Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My guess is there’s a dumb dumb somewhere that accidentally cut water off to that pen.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
My thought on this situation.

How many years have we been shoving fats into tight confinement? 100? 150?

How many times have those pens been exposed to similar weather conditions? 1000s upon 1000s.

If losses such as this have occurred in the past, solely due to summer temps, I would sure like to hear about it.

Now, if in fact this was a 2000 count loss from a 200,000 head operation, that is a different situation.

The story read as if it was a 100% loss.
And this is exactly the reason I'm not buying losing 2,000 head all one night.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Riverc
I was living in Kansas during the heat wave of 2011-2012 and don't remember thousands of cattle dying.

Yeah, I was living here then too and don't remember 'em dying but, to be fair, I don't remember "the heat wave of 2011-2012." blush grin

I do was working at El Dorado SP we had 53 100* plus days that was 2011 was the hottest since 1936. T he summer of 2012 wasn't as hot we had around 30 plus days of 100*

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

How many times have those pens been exposed to similar weather conditions? 1000s upon 1000s.

If losses such as this have occurred in the past, solely due to summer temps, I would sure like to hear about it.

Now, if in fact this was a 2000 count loss from a 200,000 head operation, that is a different situation.

I’m not either. Worked cows plenty of times when it’s been 110 degrees. And we only had black cows. Another words. Registered Black Angus. We never lost a cow to heat stress In my lifetime
Only loss one old cow to cold back in 1983. And she was old enough she was looking for a place to die. The only other cows we ever loss were cows that were calving, stillborn calf’s, or newborn calf’s.
Either the water or feed was toxic, would be my best guess.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Your numbers are low - 1o,000 dead cattle is the number across a bunch of feed lots..

good thing the price of beef was too low.

I’m not sure why they didn’t have the sprinkler systems on, it hasn’t dropped below 80 degree at night for almost a week and a half..

It feels like Late July here - I think the cattle just weren’t ready for this big of a shift.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 06/18/22.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Your numbers are low - 1o,000 dead cattle is the number across a bunch of feed lots..

good thing the price of beef was too low.

I’m not sure why they didn’t have the sprinkler systems on, it hasn’t dropped below 80 degree at night for almost a week and a half..

It feels like Late July here - I think the cattle just weren’t ready for this big of a shift.

They must not make very good gains in weather like that.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

#Pussy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I lived in SW Kansas over 15 years. Heard of larger numbers of feed lot deaths with a big snow.
They can't clear the pens of snow quick enough.
There are some huge feed lots out there with more than 100,000 head of cattle.
There are also hog feeding operations in SW Kansas. Haven't heard anything about that.
Most of these deaths were around Ulysses
FWIW. 80% of beef bought by the US gov't (mostly military) come from SW Kansas.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The KC area feedlots have been watching their costs since feeders were $2/lb . We were loving that but weren’t expecting longevity. That was around 7 years ago. Of course we had the biggest losses then. And so it goes....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Massive die offs in this region have been due to intentional poisoning via water, a dependence on toxic feed (fescue foot), or a gate closure restraining access to water. Never had any nerve gas issues.

My guess is a toxin.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/18/22.

1Minute
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It is obvious some of you have never been in a large open cattle feed lot in the summer.

I amazed the death loss isn't higher.

The heat, humidity, sun, and air quality can be deadly to crowded, overweight mostly black cattle. Most estimates in Kansas are losses of 100 to 500 head per day. Totally believable

No fake news here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hawkeye58
It is obvious some of you have never been in a large open cattle feed lot in the summer.

The heat, humidity, sun, and air quality can be deadly to crowded, overweight mostly black cattle. Most estimates in Kansas are losses of 100 to 500 head per day. Totally believable

No fake news here.
You Mean TRH’s conspiracy opinion isn’t correct?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Despite the heat plus high humidity which is even worse in a feedlot situation,(definitely not the same type of heat you'd feel in a pasture situation) I had heard rumors from a friend of a friend of a friend type of deal that they were thirsted.
Waters went down, pen riders didn't check them. I'm a bit skeptical because out of anything, waters are the first thing I worry about. Horses and cattle can go a long time without feed but not water and especially in a feed lot situation in the heat.

Last edited by CowEater; 06/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn’t just one feedlot from what I’ve seen. It was spread out throughout that region.

It wasn’t just that it was hot.

Abnormally cool weather leading up to a light switch being turned on of the triple digit temps.

Plus extreme high humidity in a region that doesn’t typically have humidity. I lived in Dodge City one summer. The difference in humidity and 100 degree temps from Dodge versus my hometown in southeast Kansas was like daylight and dark.

Plus it wasn’t cooling at night like it normally does.

So no time to acclimate, plus high heat, plus high humidity, plus no nighttime cooling led to a pile of dead animals.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by hawkeye58

No fake news here.
You Mean TRH’s conspiracy opinion isn’t correct?

TRH said "appears to be" in his post

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheesy's post is spot on...this was a abnormal high temp event and cattle were not acclimated yet.... lots of them still have winter hair in June. Cattle die every year due to heat stress, multiple days in humid weather in 95-100 degree heat is tough. If the wind dies around 7 pm...watch out.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I’m not either. Worked cows plenty of times when it’s been 110 degrees. And we only had black cows. Another words. Registered Black Angus. We never lost a cow to heat stress In my lifetime
Only loss one old cow to cold back in 1983. And she was old enough she was looking for a place to die. The only other cows we ever loss were cows that were calving, stillborn calf’s, or newborn calf’s.

Bullshit... where does it regularly get to 110 and they have black angus? You exaggerate too much to be called honest

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ToeCutter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Bullshit... where does it regularly get to 110 and they have black angus? You exaggerate too much to be called honest

Ummm. Anywhere between Amarillo to Wichita Falls and many places south???

With that said, I think lack of shade/June heat (rather than July/August with lighter coat/hair) could’ve done it. There wasn’t a cool place to be found.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stinkin Aliens at it again.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Stinkin Aliens at it again.

Just when I thought Happy Camper couldn't get more full of shìt...he goes and jokingly posts about aliens.

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.