Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Back in the old days, charity came from the community and church.

Not the .gov.

So it was in your best interest to “do good works”.

Also, I’m of the thought good works and being humble go hand in hand.

Doing good and seeking recognition kinda cancel each out.....

Well said

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Mauser - What is your soul ?

Can you articulately define what that is ?

I know our Aussie friends do not believe and that is their choice....but my belief of the soul is....the part of a person that is not physical. It is the part of every human being that lasts eternally after the body experiences death. Genesis 35:18 describes the death of Rachel, Jacob’s wife, saying she named her son “as her soul was departing.” From this we know that the soul is different from the body and that it continues to live after physical death.

That's not evidence, that's just what somebody wrote.

Sorry, I forgot.... Atheist need evidence....and Christians and others do not.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know our Aussie friends do not believe and that is their choice....but my belief of the soul is....the part of a person that is not physical. It is the part of every human being that lasts eternally after the body experiences death. Genesis 35:18 describes the death of Rachel, Jacob’s wife, saying she named her son “as her soul was departing.” From this we know that the soul is different from the body and that it continues to live after physical death.

So then Atheists don't accept the Big Bang?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman

There is plenty of evidence to support the Big Bang.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Curious.....name one...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
"I don't get it" because I see with clarity since I was never indoctrinated, and appreciate skepticism and critical thinking. Do you get that?
Here is what I get.

You may have missed a good opportunity - but missing indoctrination does not automatically indicate that a person sees clearly, appreciates skepticism and thinks critically. I know some unindoctrinated folks who can't or don't do the above.

Then again, I know some who were indoctrinated and who also see very clearly, appreciate skepticism and are excellent critical thinkers.

Experience says that indoctrination may not matter much, or at all. On the other hand, self-honesty can be a big asset.

Most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives, but not so with their religious beliefs. Those that do so honestly however typically become atheists - - -
I can't argue your statement that "most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives" because I haven't seen any good scientific data on that point - either positive or negative. Based on long personal experience, I think your statement is way off the mark.

As for your claim that people do not engage skepticism and critical thinking with regard to their religious beliefs, I know your claim to be in error - and some content of the threads you latch onto here provide proof. I have not given time or effort to in-depth study of atheists and what got them to where they are - maybe I will look into that. But, I have known a bunch - some close professional acquaintances - and have been in deep discussions with quite a few. Frankly, many of them seem frustrated and trapped in some hopeless circular quest. YMMV.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Curious.....name one...

You'll need to be prepared to educate yourself and there are plenty of resources out there to help you.

There will be the topic of observational evidence that includes the expansion of the universe, cosmic background radiation and nucleosynthesis.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"I don't get it" because I see with clarity since I was never indoctrinated, and appreciate skepticism and critical thinking. Do you get that?
Here is what I get.

You may have missed a good opportunity - but missing indoctrination does not automatically indicate that a person sees clearly, appreciates skepticism and thinks critically. I know some unindoctrinated folks who can't or don't do the above.

Then again, I know some who were indoctrinated and who also see very clearly, appreciate skepticism and are excellent critical thinkers.

Experience says that indoctrination may not matter much, or at all. On the other hand, self-honesty can be a big asset.

Most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives, but not so with their religious beliefs. Those that do so honestly however typically become atheists - - -
I can't argue your statement that "most people will use skepticism and critical thinking for most parts of their daily lives" because I haven't seen any good scientific data on that point - either positive or negative. Based on long personal experience, I think your statement is way off the mark.

As for your claim that people do not engage skepticism and critical thinking with regard to their religious beliefs, I know your claim to be in error - and some content of the threads you latch onto here provide proof. I have not given time or effort to in-depth study of atheists and what got them to here they are - maybe I will look into that. But, I have known a bunch - some close professional acquaintances - and have been in deep discussions with quite a few. Frankly, many of them seem frustrated and trapped in some hopeless circular quest. YMMV.

Think of it this way - that the atheist is a skeptical "clean slate". Show me irrefutable proof that what you believe is true. If it's true it will be demonstrably so and true for all, otherwise it is a faith belief that you and others hold.

Well?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As usual I read this thread and my attitude could go 1 of 2 ways. I could get annoyed at the blatant stupidity, willful ignorance, obvious obfuscation and intentional misdirection by Curly and Mo from the AACC or I could try to ignore their hilarious attempts at self-adulation and instead focus on the worthy contributions of the many intelligent men here. I’m often struck by how well you guys are able to convey such a complicated and deep subject in very understandable language and you guys do so with patience and grace. I always takeaway more from these threads than I expect. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Righteous works do count. Righteous works don"t count.....

Well, it seems that you don’t get it or perhaps you are deliberately choosing “not to understand.”

Doing right things…. Doing “good works” ….. being a “good guy who helps others” counts for zip when it comes to gaining salvation with God. What you think of yourself…. Good, bad, in between….does not matter when it comes to receiving God’s gift of salvation. Before receiving Christ, one is not part of the Body of Christ and as far as salvation is concerned, you have no spiritual relationship with God…… if one dies, he will be subject to judgment for his deeds and not allowed into heaven. This one’s …. Sin…. Is a barrier to having fellowship with God.

BUT….. after one receives the Spirit…. Becomes born again….. THEN…. Let me repeat….THEN…. Good works matter a great deal…..good works…. Especially good work performed at the direction of the Holy Spirit….are most pleasing to God and matter a great deal…..to Him. This born again person has had his sins forgiven and covered “by the blood” sacrifice provided by Jesus at the cross. God has “breathed life” to this one and the Spirit of God resides within him. He has been made a part of the Body of Christ.

When the Father looks upon this person, in effect, He sees him as a member of the Body…. The Father does not count sin against him as Jesus….the perfect sacrifice for sin…. Has paid the sin price…. Covered over the man’s sin by His blood.

NOTE…….Christians on earth are still living in a corrupt and sinful body and there is still a “sin battle” going on within. Read Romans 7 for more info……So, here you have a forgiven man…. Having the indwelling of the Spirit…. But still in a worldly body of flesh. Does this man sin? Yes….. when the Father looks at him, He sees the spiritual man “in Jesus” and this man is indeed holy and blameless in the Father’s eyes. Yes, when a Christian sins, there are indeed consequences for that sin….. (I know I have suffered various consequences for my sin, but can go to God for forgiveness and go on, looking forward to the day of my death and “release”)

NOTE….. when this born again man dies, he leaves the sinful body behind and receives a new “Christ like” body and joins Jesus in heaven.

So, DBT…….I suspect that this will seem like nonsense to you as you give no evidence of being born of God.

My advice and my prayer is that you turn to God ….. and in humility…. ask for enlightening. If you do, He will indeed answer. In fact, I would say that He is eager to not only hear from you, but eager to respond.

Basic logic.

If we are told that something does not count, it cannot be logically said that it does count. It can be one or the other, but not both.

If we are told that works do not count (salvation is purely though grace), saying that 'works do count' (a person is justified by works and not by faith alone) the latter clearly contradicts the former: 'works do not count.'

One or the other may be true, but both cannot be true. That's how logic works.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Well, it seems that you don’t get it or perhaps you are deliberately choosing “not to understand.”

Doing right things…. Doing “good works” ….. being a “good guy who helps others” counts for zip when it comes to gaining salvation with God. What you think of yourself…. Good, bad, in between….does not matter when it comes to receiving God’s gift of salvation. Before receiving Christ, one is not part of the Body of Christ and as far as salvation is concerned, you have no spiritual relationship with God…… if one dies, he will be subject to judgment for his deeds and not allowed into heaven. This one’s …. Sin…. Is a barrier to having fellowship with God.

BUT….. after one receives the Spirit…. Becomes born again….. THEN…. Let me repeat….THEN…. Good works matter a great deal…..good works…. Especially good work performed at the direction of the Holy Spirit….are most pleasing to God and matter a great deal…..to Him. This born again person has had his sins forgiven and covered “by the blood” sacrifice provided by Jesus at the cross. God has “breathed life” to this one and the Spirit of God resides within him. He has been made a part of the Body of Christ.

When the Father looks upon this person, in effect, He sees him as a member of the Body…. The Father does not count sin against him as Jesus….the perfect sacrifice for sin…. Has paid the sin price…. Covered over the man’s sin by His blood.

NOTE…….Christians on earth are still living in a corrupt and sinful body and there is still a “sin battle” going on within. Read Romans 7 for more info……So, here you have a forgiven man…. Having the indwelling of the Spirit…. But still in a worldly body of flesh. Does this man sin? Yes….. when the Father looks at him, He sees the spiritual man “in Jesus” and this man is indeed holy and blameless in the Father’s eyes. Yes, when a Christian sins, there are indeed consequences for that sin….. (I know I have suffered various consequences for my sin, but can go to God for forgiveness and go on, looking forward to the day of my death and “release”)

NOTE….. when this born again man dies, he leaves the sinful body behind and receives a new “Christ like” body and joins Jesus in heaven.

So, DBT…….I suspect that this will seem like nonsense to you as you give no evidence of being born of God.

My advice and my prayer is that you turn to God ….. and in humility…. ask for enlightening. If you do, He will indeed answer. In fact, I would say that He is eager to not only hear from you, but eager to respond.

Basic logic. If we are told that something does not count, it cannot be logically said that it does count. It can be one or the other, but not both.
If we are told that works do not count (salvation is purely though grace), saying that 'works do count' (a person is justified by works and not by faith alone) the latter clearly contradicts the former: 'works do not count.'
No - that is not the work of an actual logic system. It may be how your logic works, and we easily can see why. You make stuff up ("what counts" for example) and pretend that your criterion is accepted by others here so that you can attempt to control the logic. But, your ploy will not work because those here discussing grace and works are well-versed, they are engaging honest discourse, and they see your little game. They have clearly and strongly discussed and explained the differences - but you insist on throwing apples and oranges into the same bag because your ploy depends on ignoring the actuality and running your little closed system. OK - it works for you, but it seems silly and not worth addressing any further.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good works are great, they are not the Way to Salvation.
This is true.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grace is offered; it is not earned.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Basic logic. If we are told that something does not count, it cannot be logically said that it does count. It can be one or the other, but not both.
No - that is not the work of an actual log system. It may be how your logic works, and we easily can see why. You make stuff up ("what counts" for example) and pretend that your criterion is accepted by others here so that you can attempt to control the logic. But, your ploy will not work because those here discussing grace and works are well-versed, they are engaging honest discourse, and they see your little game. They have clearly and strongly discussed and explained the differences - but you insist on throwing apples and oranges into the same bag because your ploy depends on ignoring the actuality and running your little closed system. OK - it works for you, but it seems silly and not worth addressing any further.

I understand. Logic is not your thing. It can't be helped. Enjoy your faith and may it bring you happiness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, I don't have one. Waiting for someone to demonstrate what a soul is and that they exist.
LOL!

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think I've read that the human soul has been weighted.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

No - that is not the work of an actual log system. It may be how your logic works, and we easily can see why. You make stuff up ("what counts" for example) and pretend that your criterion is accepted by others here so that you can attempt to control the logic. But, your ploy will not work because those here discussing grace and works are well-versed, they are engaging honest discourse, and they see your little game. They have clearly and strongly discussed and explained the differences - but you insist on throwing apples and oranges into the same bag because your ploy depends on ignoring the actuality and running your little closed system. OK - it works for you, but it seems silly and not worth addressing any further.

I understand. Logic is not your thing. It can't be helped. Enjoy your faith and may it bring you happiness.
You can be such a silly pretender - you know nothing about my logical work and capabilities. Thanks for the nice wish - I will accept it in good faith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still waiting for evidence for Big Bang that a Creationist could not use for creation.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Curious.....name one...

You'll need to be prepared to educate yourself and there are plenty of resources out there to help you.

There will be the topic of observational evidence that includes the expansion of the universe, cosmic background radiation and nucleosynthesis.
No answer...thought so...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I think I've read that the human soul has been weighted.

A movie was made about that but it's not true. It has been tested and proven incorrect.

Well?
Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 34 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,379
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.