anymore and my gas mileage is pretty good for a truck- about 12-15 most days in town and highway driving and around 22-24 on the highway.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.