Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The is The Holy Trinitey, God in three Persons, as Les Feldick points out, Jesus could not have raised himself from the dead.
Good morning Richard. I hope you are doing well.
I just read your post and it reminded me of a similar thing my former pastor often said with much conviction. It got me to thinking and so I opened my Bible. Supernaturally, the Holy Spirit brought me directly to this verse.

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
Romans 8:11

So we have confirmation that God the Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead.

Next, I turned to I Corinthians 6:14
"And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power."

Lastly, it reminded me of a passage that made me repent, (change my mind), about what my pastor was very adamant about. Years ago in my reading John 10:17, 18 struck me.

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."

After many years, I finally learned by the Holy Spirit in study that not only was the Father involved in Jesus resurrection, but also the Spirit. I was blessed to discover this doctrine that not only did the Father and the Spirit raise Jesus, but He Himself took back His life again. So, it was revealed to me that the entire Trinity was involved in raising Jesus Christ on the third day.

If you take an open Bible and study on this, I would be interested in your opinion.

I hope you too are blessed by this.

Frank

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
Renowned New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman clearly and unequivocally says that the very reason that he lost his faith and embraced agnosticism and atheism was because of pain and suffering in the world. Period.

But Christianity has never taught of an earthy world without pain and suffering. Pain and suffering don’t disprove the existence of God. It only disproves the existence of a god who doesn’t allow pain and suffering.

And that’s not the god of Christianity. Christianity’s God promised that there would be pain and suffering in this world. The very movement of Christianity itself in fact involves the pain and suffering of the most innocent man who had ever lived.

Exactly; God gives meaning to pain and suffering by coming in the flesh and participating in it Himself.

That to me has always been one of the chief problems with the “what kind of god would do/allow this” argument.

That and the fact that any value judgment as to what is good or just or whatever assumes some objective standard outside ourselves against which one can make the original accusation. The assertion is self contradictory.

If there is no God and Carl Sagan was right that the material universe is all that is or was or will ever be, then there is no good or bad, fair or just or anything there just is what is.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
People need a little trouble to keep them on their toes, like an airplane needs turbulence to fly.

That's from The Power of Positive Thinking.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Superstitious people go for the stick and carrot. I don't worry about it, I have no reason to worry about it.

I am not superstitious.....just a believer and have no reason to worry either...I'm making my choice, and you are making your choice.

My position is the skeptical clean slate. I'm not chosing to not believe, i simply have no reason to believe. If something were demonstrably true, I would have no reason not to believe.

Why choose to beleve something that you don't know to be true?

Maybe because the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?

After all, natural selection sifts for genetic variations and traits that provide survival advantage. But producing humans with the cognitive hardware and software capable of discovering subatomic particles would have been overkill. Our actual intellectual abilities would have been wasteful luxuries — at least on the African savanna where our ancestors, we are told, were running from cheetahs or whatever.

So, neo-Darwinian evolution would have gone far above and beyond the call of duty. It’s not impossible, I suppose, but it seems highly unlikely, given our current theories of physics and evolution. And it is those very theories that supposedly show that God doesn’t exist. There’s an extreme tension here. In any case, given all that we know today — given what science has told us — how can you be so confident about your atheism?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
mauserand9mm, it seems normal here for you to make huge and sweeping claims about "fact", which immediately make your claims suspect. Yet, you claim such heavy dependence on evidence and proof, and pretend that all others should do that as you do.

This is your big opportunity to be convincing. So, please provide the hard evidence and proof that caused you to believe the truth of these, your utterances, as selected from your posts and noted below Hard evidence and proof now – not observations or opinions. You said this stuff – underlines to provide focus for hard facts.

Everybody says that their god is the real god

All other religions claim the same “proof” (with regard to the spirit of truth living in one’s faith)

Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence

200 denominations of Christians reading from the same book (Bible)

The bible is factually and historically wrong - - - alledged (sic) events - - - - there is zero evidence to support the fantastic events written down in it.

there are thousands of gods to choose from - - - - - Many are jealous gods and will be upset if you choose a false god

Waiting here - just pop out those facts and proofs and all will be well.

Sure.

I don’t have a compendium of dismissing the religious bullshit but I’ll try and point you to some good sources of information.

Huh? Why would you have issue with this? Don’t you think people who believe in a god believe that their god is the real god? You must be on crack.

All other religions claim the same “proof” (with regard to the spirit of truth living in one’s faith)

That onus is on your guys. Proof would be demonstrable and attributable to it’s proven source (eg god provided you with a soul and you need to feel him in your heart yada yada yada). Still waiting for the evidence.

Looks like I may have got this wrong – there are 200 Christian denominations in the US, and about 45,000 globally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

https://www.livescience.com/christianity-denominations.html

The bible is factually and historically wrong - - - alledged (sic) events - - - - there is zero evidence to support the fantastic events written down in it.

There’s a fuck-ton of useful information here for starters:

https://ehrmanblog.org/tag/biblical-discrepancies/

Bart used to be one of you guys before he saw the light, but that's only because he put in the hard yards and did proper research. There are many others who have also done so.

The fantastic events still go unsupported and unsubstantiated - you got any proof that you are withholding from us?

there are thousands of gods to choose from - - - - - Many are jealous gods and will be upset if you choose a false god

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity

https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Gods

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Maybe only your god is the jealous one.

You fail mauserand9mm - posted a bunch of someone else's claims and specious data, and proved nothing. Come up with your proofs, please.

Hey, I don't know it all. There are experts in their fields, under peer review, and researchers also subject to skeptic review. That's why I direct you to the their work. So does that mean you know it all on your side of the arguement, or is that just what you believe?
This is not an argument and, no, it does not mean that I know it all - impossible - and I hope never to behave as if I think I do. So, I make it a practice not to jump onto atheist threads (especially daily) and try to critique or undermine anything on which atheists base their beliefs/positions.

OTOH, you do so on a thread about Christianity and fling out these sweeping declarations, claiming also to be heavy duty evidence and proof based. However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof. Very strange. Seems like time to leave the maze.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some really good commentary and perspectives from many participants on this thread. Thank y’all.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
What a load of Crock. I don't write the definitions given in dictionaries.
As it happens, there is a condition where people hold convictions without the support of evidence....which is why we say they have faith that their conviction is true.
Now, as we are talking about religion, which is a belief in any of a number of versions of God or gods, without the support of evidence, what do our dictionaries tell us?
faith
2: belief that is not based on proof: (He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.)
3: belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.
Definition of faith
b- 1: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
As anyone can see, these are not my definitions. It is not something I insist on, or how I ''understand it.''
This is just the definition of faith in relation to any belief that is held without the support of evidence.
As we have no evidence for the existence of any of the many versions of God or gods, to believe in these things is a matter of faith: as defined above.
You don't have a leg to stand on.
DBT, you may be familiar with those, but I don't deal in loads of Croc - that must happen only in OZ where Dundee chases 'em down.

And, I am not standing on anything - merely illuminating the disingenuous tactics you employ to sneak out from under heavy questions. I dare say that anyone on this thread leading a faith-based Christian life long ago became aware of the various and sometimes superfluous definitions of "faith:" as you cite them here. Most likely they also fathom and celebrate the unique and blessed nature of such a condition. And, by now, they probably also realize that you do not have even a notion of why and how one would so live. All is well - wander along.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49
Further, the Holy Spirit.....".... lives with you (us) and will be IN you. So, when a Christian says "I have proof." He really does... the Spirit of Truth is living in that born again Christian.

All other religions claim the same “proof” – you sure you haven’t been fooled by Satan? It sounds like the sort thing that he would convince you of.

Accept or reject....Choose wisely.....

False dichotomy right there – not accepting is not the same as rejecting. Serious consideration would require evidence. Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence and sounds more like a gambling issue.

MM,

It is not my experience that other religions claim the same thing. I have been around plenty of Moslems and a few Hindus in my travels and had a number of”religious” conversations with more than just a few of them….. not once has a Muslim or Hindu said anything….not one word about the indwelling of the Almighty in them.

Unless you can justify your statement, your statement that “all religions claim the same proof” is false.

Just more cliches from you…..

They all claim to be the truth and claim the true god. The details are otherwise nuances that don't mean anything given the flawed assertions in the first place.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
And not to forget to mention that many people find god, but it's not always the same god. Must be more than one.

Nope…. Only One God ….. but many counterfeits.

That's the slogan that they all use. It gets old.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Superstitious people go for the stick and carrot. I don't worry about it, I have no reason to worry about it.

I am not superstitious.....just a believer and have no reason to worry either...I'm making my choice, and you are making your choice.

My position is the skeptical clean slate. I'm not chosing to not believe, i simply have no reason to believe. If something were demonstrably true, I would have no reason not to believe.

Sadly, you are wrong, you are indeed choosing and you are choosing “Not God.”

You have a comprehension issue - you can and try to re-read what I posted, or the problem may be more profound than that.

Well?
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Maybe because the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?

After all, natural selection sifts for genetic variations and traits that provide survival advantage. But producing humans with the cognitive hardware and software capable of discovering subatomic particles would have been overkill. Our actual intellectual abilities would have been wasteful luxuries — at least on the African savanna where our ancestors, we are told, were running from cheetahs or whatever.

So, neo-Darwinian evolution would have gone far above and beyond the call of duty. It’s not impossible, I suppose, but it seems highly unlikely, given our current theories of physics and evolution. And it is those very theories that supposedly show that God doesn’t exist. There’s an extreme tension here. In any case, given all that we know today — given what science has told us — how can you be so confident about your atheism?

Atheism isn't a belief system. It's a skeptical default position. Throw us some irrefutable, demonstrable proof of your claim that is true for all and it can be considered from there - this hasn't happened yet. Science has been gradually claiming all of the gods powers, like they never actually existing.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
mauserand9mm, it seems normal here for you to make huge and sweeping claims about "fact", which immediately make your claims suspect. Yet, you claim such heavy dependence on evidence and proof, and pretend that all others should do that as you do.

This is your big opportunity to be convincing. So, please provide the hard evidence and proof that caused you to believe the truth of these, your utterances, as selected from your posts and noted below Hard evidence and proof now – not observations or opinions. You said this stuff – underlines to provide focus for hard facts.

Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence

Waiting here - just pop out those facts and proofs and all will be well.

Sure.

I don’t have a compendium of dismissing the religious bullshit but I’ll try and point you to some good sources of information.

Huh? Why would you have issue with this? Don’t you think people who believe in a god believe that their god is the real god? You must be on crack.

That onus is on your guys. Proof would be demonstrable and attributable to it’s proven source (eg god provided you with a soul and you need to feel him in your heart yada yada yada). Still waiting for the evidence.

Looks like I may have got this wrong – there are 200 Christian denominations in the US, and about 45,000 globally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

https://www.livescience.com/christianity-denominations.html

There’s a fuck-ton of useful information here for starters:

https://ehrmanblog.org/tag/biblical-discrepancies/

Bart used to be one of you guys before he saw the light, but that's only because he put in the hard yards and did proper research. There are many others who have also done so.

The fantastic events still go unsupported and unsubstantiated - you got any proof that you are withholding from us?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity

https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Gods

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm

Maybe only your god is the jealous one.

You fail mauserand9mm - posted a bunch of someone else's claims and specious data, and proved nothing. Come up with your proofs, please.

Hey, I don't know it all. There are experts in their fields, under peer review, and researchers also subject to skeptic review. That's why I direct you to the their work. So does that mean you know it all on your side of the arguement, or is that just what you believe?
This is not an argument and, no, it does not mean that I know it all - impossible - and I hope never to behave as if I think I do. So, I make it a practice not to jump onto atheist threads (especially daily) and try to critique or undermine anything on which atheists base their beliefs/positions.

OTOH, you do so on a thread about Christianity and fling out these sweeping declarations, claiming also to be heavy duty evidence and proof based. However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof. Very strange. Seems like time to leave the maze.

You're just being defensive.

What's wrong with asking people why they have faith and drilling down on some of the finer points? Wouldn't they already have done that to convince themselves?

However, when asked for your beloved and devoted evidence/truth, you provide practically none and almost exclusively refer your questioner to the opinions and writings of others. Apparently you are willing to accept their views without evidence or proof.

I have trust that their works are the best possible explanations possible because they are recognised experts in their fields and are subject to peer review by fellow experts. Like most people I have trust in many things in daily life because it's impossible to research and maintain a normal life, but it would be possible to do so. I trust my car won't simply fall apart on the road and I could research the design that was undertaken to produce the car, the inspection and testing procedures, the qualifications and training of the service personnel, the testing and verification of the spare parts used etc. There is evidence to be found if I went looking for it. There is none of this with faith.

I doubt that anyone would drive a vehicle assembled by talented chimpanzees and then prayed to god to establish road worthiness.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Further, the Holy Spirit.....".... lives with you (us) and will be IN you. So, when a Christian says "I have proof." He really does... the Spirit of Truth is living in that born again Christian.

All other religions claim the same “proof” – you sure you haven’t been fooled by Satan? It sounds like the sort thing that he would convince you of.

False dichotomy right there – not accepting is not the same as rejecting. Serious consideration would require evidence. Faith choices are made without demonstrable evidence and sounds more like a gambling issue.

MM,

It is not my experience that other religions claim the same thing. I have been around plenty of Moslems and a few Hindus in my travels and had a number of”religious” conversations with more than just a few of them….. not once has a Muslim or Hindu said anything….not one word about the indwelling of the Almighty in them.

Unless you can justify your statement, your statement that “all religions claim the same proof” is false.

They all claim to be the truth and claim the true god. The details are otherwise nuances that don't mean anything given the flawed assertions in the first place.

You missed the point… on purpose I suppose…... Only the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit fill the believer this side of eternity. Even you can admit that that is a very significant difference…..

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

You have a comprehension issue - you can and try to re-read what I posted, or the problem may be more profound than that.

Nope, I saw your point when you first wrote it. You are simply trying to avoid the “not God” choice/position by weakly saying you have “no reason to believe” so it is not a “choice.”

So, is it correct to refer to you as a “non-believer?”……. with respect to Jesus…

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CaptArab
Folks read the bible really weird.

Pro tip- when you read "God said" it usually means "hey we think God says this".

Then Jesus comes along and clarifies things when he says "if you've seen me you've seen the Father"

Basically Jesus is saying everyone else's statements regarding who/what God is are royally fuqqed up . . .

That's why the religious leaders weren't a fan.

But the whole modern Christian thing worships the Bible, not Jesus. .

And that expains the flustercluck of denominations from the one "source of truth".

This guy gets me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Atheism isn't a belief system. It's a skeptical default position. Throw us some irrefutable, demonstrable proof of your claim that is true for all and it can be considered from there - this hasn't happened yet. Science has been gradually claiming all of the gods powers, like they never actually existing.

So given to my 1st paragraph above....." Maybe because of the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?"

I do not know what Jesus looks like, but if you saw the below in person, would that convince you of an afterlife...just curious...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

MM,

You missed the point… on purpose I suppose…... Only the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit fill the believer this side of eternity. Even you can admit that that is a very significant difference…..

You got proof of this? Not just what was written (people can write anything - doesn't even have to be true).

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Nope, I saw your point when you first wrote it. You are simply trying to avoid the “not God” choice/position by weakly saying you have “no reason to believe” so it is not a “choice.”

So, is it correct to refer to you as a “non-believer?”……. with respect to Jesus…

Non-believer would be okay and applicable to all gods/supernatural/etc in my case BTW - that is different to someone who believes something to be untrue. It's not a two option answer (hence the "false dichotomy" response earlier) - the choices are more like "I believe you; I believe the opposite is true; I don't believe you, but don't believe the opposite is necessarily true either (need proof to confirm either way)".

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

So given to my 1st paragraph above....." Maybe because of the enormous evidence (no proof).....so my question to you in return is this: Given “all that we know today,” what are the odds that unguided evolution resulted in organisms like us with such remarkable abilities? Should primates really be good at physics, given our current theories in evolution and physics?"

I do not know what Jesus looks like, but if you saw the below in person, would that convince you of an afterlife...just curious...

I would say "Who's the drag queen?".

Jesus (if he existed) was middle eastern and probably looked like this:

Your first paragraph is a typical "god of the gaps" fallacy response. You have to prove that a god exists and that he/she/it created everything. The correct answer is "we don't have all the answers (yet)". It's no excuse to make stuff up in the meantime.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I would say "Who's the drag queen?".

Jesus (if he existed) was middle eastern and probably looked like this:

Your first paragraph is a typical "god of the gaps" fallacy response. You have to prove that a god exists and that he/she/it created everything. The correct answer is "we don't have all the answers (yet)". It's no excuse to make stuff up in the meantime.

I must have said it to you many times....that there is loads of evidence, but no actual proof....I also said I do not know what Jesus looks like....and I give you that he may have looked like your image....but, if you did see one of the images in person, what that convince you of an afterlife?

Never mind...you will say something snarky and will never say yes or no....

Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,605
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.