Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
If you're not going to hunt african dangerous game with the rifle that you're considering buying, or
considering to have built, for some really big game elsewhere on Earth, why not take a hard look at
the .35 Wheelen Ackley Improved. On ammoguide.com it shows that the Whelen A.I. case capacity
is 0.1 grains MORE than the 9.3x62. PLUS, with both using a 250 grain bullet, the 9.3 has muzzle
energy of 3,471 and muzzle velocity 2500, and the Whelen A.I. has muzzle energy 4124 with
muzzle velocity 2725. The .35 W.A.I., at the microscopic 8/1000ths of an inch smaller diameter, is
indeed the better performer. And I'm confident brass acquisition will be easier with the W.A.I., and
it's an American round, so there's the patriotic "thing", at least for me anyway.
What do you all think about this comparison???

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 04/08/22. Reason: Typo

Jack
GB1

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a big fan of both.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Same bullet in each, I doubt any animal on earth would know the difference…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that the Whelen is likely running at much higher pressures to see a 225 fps velocity increase over the 9.3. Especially given that capacities are within 0.1 grain of each other. You're not comparing apples to apples.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In my dotage, it sure is nice not to have to fire-form brass. In addition, 9.3 x62 reloading dies are relatively cheap and available as is properly head-stamped brass.

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
If you're not going to hunt african dangerous game with the rifle that you're considering buying, or
considering to have built, for some really big game elsewhere on Earth, why not take a hard look at
the .35 Wheelen Ackley Improved. On ammoguide.com it shows that the Whelen A.I. case capacity
is 0.1 grains MORE than the 9.3x62. PLUS, with both using a 250 grain bullet, the 9.3 has muzzle
energy of 3,471 and muzzle velocity 2500, and the Whelen A.I. has muzzle energy 4124 with
muzzle velocity 2725. The .35 W.A.I., at the microscopic 8/1000ths of an inch smaller diameter, is
indeed the better performer. And I'm confident brass acquisition will be easier with the W.A.I., and
it's an American round, so there's the patriotic "thing", at least for me anyway.

Originally Posted by GuideGun
I think that the Whelen is likely running at much higher pressures to see a 225 fps velocity increase over the 9.3. Especially given that capacities are within 0.1 grain of each other. You're not comparing apples to apples.

I am a big fan of the 35 Whelen, but I think this comparison is WAY OFF too. With a small disadvantage in case capacity, and a small advantage in bore diameter, any difference in velocity should be negligible in EQUAL BARRELS at EQUAL PRESSURE.

I like the Whelen for the ability to use reduced velocity loads with pistol bullets for plinking, and because it is American.. Others like the 9.3x62 for it's acceptance for African game.

Can't go wrong either way.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
AI'ing the Whelen kills its "traditional American" cool factor.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack

Originally Posted by GuideGun

I am a big fan of the 35 Whelen, but I think this comparison is WAY OFF too. With a small disadvantage in case capacity, and a small advantage in bore diameter, any difference in velocity should be negligible in EQUAL BARRELS at EQUAL PRESSURE.

I like the Whelen for the ability to use reduced velocity loads with pistol bullets for plinking, and because it is American.. Others like the 9.3x62 for it's acceptance for African game.

Can't go wrong either way.

I’m in agreement with WA here. I’ve got both, both with 22” barrels and they are so much the same cartridge and ability I’m not sure who’d be able to ever tell the difference.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are going to make the comparison at drastically unequal pressures , what’s the point ?

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, too lazy to look it up, but I think JB said the Whelen was one of the worst rounds to AI due to the lack of shoulder in the first place.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a one gun hunt the world chamber you can’t beat a 338 Win Mag. Components and ammo everywhere, hurls 180 and 200 grainers flat and faster than a 300 Win Mag, hurls 250, 275 and 300 grainers on the heels of a 375 H&H. I guess it’s just to ordinary to be cool. More versatile than a 9.2 or Whelen step child, especially by virtue of todays .33 bullet designs.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Aside from the ballistic comparison, you also asked what we thought.

Two things come to my mind. (1) The 9.3X62 is so common in the US now days, that I think it is probably easier to get that brass than 35 Whelen brass. I may be wrong about that, but they’re pretty close anyway, so I would not use that to decide upon either one in my selection of cartridge. And (2), I hunt Africa pretty often, and the 9.3x62 is legal for DG in many, if not most, African countries. The 35 caliber has VERY few countries that would allow it for DG, compared to the 9.3, therefore I’d choose the 9.3x62 over the 35WAI. Plus, if ammo is lost in transit, 9.3x62 will be MUCH easier to find in Africa than 35 Whelen, let alone the 35WAI.

Having said all of that, I want to state how much I love my 35 Whelen. I own about (13) of them. I also own many 9.3x62s. I have used both calibers in Africa, but only my 35 Whelen in America for both Elk and Moose. GREAT cartridge! In Africa, with my standard 35 Whelen, I have taken Leopard, Hartebeest, Sable, Sitatunga, Bushbuck, Lechwe, Oribi, and Warthog.

If I wanted to use a 35 caliber other than my standard Whelen and needed a little extra power, I’d simply use either my 358 NM, or my 358 STA, both of which will reach farther and hit harder than a 35 WAI.

However, I also say, buy/build whatever pleases you. This is the fun part of rifle/cartridge ownership!! And no one can tell you what is right for you. If you like the idea of a 35 WAI, GO FOR IT!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I chose the 375 Whelen AI over either of those.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with the 9.3 just in case I ever to make to Africa

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

I think mines pretty cool, deer don’t though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 04/10/22.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9.3x62 all the way for me. No contest.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

and who was PO Ackley , a foreigner ?

Improving/wildcatting cartridges is American as apple pie ya commie

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

JMO……35 Whelen Imp. Lot’s of available brass, and a pretty good selection of .35 caliber bullets. And for some to consider…..38/.357 cal handgun bullets, less expensive than rifle bullets and expand at lower velocities, can be used in light loads for plinking or small big game use! Making the . 35 caliber rifles very versatile. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I think mines pretty cool, deer don’t though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice!

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have used various .35 Whelen rifles for perhaps 30 years as my "bigger than deer" hunting rifles. Shot a couple dozen elk, some moose, caribou, etc. with them and have zero complaints or want or need of any extra power. I have mostly used 250 grain bullets at 2500 FPS muzzle velocity. The Ackley "Improved" version seems to me is solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
In the last 10 years I also have used a 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R. Only shot a few elk and bears with them, but they worked exactly as I would have experienced and expected of my .35 Whelen. No discernible difference. I also took the 9.3 to Namibia where it was greeted by my PH with a smile and knowing nod. Performance on Kudu, Gemsbok, and even a huge Giraffe was perfectly satisfactory. When the hunt was over I left the surplus ammo with my guide which was greatly appreciated. In Africa, also Europe, Asia Argentina, and to some extent Australia and New Zealand the 9.3s are standard cartridges. The Whelen is pretty much limited as a niche part of the USA market, with a little spill over into Canada.
For an international hunting cartridge, I would certainly choose the 9.3x62 over any .35 caliber, and especially over the wildcat "Improved' version.

Last edited by castnblast; 04/11/22.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.