Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cuznguido
It boils down real simple: Ignorant rednecks too fat and lazy to ride a bike hate those that do.

The typical rager is a middle aged, out of shape, poorly educated, white male.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by cuznguido
It boils down real simple: Ignorant rednecks too fat and lazy to ride a bike hate those that do.

The typical rager is a middle aged, out of shape, poorly educated, white male.

Now do typical cyclist.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by 45_100
Not defending the people throwing trash but mixing automobiles and bicycles is a bad idea. Tucson considers itself bicycle friendly and has bicycle lanes. There are accidents at least once a week and the automobile always wins. Don't know the answer.

Serious question, what makes it a bad idea in your mind?
Tucson is indeed a bike friendly town with lots of bikes on the roads as well as non motorized bike trails, but if you watch the local news it's rare for a week to go by without at least one bicyclist fatality.

I'd be very surprised if Tuscon averaged one a month.
Looks like you're right, but...
https://www.kold.com/story/37063929/cyclists-react-as-tucson-rated-2nd-deadliest-city-in-us/

Those numbers are from 2017 and I didn't see where they counted the total number of incidents, only fatalities. I contend it is a bad idea because the bicyclist is at a considerable disadvantage and this is mentioned in the article. The mom who takes her kid with her on her bike admits she tries to choose routes with less traffic and slower moving traffic. This is responsible behavior on her part. Tucson is considered the most dangerous city for bicyclists per the article.
I don't know all the ways roads are funded, but fuel tax is the major source of funding. Electric vehicles and bicyclists don't buy fuel so they don't contribute in that manner. I don't have the answer but I think bicyclists need to realize they are at a distinct disadvantage and therefore need to take responsibility for their own safety. Expecting everyone else to watch out for them and obey the law is short sighted and can have serious consequences.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Paul,
To answer your question , the cyclists should ride single file to use as little road as possible for the cyclists safety, as well as keeping a motorist from having to deal with an accident , caused by cyclists with an attitude.

As far as batting 1000, you will have a dumbazz response.

I would bat you over with my broom. Got it???????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Paul,

I live on a country road that is on a hill that has a state park look out at the top. It is on the edge of wine country outside the Portland metro area. We get LOTS of bicyclists. LOTS. LOOOOOOOTS.

So I understand the logic that cyclists try use to justify the whole abreast issue. Frankly, it's just sophistry.

Most of them that I encounter are courteous and are single file. I try to be courteous as well.

However there is a significant minority of them that are arrogant pricks. You know that as well. I've been flipped off more than once because I come upon them a 55+ while they are climbing the hill at 5mph scattered all over the lane, chumming it up with their fellow bikers, and passed them in the on-coming lane. I'd love to confront them, but usually I'm carrying and I don't want to get into a situation. Or they are zooming down the road at 40+ in blind curves and almost hit me pulling out of my drive. And be sure that I'm REAL cautious pulling out of the drive.

Cyclists NEED to understand physics. The also they need to call out their own when they are doing stupid and arrogant stuff. Not just blame the automobile driver.

And the laws need to be changed to reflect physics.

Cyclists should also have to pay a road-mile tax to support the roads. Their logic that, "We already pay taxes" is stupid and is reflected in the abreast in the lane logic as well. Sorry, got me riled.

BTW why is it that a slow moving farm vehicle is required to display on of the triangle devices while road driving, but not bikes?

Another reason that cyclists ride two abreast is to make themselves more visible. Given that nearly every motorist that mows down a cyclist from behind says "I didn't see them," riding side by side gives the idiot motorist a more to see. That and the fact that on narrow roads vehicles passing cyclists on narrow roads will spend less time in the oncoming lane if cyclists are riding abreast is NOT sophistry. It's a simple reality.

Why would you come up on them at 55MPH? How do you know they flipped you off?

Paul, because the speed limit and normal traffic speed is 55. I also have a rear view mirror.

See my previous statements, "So I understand the logic that cyclists try use to justify the whole abreast issue. Frankly, it's just sophistry." and "They also they need to call out their own when they are doing stupid and arrogant stuff."

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Say what you want about bikers on roads. I don't do it and I've had a few choice words for those that have slowed up traffic but it's what you call a first world problem if you're delayed a minute here and there.

I don't understand anyone throwing stuff at them, seems like a very low level of impulse control.

This strikes at the heart of it. People's indignation over the presence of cyclists is far out of proportion to any inconvenience they might suffer.

I could drive from here to a place I often go about 10 miles away. There is a 90% chance I'll miss at least one light cycle on account of a motorist who was dicking with their phone or otherwise didn't go when the light turned green. There's a 90% chance that a motorist will drift out of lane while in my field of view and about a 10% chance one will drift into my lane when I am beside them. There's about a 97.24% chance that a slow moving motorist in the left lane of the interstate will force cars to pass to their right. There's about a 5% chance I'll encounter a bicyclist and a very slim chance I'll have to do anything more than move over to go around them.

But spandex!

Exactly. Spandex really pisses me off. On a man, LOL!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m more irritated by Marching Band fágs than cyclists.

Neither of which is a big deal out char in the country.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, a marching band flag might be tho only thing gayer than spandex on a man.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This space reserved for the hilarious “roll coal” footage.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

Marching bands sound like America!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen those bike paths and am envious. I would never ride on the main road with that kind of infrastructure available.

And yet you are unwilling to tax cyclists to pay for it.

Carpe' Scrotum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Two cents ain’t wort a piece of bubblegum anymore , but here it is .
Seems silly to think that the law says the bike has the same ROW as vehicles .
You’ll sue the sob that hits you ?
Let me know how much you’re enjoying that money crippled up .
Got nothing against people bycycling , done it myself , but on country dirt roads were I weren’t likely to get between a rock and hard spot .
Espeacially areas like much of NOVA , a lot of fugged up , distracted , and [bleep] attitudes toward other people on the road .
Ain’t worth the risks to me , but like I said , two cents ain’t worth much .
Kenneth

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Read the comments before seeing the video. Given the purse clutching I anticipated something…… more.

Call out the national guard. Peddle biker had a napkin and empty water bottle tossed at them. I hope they were able to get counseling and meds to help them through the PTSD they surely suffered.

MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
PaulBarnard: After enduring 29 years of law enforcement duties which included countless "vehicles vs. bicycles" accidents (and tending to the resulting horrific injuries!) investigations I long ago came to the conclusion that bicycles have NO place what so ever on public highways and freeways!
PERIOD!
This is not "rage" it is common sense and based on concern for the safety of my fellow humans!
Having said that some bicycling on streets and county dirt roads should be tolerated where safety is good (wide shoulders, low speed limits etc) and I fully endorse the building of bicycle paved trails and exercise areas.
Speaking of exercising "I" invite to you come stay at my home and participate in one of the most beautiful bicycle charity events on earth!
I have enclosed a link to this annual event that starts and finishes in my hometown (Dillon, Montana) and is called "The R.A.T.P.O.D. Race" (Ride Around The Pioneers in One Day).
It is a 131 mile endurance race that starts here at an elevation of 5,100' and climbs up and over two mountain passes (elevations of 6,760' and 7,400'!) and travels around the Pioneer Range of the Rocky Mountains!
This race is so popular amongst "bicycle types" that they no longer advertise for it, as they always have more applicants than the public safety officers here in our county allow to be in the "race".
Be sure and scroll down and look at the beautiful vistas you will be bicycling by as you SUFFER along.
Let me know if you will be attending and I will be your "host" and I will be there at the finish line taking your picture as you barf and gasp for air.

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/Ratpod-Ride-Around-The-Pioneers-in-One-Day-139754979414273/

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 45_100
Not defending the people throwing trash but mixing automobiles and bicycles is a bad idea. Tucson considers itself bicycle friendly and has bicycle lanes. There are accidents at least once a week and the automobile always wins. Don't know the answer.

Serious question, what makes it a bad idea in your mind?
Tucson is indeed a bike friendly town with lots of bikes on the roads as well as non motorized bike trails, but if you watch the local news it's rare for a week to go by without at least one bicyclist fatality.

I'd be very surprised if Tuscon averaged one a month.
From today's news, I shouldn't have specified fatalities.
https://www.kold.com/2022/05/20/pol...hit-and-run-crash-houghton-tanque-verde/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Read the comments before seeing the video. Given the purse clutching I anticipated something…… more.

Call out the national guard. Peddle biker had a napkin and empty water bottle tossed at them. I hope they were able to get counseling and meds to help them through the PTSD they surely suffered.

A video like this is a fail without ketchup.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
PaulBarnard: After enduring 29 years of law enforcement duties which included countless "vehicles vs. bicycles" accident (and tending to the resulting horrific injuries!) investigations I long ago came to the conclusion that bicycles have NO place what so ever on public highways and freeways!
PERIOD!
This is not "rage" it is common sense and based on concern for the safety of my fellow humans!
Having said that some bicycling on streets and county dirt roads should be tolerated where safety is good (wide shoulders, low speed limits etc) and I fully endorse the building of bicycle paved trails and exercise areas.
Speaking of exercising "I" invite to you come stay at my home and participate in one of the most beautiful bicycle charity events on earth!
I have enclosed a link to this annual event that starts and finishes in my hometown (Dillon, Montana) and is called "The R.A.T.P.O.D. Race" (Ride Around The Pioneers in One Day).
It is a 131 mile endurance race that starts here at an elevation of 5,100' and climbs up and over two mountain passes (elevations of 6,760' and 7,400'!) and travels around the Pioneer Range of the Rocky Mountains!
This race is so popular amongst "bicycle types" that they no longer advertise for it, as they always have more applicants than the public safety officers here in our county allow to be in the "race".
Be sure and scroll down and look at the beautiful vistas you will be bicycling by as you SUFFER along.
Let me know if you will be attending and I will be your "host" and I will be there at the finish line taking your picture as you barf and gasp for air.

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/Ratpod-Ride-Around-The-Pioneers-in-One-Day-139754979414273/

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's invitations like these that make the Campfire what it is.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I honestly don't care if they're allowed to use the road. I hate them. I hate everything about them, that they impede traffic, the gay looking spandex, helmets and shoes, that they usually don't follow any traffic laws/signals and they're just a flat out nuisance. Even God hates bicyclists.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by slumlord

Next time the USMC band is in town be sure and let em know how you feel.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kingston: I have hosted MANY CampFirers here at our home in the last 20+ years.
I have enjoyed hosting them all and hope to do more.
I hosted a Varmint Hunter just last week from Paul Barnards neck'o the woods (New Orleans!) and even though he is not a CampFirer he just LOVES his time spent here every year or so as it is so "different and beautiful" here in SW Montana (as compared to the flattish humid place he lives and works in).
You are welcome anytime as well.
Long live the CampFire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 5 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.