Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KSMITH
All that really has no meaning if the bicyclist is dead does it? Knowing he is 50/50 supposed to make him feel better while he is taking a dirt nap? I don't know where you live but around here, bicycles don't do so well when an automobile of your choice hits them. SMH

It is what it is. Whoever is at fault is going to pay. If the guy is dead, he's dead, and his personal representative gets the make the claim on his behalf.

And I live in SE Virginia and work for an insurer with a claims office in Chesapeake. I've been handling insurance claims in Virginia for my full 31 years, and am licensed in every state in the US that requires an adjuster license. I've been handling claims in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, and West Virginia, Alabama and Germany for the last 25 years, as well as other locations as needed.

My experience is that both bicyclists and driver are the causes of bike/car accidents on about an equal basis. Either group si more righteous tha the other.

The worst claims I'ver handled have been bike versus bike. Bicyclists colliding with each other on northern Virginia bike routes. I've seen some really bad injuries coming from bike v. bike collisions. Neither rider wants to admit they rode negligently. Both claim the other was a complete dumbass. And when it comes to property damage, they tend to try and outdo each other. "I was on a Lightspeed that I paid $10,000 for three years ago." "Oh yeah, I was riding a Lightspeed I paid $13,000 for two years ago." These claims [bleep] suck.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/24/22.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
and parallel parkers that open doors into the path of approaching bicyclists.

One of my favorite pastimes 😁

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
All that really has no meaning if the bicyclist is dead does it? Knowing he is 50/50 supposed to make him feel better while he is taking a dirt nap? I don't know where you live but around here, bicycles don't do so well when an automobile of your choice hits them. SMH

It is what it is. Whoever is at fault is going to pay. If the guy is dead, he's dead, and his personal representative gets the make the claim on his behalf.

And I live in SE Virginia and work for an insurer with a claims office in Chesapeake. I've been handling insurance claims in Virginia for my full 31 years, and am licensed in every state in the US that requires an adjuster license. I've been handling claims in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, and West Virginia, Alabama and Germany for the last 25 years, as well as other locations as needed.

My experience is that both bicyclists and driver are the causes of bike/car accidents on about an equal basis. Either group si more righteous tha the other.

The worst claims I'ver handled have been bike versus bike. Bicyclists colliding with each other on northern Virginia bike routes. I've seen some really bad injuries coming from bike v. bike collisions. Neither rider wants to admit they rode negligently. Both claim the other was a complete dumbass. And when it comes to property damage, they tend to try and outdo each other. "I was on a Lightspeed that I paid $10,000 for three years ago." "Oh yeah, I was riding a Lightspeed I paid $13,000 for two years ago." These claims [bleep] suck.
Small world. I am Chesapeake as well. You could make a good living off Pungo and surrounding roads on the weekends. Do you remember when somebody spread tacks all over the road to take out the bike tires and not the car tires? There is seriously a lot of hate with the residents down there against the bikes lol

Last edited by KSMITH; 05/24/22.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Having handled insurance liability claims for the last 31 years, and having handled hundreds, if not over a 1,000 claims involving cars and bicycles, I would say around 50% of the time the car is at fault, 50% the bicyclist. I would say the biggest issue with bicyclists I've seen is, in no particular order,

1) swerving left into the path of an overtaking car,
2) riding on the wrong side of the road,
3) riding at night with no lights,
4) lane splitting, riding up the right side of a line of cars at a stop light and running into a car that is turning right,
5) and one I have personally seen a lot since there are a lot of bike routes where I live, a group of bicyclists spilling out past a stop sign as if they were one big catepillar into the path of a car that has right of way without understanding that every bicyclist in that group has an individual duty to stop at the stop sign.

Drivers tend to pass too closely and clip bicyclists, and tend to pass and turn right into the path of the bike, and parallel parkers that open doors into the path of approaching bicyclists.

As far as lawsuits - the vast, vast majority of legit claims get settled before a lawsuit is ever filed. Most lawsuits are settled in mediation or during the discovery process without ever making it into a court room. Verdicts as a proportion of total claims is miniscule. Most cases go to trial over liability disputes, not damages, though some go over damage disputes. Defendants are usually represented by a good attorney paid for my their insurer. Liability disputes tend to fall out in favor of the defendant. Insurers only tend to take the strongest cases to court. Hardly any verdicts are published publicly so finding them to post here would be very hard.

Damn, this is a really interesting post. I really appreciate you taking time to share this.

I tend to think the 50/50 split on at fault is pretty accurate. I have done a lot of reading on it and most suggests pretty close to a 50/50 split. Can you ball park a percentage of the cyclist at fault cases where the bicyclist was an indigent or for some reason couldn't hold a license? The reason that I ask is that those that I most often see riding against traffic and riding without lights look like they fall into that category.

The individual duty to stop begs a little discussion. I don't ride in large groups and can picture what you are talking about and agree that the long line moving through without stopping is a bad idea. If my group, say 8 riders, comes to a stop sign. We bunch together and occupy the footprint of a typical motor vehicle. If a car is coming, we stop and yield right of way. When we can safely go, we move through as a unit. I see that as pretty harmless, and if it's a busy 4 way stop intersection, it serves to allow cross traffic to get through much more quickly.

I don't do and don't like the filtering thing.

The cyclist swerving into an overtaking car. How often in those cases is it clear that the cyclist did the swerving? Do you work in one state or multiple? If those states have minimum passing distances (3 feet in most states) it would be one hell of a swerve for a cyclist to drift 3 feet over and into a car. I would guess that these cases are often he said/she said? If I were a betting man, I'd bet that in most of these cases the auto driver wasn't giving the minimum.

Something to consider for those that have an open mind or are reasonable. The three most common auto driver at fault collisions that you mention all have something in common. Cyclists who want to mitigate those risks would move further out into the lane. And we all know how that plays with motorists. Just something to think about.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[quote=10Glocks]
All that really has no meaning if the bicyclist is dead does it? Knowing he is 50/50 supposed to make him feel better while he is taking a dirt nap? I don't know where you live but around here, bicycles don't do so well when an automobile of your choice hits them. I would rather be alive than put myself in losing fight and getting killed. People on bikes love to play games with traffic and exert their rights all over the place until a couple of them get wiped out, the they ar all "Oh ma gawd, we was just riding 23 abreast. The driver should have ran into oncoming traffic or hit a tree instead of mowing us down like cornstalks". Kind of like people who have to pick up snakes and then are shocked when they get bit. SMH

And to be honest, I don't like Paul, I don't like looking at his stupid avatar picture with his penis protector on, I don't care for his insulting replies when you don't agree with him, I don't like his whiney posts, I hate clicking onto the site to see him constantly whining about bike riders, riding etc...yeah, can't think of one redeeming quality of the guy. Like there must be a forum out there for him to talk biking but he chooses to do it here and be a whiney c u n t about it.

I just wanted to parse this out of your post.

"I don't like his whiney posts"

lolololol

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Small world. I am Chesapeake as well. You could make a good living off Pungo and surrounding roads on the weekends. Do you remember when somebody spread tacks all over the road to take out the bike tires and not the car tires? There is seriously a lot of hate with the residents down there against the bikes lol

Yep, I remember the tack incident well. laugh
https://www.pilotonline.com/news/article_068b3f8c-fc88-50c2-94bd-45713e509d33.html

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muffin

Hi Muffin. Who would have thought that you would join our circus? lol

We loved our vacation down there. You live in a very cool place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was that Paul?

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It is a neat place, getting a bit crowded for my liking. The DEMs seem to be pushing their folks into our state.

They will leave when we run out of fresh water though................

I live in one of the oldest demographics in the state, it's dangerous when I am in my truck.....

If you cycle here you are far braver than I......

cheers.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

It is a neat place, getting a bit crowded for my liking. The DEMs seem to be pushing their folks into our state.

They will leave when we run out of fresh water though................

I live in one of the oldest demographics in the state, it's dangerous when I am in my truck.....

If you cycle here you are far braver than I......

cheers.

I didn't love what I saw there from a bicyclists perspective. I took my bicycles down there the first time I went. Left them at home this year!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Took time to watch that. The cyclist was completely wrong. If he had dismounted the bike and walked across then he would have been afforded the legal status of a pedestrian. That was not an extension of the bike lane. It was a crosswalk.

But, wait for it...

The truck driver never came to a complete stop.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Can you ball park a percentage of the cyclist at fault cases where the bicyclist was an indigent or for some reason couldn't hold a license? The reason that I ask is that those that I most often see riding against traffic and riding without lights look like they fall into that category.

I don't know a percentage, but can say most bike accident claims arfe with casual riders, not the more serious cyclists. The ones riding against traffic are usually the ones that are coming home from a convenience store run and has a bag hanging from the handle bars, or a kid, or something like that.

The individual duty to stop begs a little discussion. I don't ride in large groups and can picture what you are talking about and agree that the long line moving through without stopping is a bad idea. If my group, say 8 riders, comes to a stop sign. We bunch together and occupy the footprint of a typical motor vehicle. If a car is coming, we stop and yield right of way. When we can safely go, we move through as a unit. I see that as pretty harmless, and if it's a busy 4 way stop intersection, it serves to allow cross traffic to get through much more quickly.

None of the states I adjust claims in view a group of riders as a single entity. They all have their indiviidal duties. Each has a duty to stop. Most drivers do let a group come out, but often times there are stragglers a few yards behind trying to catch up to the group who will ride right through a stop sign without stopping.

The other issues is passing a line of bicyclists and then have the lead guy way up ahead throw out a left turn signal and all the bikes following swerve left like a snake. They all have a duty to ride appropiately and signal their individual intentions.

The cyclist swerving into an overtaking car. How often in those cases is it clear that the cyclist did the swerving?

This is probably the most common accident I've seen involving serious bicyclists. Riding to the right and needing to a make a left turn, and swerving left without regard to a overtaking car in the "blindspot" position. Happens all the time, particularly in northern Virginia. It's usually an easy one to defend for the driver. Often times there are witnesses, and with the proliferation of dash cams and security cams and Ring doorbells, we end up finding a lot captured on video.

Do you work in one state or multiple?

I regularly work in Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware and NC. I do have a resident Florida adjuster's license and that is reciprocal with all other states that require licenses, so I have licenses to adjust claims in all states that require a license, including Louisiana. I handle claims in other states as needed.

If those states have minimum passing distances (3 feet in most states) it would be one hell of a swerve for a cyclist to drift 3 feet over and into a car. I would guess that these cases are often he said/she said? If I were a betting man, I'd bet that in most of these cases the auto driver wasn't giving the minimum.

Cars do sideswipe bikes regularly. But many of these accidents seem to arise from the bicyclist needing to switch from the right side of a straight lane to a left turn lane to make a left turn

Almost 100% of these accidents arises from inattention on either the rider or the driver. A little more attention on both sides would solve the vast majority of these collisions.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can you ball park a percentage of the cyclist at fault cases where the bicyclist was an indigent or for some reason couldn't hold a license? The reason that I ask is that those that I most often see riding against traffic and riding without lights look like they fall into that category.

I don't know a percentage, but can say most bike accident claims arfe with casual riders, not the more serious cyclists. The ones riding against traffic are usually the ones that are coming home from a convenience store run and has a bag hanging from the handle bars, or a kid, or something like that.

None of the states I adjust claims in view a group of riders as a single entity. They all have their indiviidal duties. Each has a duty to stop. Most drivers do let a group come out, but often times there are stragglers a few yards behind trying to catch up to the group who will ride right through a stop sign without stopping.

The other issues is passing a line of bicyclists and then have the lead guy way up ahead throw out a left turn signal and all the bikes following swerve left like a snake. They all have a duty to ride appropiately and signal their individual intentions.

The cyclist swerving into an overtaking car. How often in those cases is it clear that the cyclist did the swerving?

This is probably the most common accident I've seen involving serious bicyclists. Riding to the right and needing to a make a left turn, and swerving left without regard to a overtaking car in the "blindspot" position. Happens all the time, particularly in northern Virginia. It's usually an easy one to defend for the driver. Often times there are witnesses, and with the proliferation of dash cams and security cams and Ring doorbells, we end up finding a lot captured on video.

Do you work in one state or multiple?

I regularly work in Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware and NC. I do have a resident Florida adjuster's license and that is reciprocal with all other states that require licenses, so I have licenses to adjust claims in all states that require a license, including Louisiana. I handle claims in other states as needed.

If those states have minimum passing distances (3 feet in most states) it would be one hell of a swerve for a cyclist to drift 3 feet over and into a car. I would guess that these cases are often he said/she said? If I were a betting man, I'd bet that in most of these cases the auto driver wasn't giving the minimum.

Cars do sideswipe bikes regularly. But many of these accidents seem to arise from the bicyclist needing to switch from the right side of a straight lane to a left turn lane to make a left turn

Almost 100% of these accidents arises from inattention on either the rider or the driver. A little more attention on both sides would solve the vast majority of these collisions.

Truly appreciate the info.

"Cars do sideswipe bikes regularly. But many of these accidents seem to arise from the bicyclist needing to switch from the right side of a straight lane to a left turn lane to make a left turn"

This would be another instance in which a cyclist's mitigating strategy wouldn't sit well with some motorists. The rider should set himself up mid lane in the right lane, move into the left most lane well ahead of time, signaling as he does, and enter the turn lane at the beginning.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think trying to set themselves up in the center of the lane may be what some of therm are trying to do when they get hit.

I also notice a fair number of claims involving riders wearing ear buds. That's illegal while driving a car. And if not illegal, at least unwise and imprudent when riding a bike.

I do believe serious cyclists have a better record of fault/no-fault for collisions with cars than causal riders. Maybe 70% not at fault versus 30% at fault. Causal riders are riskier riders and do a lot of dumb things. Wearing dark clothing and riding at night with no lights or reflectors is a big one and produces a fair number of fatal collisions.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Says the dude riding around in spandex with a penis hat on. Then spend 20 pages arguing how cool you and your bike are. I don't think your "outdoor Sports" is the same as this sites "outdoor sports".

Guess you couldn't find those successful lawsuits either.

And aren't you the poop stain that posted a picture of yourself with a dress on to "mess" with your daughters date? Yeah, you fit right in here.

Pauli would take part more in what this forum is about if he could get a gun manufacturer to produce an an accurate rifle that he could buy. They keep selling him inaccurate ones, but at least it gives him another topic for his whining bitching diatribes where he looks for sympathy but seldom gets it because of his arrogance and his low IQ.

The folks in TN don't have a clue about what's coming with the one window lean-to that he's planning to build in their HOA.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Steve]Not excusing the trash, but why are the bicyclists riding abreast taking up a whole lane?

Steve let's play with that question a bit. It's a common one that often people don't think all the way through. A bicyclist riding alone or in a single file would want a cushion of about 2 feet from the right hand edge of the road. There are several reasons for this. A bicyclist would occupy a footprint of about 3 feet from elbow to elbow if you add in a very little lateral movement. We are at about 5 feet of lane use at this point. Now lets add in a safe passing distance of 3 feet since that's what most states specify as minimum. The right hand edge of the car would be 8 feet from the curb at this point. An average car width mirror to mirror would be about 7 feet. That's 15 feet total we are at now. With that total, the car would have to at least partially enter the left lane to pass the cyclists.

Whether the cyclists are side by side or in single file the motorist will need to enter the left lane to pass. Tests have shown that it will take cars longer to pass a line of cyclists than if the cyclists were spread out in a single line. In this case being side by side meant saving the driver time spent in the passing lane.

Now, let me ask you this question. Given the complete lack of other motor vehicle traffic and the fact that they would have to move at least partially into left lane anyway, why does it matter that the cyclists were side by side?[/quote

No!! They need to get off the road when a car is coming. Just common sense!!! Oh!! That’s right they don’t have any..😁😁😁🥴😁
]

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Total and complete butt holes for doing this..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Muffin]

Took time to watch that. The cyclist was completely wrong. If he had dismounted the bike and walked across then he would have been afforded the legal status of a pedestrian. That was not an extension of the bike lane. It was a crosswalk.

But, wait for it...

The truck driver never came to a complete stop.[/Quonset

FY

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.