Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by steve4102
Do these cyclists that occupy tax payer funded road ways, pay vehicle taxes and use taxes, or are they getting a free ride, no pun intended.

They pay tax when they buy their bikes. The tax on gasoline falls way short of being able to fully fund state and federal roadways. General fund moneys that ALL taxpayers kick into are used to build and fund federal and state roadways. Property taxes and ad valorem taxes are the primary source of funding for county and local roads. Moreover, most cyclists do have motor vehicles and pay gas tax when they put fuel in those motor vehicles.

Interestingly Steve, I have never paid a penny for your local streets, so if I were to drive on them, your local bicyclists would have more of a "right" to them than I would.

Paul,
What you state above about the distribution of taxes collected is not true in Arizona and to my knowledge in most States.

In AZ, not a single penny of property taxes pay for roads.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-road-funding-2019/

Thanks for making my point, Paul.

As mentioned in the website you attached, gas and diesel fuel taxes pay for road construction and maintenance. .

According to the link, in AZ those taxes and fees add up to a grand total of 47.3 percent of the funding. Where does the rest of the funding come from?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More reading for the "bicyclists don't pay for roads" crowd.

https://uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/reports/Who%20Pays%20for%20Roads%20vUS.pdf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That video was disgusting.

They should have thrown something biodegradable like apples or old bananas or dog [bleep].

I can't stans people who litter.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by steve4102
Do these cyclists that occupy tax payer funded road ways, pay vehicle taxes and use taxes, or are they getting a free ride, no pun intended.

They pay tax when they buy their bikes. The tax on gasoline falls way short of being able to fully fund state and federal roadways. General fund moneys that ALL taxpayers kick into are used to build and fund federal and state roadways. Property taxes and ad valorem taxes are the primary source of funding for county and local roads. Moreover, most cyclists do have motor vehicles and pay gas tax when they put fuel in those motor vehicles.

Interestingly Steve, I have never paid a penny for your local streets, so if I were to drive on them, your local bicyclists would have more of a "right" to them than I would.

Paul,
What you state above about the distribution of taxes collected is not true in Arizona and to my knowledge in most States.

In AZ, not a single penny of property taxes pay for roads.

https://taxfoundation.org/states-road-funding-2019/

Thanks for making my point, Paul.

As mentioned in the website you attached, gas and diesel fuel taxes pay for road construction and maintenance. .

According to the link, in AZ those taxes and fees add up to a grand total of 47.3 percent of the funding. Where does the rest of the funding come from?

The Federal government.

Per gallon, HURF collects 36 cents per gallon of fuel. Eighteen cents goes to the Federal government, specifically FHWA. They then send it back to the States for funding highway and freeway construction essentially based on a priority of needs ranking system. The other 18 cents per gallon goes to the State the tax was collected in. They distribute it from there. Most of it again for highway construction or improvements. Sadly, a relatively small portion goes to maintenance as it is cooler to build new then maintain what you already got. Much like in our personal lives - it’s a lot more fun and sexy to buy a new car than maintain the car you got.

So when they build or maintain those bike paths attached to the road, HURF pays for it.

Last edited by flagstaff; 05/22/22.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This video showed a wide sidewalk or bike path. Why weren't they riding on that instead of the highway?

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

In reading that website, it says people who generally pay taxes pay for bike paths. It doesn’t say general taxes or sales pay for the path along a road.

I’m telling you, HURF pays for that path.

And bicycles don’t buy gasoline or diesel fuel last time I checked. At least, I haven’t seen a fuel tank on 10 speed or mountain bikes.

Those are called motorcycles. And they go a lot faster than a bicyclist.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This was probably fun up until they learned that the cyclists had video cameras.

That’s a good camera. Pretty good resolution on those screen grabs!
lol

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
This video showed a wide sidewalk or bike path. Why weren't they riding on that instead of the highway?

They weren't riding on a highway. They were riding a low traffic density 35 MPH road approaching an overpass. The sideWALK ended just a few hundred feet from where they were.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
This was probably fun up until they learned that the cyclists had video cameras.

That’s a good camera. Pretty good resolution on those screen grabs!
lol

More and more cyclists are using them. I think it's probably best that everyone carries on as if their every action was being recorded.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

In reading that website, it says people who generally pay taxes pay for bike paths. It doesn’t say general taxes or sales pay for the path along a road.

And bicycles don’t buy gasoline or diesel fuel last time I checked. At least, I haven’t seen a fuel tank on 10 speed or mountain bikes.

So, here I am stuck between deciding whether to believe the volumes that I have read that clearly lay out how bicyclists pay for roads and highways or believing a guy on the internet who says "nuh-uh." Damn man, this is tough. lololol

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Legally, in most places, they can’t ride a bike on a sidewalk. Legally.

And they often don’t like to ride in that path next to the road because traffic blows gravel and debris onto that path and they find it annoying and uncomfortable with their road bike tires at 100 PSI.

So they often ride at he white edge line as the speed of the traffic kinda keeps it cleaner tha the path itself.

So they call the local road maintenance department and yell at them to sweep their path. You know, the path they don’t pay for.

And that is priority #1,021 on their list of things to do for that road maintenance department.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.tcsfuel.com/blog/the-highway-trust-fund/#:~:text=However%2C%20funding%20those%20repairs%20and,roads%20and%20state%20highway%20infrastructures.

"However, funding those repairs and improvements comes from more than just collecting gas taxes paid by those driving a vehicle. These days, general taxes paid by all taxpayers such as income and sales taxes are just as instrumental as gas taxes to fund local roads and state highway infrastructures."

or "nuh uh"

Which should I choose?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

So here I am stuck between deciding whether the volumes that I have read that clearly lay out how bicyclists pay for roads and highways or believing a guy on the internet who says "nuh-uh." Damn man, this is tough. lololol

You do what you wanna do Paul. I am just trying to educate you. I have have a 35 year career in transportation planning, construction, and maintenance by the way. If you wanna believe what you dig all over the internet to support your point, you go right ahead.

I am telling you from first hand experience.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
https://www.tcsfuel.com/blog/the-highway-trust-fund/#:~:text=However%2C%20funding%20those%20repairs%20and,roads%20and%20state%20highway%20infrastructures.

"However, funding those repairs and improvements comes from more than just collecting gas taxes paid by those driving a vehicle. These days, general taxes paid by all taxpayers such as income and sales taxes are just as instrumental as gas taxes to fund local roads and state highway infrastructures."

or "nuh uh"

Which should I choose?

General taxes paid such as income and sales taxes don’t really fund bike paths. If you think they do to any real consequence, I have some beach front property out here in AZ I would like to sell you. I will put it on the internet because then it would be believable to you.

But you believe what you wanna believe because I am not gonna convince you otherwise.

You can lead a horse to water, but if he ain’t gonna drink, he ain’t gonna drink.

Last edited by flagstaff; 05/22/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RUM7
That video was disgusting.

They should have thrown something biodegradable like apples or old bananas or dog [bleep].

I can't stans people who litter.

Yeah!!!

A rotten 5 lb Charentais Amish Cantaloupe at 45 mph would take a poof clean off the seat

💀💀💀

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Get off the road , period !

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I just don't see the crisis. If they claim some kind of assault (which dollars to donuts they probably will) that's weak pûssy bs.

YMMV

Who does see the crisis? I haven't seen anyone positing this as a crisis.

Paul, you made this out through your posts as if it were some egregious assault. You weren't alone, but you posted the thread lol.

Holy fûck. Nothingburger. Defined.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I just don't see the crisis. If they claim some kind of assault (which dollars to donuts they probably will) that's weak pûssy bs.

YMMV

Paul, you made this out through your posts as if it were some egregious assault. You weren't alone, but you posted the thread lol.

There should be a specific hate crime law against it for sure.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

YMMV

There should be a specific hate crime law against it for sure.

They're covered under the preferential treatment of gays laws already. But I can see another one made just for them too. Good point.

MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The bicyclists don't bother me as much as the Amish buggies. Little 12 year old Nebuchadnezzar going down a narrow country road in a buggy, whipping the shít out of some poor pony, pops around the curve on you and you have to take the ditch to keep from flattening his silly ass.

Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.