Campfire Ranger
Have you ever run a 2 stroke?

They sucked donkey balls.
"The best engine design ever, for turning fuel into noise!"

They do sound good.
With someone else driving,
from a distance,
And driving away.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's why I said "sounded" and not "performed".

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the sound of a deleted 6.7 Powerstroke, da cows like it even more.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Detroits worked just fine.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Perkins make a nice sound.

One of our flood pumps has an old Perkins with a straight pipe.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Perkins do sound nice, had backhoes with them

Last edited by hanco; 04/23/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Detroits worked just fine.

Spent too much time with a 318 to agree.
It ran. Got the job done, eventually. Pretty much sucked.
Would have been ok on flatland, we don't have that.
Dropping gears going uphill empty, sucks.
Admire their service, they kept America moving in all kind of stuff
for decades. Still do in old equipment.

60 Series?
If building a "fantasy" truck, it would have a 12.7L.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Perkins? If they made a tougher diesel, I have never heard of it. When I was working night mechanic at Weyerhaeuser in Orygun, one of the Hyster forklift gals came in at near the end of swing shift, complaining, Paul this thing smokes and stinks so bad, it smells like it's on fire. I raised the seat and looked at the Perkins, the heat resistant paint on the block was curling and smoking (600deg??). Take another forklift Sherry, this thing is fried. It was so hot I couldn't check it out, so I left a note on it and parked it outside. The note blew away, the day mechanic came in the next morning, gave it a quick look over, saw the lower radiator hose had burst, replaced it, checked the levels and sent it back to work. All the paint was gone off the head and down about 3 inches on the block. Not even a cracked head. First chance, I replaced the fried valve cover gasket, and that thing ran reliably for another couple years. I am a died in the wool Perkins fan now.

Last edited by flintlocke; 04/23/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
If you buy a diesel for the cool factor..... well that's not very smart.
Now if you buy a diesel for a specific reason, that makes sense.
For example my Ram diesel hauls my truck camper while towing my boat, or side x side or flat towing the Jeep. In the mountains. The exhaust brake alone is worth the price of admission.
Now the Jeep diesel was also chosen for a specific reason. The diesel option came with a lower final drive ratio and heavy duty axles. I put a lift kit on it with 35" tires, for flotation and ground clearance.
With the gas motor I would have had to re-gear front and rear, $2500. My fuel mileage would have dropped to low teens. And my axles would be marginal strength for the larger tires.
The diesel spins the big tires like nothing, fuel mileage is mid 20's mpg.
Off road the low rpm torque will move me over obstacles with ease. I am talking Moab & Rubicon style trails.

Just admit you’re gay brother Fubar and move on. smile

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Perkins do sound nice, had backhoes with them

Always appreciated that sewing machine tick-tock but never owned one. We’re JD folks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One can purchase Cummins crate engines for swaps. They have an dedicated side business just for supplying these engines.

Ok, everyone talks about engines and what is tough and what is rugged. I'll tell you from deep underground hardrock mining experiance the old Deutz air cooled diesels are about as tough as it gets. They used them for decades in the mining industry and for powering tractors and ag equipment in Europe. They are super tough and operate in temps that would melt down and cook my Cummins. Go to youtube and check out some of the Deutz engine swaps from Latin America.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by irfubar
If you buy a diesel for the cool factor..... well that's not very smart.
Now if you buy a diesel for a specific reason, that makes sense.
For example my Ram diesel hauls my truck camper while towing my boat, or side x side or flat towing the Jeep. In the mountains. The exhaust brake alone is worth the price of admission.
Now the Jeep diesel was also chosen for a specific reason. The diesel option came with a lower final drive ratio and heavy duty axles. I put a lift kit on it with 35" tires, for flotation and ground clearance.
With the gas motor I would have had to re-gear front and rear, $2500. My fuel mileage would have dropped to low teens. And my axles would be marginal strength for the larger tires.
The diesel spins the big tires like nothing, fuel mileage is mid 20's mpg.
Off road the low rpm torque will move me over obstacles with ease. I am talking Moab & Rubicon style trails.

Just admit you’re gay brother Fubar and move on. smile

Damn..... first was a Subaru.... then a Jeep.... and Kingston keeps sending me naked guy pic's.... I must be gay.... damn the luck frown doesn't a guy usually know these things first? I am so confused, how does this work? what bathroom do I use? will the government send me money? do they have rehab for this schit? do I start drinking white claw? wtf

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

They do sound good.
from a distance,
And driving away.

I run a GM 871 TI with twin 892 turbos in my boat. It's loud but I'm deaf.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Backroads
Anyone that is into Landcruisers has thought about it.
25mpg would give a cruiser a 600 mile range per fill up.

My FJ40 gets 9MPG no matter what it's doing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Perkins? If they made a tougher diesel, I have never heard of it. When I was working night mechanic at Weyerhaeuser in Orygun, one of the Hyster forklift gals came in at near the end of swing shift, complaining, Paul this thing smokes and stinks so bad, it smells like it's on fire. I raised the seat and looked at the Perkins, the heat resistant paint on the block was curling and smoking (600deg??). Take another forklift Sherry, this thing is fried. It was so hot I couldn't check it out, so I left a note on it and parked it outside. The note blew away, the day mechanic came in the next morning, gave it a quick look over, saw the lower radiator hose had burst, replaced it, checked the levels and sent it back to work. All the paint was gone off the head and down about 3 inches on the block. Not even a cracked head. First chance, I replaced the fried valve cover gasket, and that thing ran reliably for another couple years. I am a died in the wool Perkins fan now.

My little Case wheel loader has a Perkins in it. This is the second one of these machines I've had. My only complaint is that it weeps coolant in the winter.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

They do sound good.
from a distance,
And driving away.

They certainly were a chore to drive. Sure seems the 13 speed road ranger was specifically designed for the 318s lack of torque.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guess I am living the dream [Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I drive a diesel F350 when delivering equipment for my bro and I like diesel for one reason and one reason only….when the Tesla or Toyota Pious is on my ass I can step on the throttle and smoke’em out. 😂. In fact tomorrow I’ll have a new Ford diesel truck for running tractors and equipment around which will be fun to compare against the older one.

For regular towing of more than 50% of the rated tow capacity a diesel is hard to beat. It might take decades to realize a cost benefit since the price of diesel is higher than gas and the vehicle value (ie cost) is higher than the comparable gas model but I prefer the diesel for heavy towing. The last truck I used for hauling was a manual 10 cylinder gas F450. That wasn’t a bad rig but I still much prefer the diesels. I’m a Chevy guy while my brother is a Ford guy. I tried to convince him to look for a Chevy for me but he got another Ford….blondes, brunettes or redheads…..Ford, Chevy, Dodge. I’m running a blond at work and a brunette at home…😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Guess I am living the dream [Linked Image]

Cool ridgeline

MAGA
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,746
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.