Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Raferman
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by deflave
What was the official designation of the double edge knife that Bale's character carries in Hostiles?

That is a bad ass blade pattern. I asked Gruff to make me one but he told me to GFM.
I thought it was impressive, too.

[Linked Image from content.internetvideoarchive.com]

It's a real knife that was manufactured by Springfield and legit issued.

Unless I'm misinformed.

Counting on Kaydub to set me straight. Could use a book reference too.
Looks like an 1880 Springfield.

Yup!!! Thats what it is! M1880. Sorry for taking so long to get back. In the middle of moving my digs to new locale. My favorite martial blade is the M1849 Rifleman’s knife by Ames Mfg. Chicopee Falls Mass. Lots of Indian made copies out there. Springfield Hospital Corps knife is pretty cool too as well as the bolo knife. Look em up!!!

The Bolo versions are pretty cool. Last one I saw at the big Tulsa Gun Show was not cheap.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
M1849 Ames Riflemans knife

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
M1904 Hospital Bolo

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M1849 Ames Riflemans knife

That’s cool Bob ! Never seen one.

I used to have a Patton Sword that they cut down to make a soldiers knife in WW-1 with the original grip still attached. Gave it to my nephew that you’ve met that does re-enactments at Camp Mabry

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/19/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three of these. Rigid Alamo Bowie. Damn things are 17 inch with a 10 1/2 inch blade. The spine of the blade is 3/8 inch thick and weighs prolly close to for pounds. Real practical... An everyday carry knife right. I have both a gun and knife problem.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No one ever said Jim Bowie made men equal, Colonel Colt did.

As best I can gather affordable, reliable revolvers first achieve general distribution here in Texas with the arrival in numbers of the ‘51 Navy in the mid 1850’s.

The end of the “tyranny of the Bowie knife”?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Birdwatcher,

You mentioned the name Smithwick, that reminded me of an old town out on 1431, between CedarPark and Marble Falls. Nothing really there anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Birdwatcher,

You mentioned the name Smithwick, that reminded me of an old town out on 1431, between CedarPark and Marble Falls. Nothing really there anymore.

You have a good memory.

Later on during his near thirty year career in Texas, Noah Smithwick was one of the first settlers of that section of the Colorado River. Throughout his life he was an industrious individual and built a mill at that location.

Shortly thereafter, being a confirmed Union man. he left Texas for California at the outbreak of the Civil War.

Many years later, when he was approaching 90 and going blind, his daughter had him relate the events of his life to keep him occupied.

A guy who’s extraordinary life reads like a Texian miniseries. Best of all his whole memoirs are available online. See....

The Evolution of a State, or Recollections of Old Texas Days

He is so matter-of-fact it bears careful reading or you might miss it. Like the time around 1840 the Comanches stole his horse, so he reads their tracks, checks the priming on his rifle and sets out on foot to recover it ”because there were only two of them”.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Viking,

As an aside, I have taken the same route a Smithwick in my recent western migration. I have moved from his old stomping grounds on the Wilbarger trace NW of Bastrop on the Joseph Rogers grant, out onto a portion of the old Fowler grant on the Burnet/Blanco co line. Im a bit southeast of his old Burnet county digs SE of the conflux of Double Horn creek (close to his mill location) on the Colorado.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
No one ever said Jim Bowie made men equal, Colonel Colt did.

As best I can gather affordable, reliable revolvers first achieve general distribution here in Texas with the arrival in numbers of the ‘51 Navy in the mid 1850’s.

The end of the “tyranny of the Bowie knife”?
Yep. Colt revolvers replaced the Bowie knife as the best, serious, regularly carried, personal sidearm in the US, but the 1849 Pocket Revolver was actually a hair earlier than the 1851 navy, and was always a bigger seller. The Navy was close in popularity, though.

The Dragoons were never popular personal civilian arms.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yep. Colt revolvers replaced the Bowie knife as the best, serious, regularly carried, personal sidearm in the US, but the 1849 Pocket Revolver was actually a hair earlier than the 1851 navy, and was always a bigger seller.

Tks for the info.

Ranger Captain John Salmon Ford in his memoirs “RIP Ford’s Texas” states that, early 1850’s, his Ranging Company” was reduced to using old single-shot horse pistols due to a lack of “serviceable revolvers”. Didn’t matter that much anyway as most of his Comanche fighting was done with rifles.

1857, Frederick Law Olmstead (the guy who went on to design Central Park in NYC) left us an invaluable snapshot of Texas in his “A Journey Through Texas”. By then guys all over Texas were packing Colt revolvers.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
M1904 Hospital Bolo

I've got one of these but don't have the sheath. I really should search for one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What lots don’t of folks don’t realize in these days of relative stopping power et al, is being gutshot with anything was pretty much a death sentence back then. .31 or .36 cal. round ball or conical, no matter. You gonna ride off and die a miserable death, somewhere.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
George Childress, in a fit of drunken depression disembowled himself with a Bowie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Childress

Another hero of the Tx. Revolution, Dr. Branch T. Archer ( Archer City Tx named for him), tried to shove his guts back in and sew him up best he could. But to no avail.

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A little info on the alleged knife maker James Black.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Black_(blacksmith)

This is a little speculation but he was known as an enterprising self promoting type. I suspect that having famous people like Crockett and Bowie in town was too much temptation for him to resist and he couldn’t help but make a special knife for the famous knife fighter. It probably wasn’t the first “Bowie” knife but it likely contained some “improvements” or special touches and might very well have been the knife Bowie carried at the Alamo a few months later.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/20/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
Birdwatcher,

You have a good memory.

Later on during his near thirty year career in Texas, Noah Smithwick was one of the first settlers of that section of the Colorado River. Throughout his life he was an industrious individual and built a mill at that location.

Shortly thereafter, being a confirmed Union man. he left Texas for California at the outbreak of the Civil War.

Many years later, when he was approaching 90 and going blind, his daughter had him relate the events of his life to keep him occupied.

A guy who’s extraordinary life reads like a Texian miniseries. Best of all his whole memoirs are available online. See....

He is so matter-of-fact it bears careful reading or you might miss it. Like the time around 1840 the Comanches stole his horse, so he reads their tracks, checks the priming on his rifle and sets out on foot to recover it ”because there were only two of them”.

That’s a great book. I actually read it twice.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A little info on the alleged knife maker James Black.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Black_(blacksmith)

So James Black left home at age 8, that’s pretty hardcore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Several great passages in the book, my own favorite is when he reflects upon the action where they tracked and surprised a Comanche war party and rescued the young Hibbons boy (1837 ??)

I was riding a fleet horse, which, becoming excited, carried me right in among the fleeing savages, one of whom jumped behind a tree and fired on me with a musket, fortunately missing his aim. Unable to control my horse, I jumped off him and gave chase to my assailant on foot, knowing his gun was empty. I fired on him and had the satisfaction of seeing him fall. My blood was up and, leaving him for dead, I ran on, loading my rifle as I ran, hoping to bring down another..... The brave whom I shot, lay flat on the ground and loaded his gun, which he discharged at Captain Tumlinson, narrowly missing him and killing his horse; when Conrad Rohrer ran up and, snatching the gun from the Indian’s hands, dealt him a blow on the head with it, crushing his skull....

The boys held an inquest on the dead Indian and, deciding that the gunshot wound would have proved fatal, awarded me the scalp. I modestly waved my claim in favor of Rohrer, but he, generous soul, declared that, according to all rules of the chase, the man who brought down the game was entitled to the pelt, and himself scalped the savage, tying the loathsome trophy to my saddle, where I permitted it to remain, thinking it might afford the poor woman, whose family its owner had helped to murder, some satisfaction to see that gory evidence that one of the wretches had paid the penalty of his crime.

That was the only Indian I ever knew that I shot down, and, after a long experience with them and their success at getting away wounded, I am not at all sure that that fellow would not have survived my shot, so I can’t say positively that I ever did kill a man, not even an Indian.

Cool stuff 😎

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Several great passages in the book, my own favorite is when he reflects upon the action where they tracked and surprised a Comanche war party and rescued the young Hibbons boy (1837 ??)

I was riding a fleet horse, which, becoming excited, carried me right in among the fleeing savages, one of whom jumped behind a tree and fired on me with a musket, fortunately missing his aim. Unable to control my horse, I jumped off him and gave chase to my assailant on foot, knowing his gun was empty. I fired on him and had the satisfaction of seeing him fall. My blood was up and, leaving him for dead, I ran on, loading my rifle as I ran, hoping to bring down another..... The brave whom I shot, lay flat on the ground and loaded his gun, which he discharged at Captain Tumlinson, narrowly missing him and killing his horse; when Conrad Rohrer ran up and, snatching the gun from the Indian’s hands, dealt him a blow on the head with it, crushing his skull....

The boys held an inquest on the dead Indian and, deciding that the gunshot wound would have proved fatal, awarded me the scalp. I modestly waved my claim in favor of Rohrer, but he, generous soul, declared that, according to all rules of the chase, the man who brought down the game was entitled to the pelt, and himself scalped the savage, tying the loathsome trophy to my saddle, where I permitted it to remain, thinking it might afford the poor woman, whose family its owner had helped to murder, some satisfaction to see that gory evidence that one of the wretches had paid the penalty of his crime.

That was the only Indian I ever knew that I shot down, and, after a long experience with them and their success at getting away wounded, I am not at all sure that that fellow would not have survived my shot, so I can’t say positively that I ever did kill a man, not even an Indian.

Cool stuff 😎
Pretty sure Captain Tumlinson is one of my ancestors. there were several in the Rangers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
JMHO- I've always thought of the Edwin Forrest
knife as the real thing. Supposedly allegedly
J Bowie personally handed it to him

I've looked for some books I had that had quotations
from period newspaper accounts of where Rezin Bowie
had written to state that he had "the " Bowie knife made
by Jessie Clift as a knife for James after an attempt
on his life and as a hunting knife, and other eyewitness
accounts of the knife being a large butcher knife.
One letter from Rezin to a newspaper said that the
the knives we think of as Bowie knives were brought
about by other knife makers and not by himself.
That's why I've always thought of the personal
knife of Bowie as the E Forrest knife
I'm thinking Rezin also designed what we call a
Searles Bowie knife

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.