Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
satanology: beliefs about a need to misquote the Bible, present false information about the tenets of such beliefs, and attempt to undermine foundations of Christian lives.

Maybe they teach it down under.

I'm not sure...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we’re seeing in America is more and more people identifying as religiously unaffiliated. They’re referred to as the “nones” here because they checked “none of the above” on religious affiliation surveys.

They’re certainly not embracing atheism here in America. They simply choose to identify as religiously unaffiliated. Quite a few are walking away from the Christianity that they grew up in. They say they find the faith that they’ve grown up in uninspiring, unconvincing and irrelevant.

It’s important to note that the “nones” don’t perceive their understanding of Christianity to be a ‘version’ of the faith. To them, their understanding of the faith is the ‘only’ understanding of the faith. To them, the Christianity they were raised on ‘is’ Christianity. And more and more find their understanding of the faith to be at odds with both scientific and sociological realities that are undeniable in the world that they find themselves living in.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.” - Carl Sagan

'Spirituality' doesn't necessarily mean the supernatural. You are equivocating. Carl Sagan, an atheist, was not talking about supernatural spirit. Consider what he meant, not what you want it to mean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Carl Sagan, an atheist,…

You’re consistently wrong.

“I am not an atheist.” - Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan clearly denied being an atheist.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again, when the law you are referring to was introduced, it was never intended to be the instrument by which man would save himself, but it was the instrument through which man was to be saved. In a very real sense, man is saved through the fulfillment (keeping) of the law. When Christ fulfilled the law, he earned the privilege of life. Those who are in Christ, likewise, share in his righteousness and are declared righteous right alongside him. In that sense, the law has always stood and will continue to stand.

That being said, though, it's important to realize that we basically choose whether the law applies to us individually or not -- through grace, we can choose to be in Christ, or we can choose to stand on our own merits when we're judged. In that sense, too, the law still stands.

The issue here is whether Jesus abolished the law or not. The words attributed to him state that he had not come to abolish the law, that the law would stand and ''all is fulfilled'' - the latter is assumed by many Christians mean that the blood sacrifice fulfilled the law, which therefore no longer applies which, if true, means that Jesus had in fact come to abolish the law.

So we have a problem, where both views cannot be true. At best you could say that the wording is ambiguous, allowing any number of interpretations....which is a problem with the bible, as made evident in the form of numerous interpretations made by various denominations, sects, cults, etc.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The issue here is whether Jesus abolished the law or not. The words attributed to him state that he had not come to abolish the law, that the law would stand and ''all is fulfilled'' - the latter is assumed by many Christians mean that the blood sacrifice fulfilled the law, which therefore no longer applies which, if true, means that Jesus had in fact come to abolish the law.
So we have a problem, where both views cannot be true.

You’re equivocating. Clearly. And you’re clearly not considering what He meant. At all. You’re only voicing what you want it to mean.

The ‘only’ one with a problem is you. Clearly.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

“I am not an atheist. An atheist is someone who has compelling evidence that there is no Judeo-Christian-Islamic God.” - Carl Sagan

Nope. You are quote mining again. That is your fallacy. Try to do better.

Carl Sagan was agnostic on the matter of God, which means not holding belief in the existence of a God. Agnosticism is a form of atheism; soft atheism.

Quote;
''David Morrison, one of Sagan’s students back in the day, tells me by e-mail, “Carl acted like an atheist but rejected the label. I guess it seemed too absolute to him. He always tried to be open to new evidence on any subject. I am reminded of Bill Nye answering a question about what could change his mind about evolution : ‘evidence’.”

I e-mailed the person who would know Sagan’s views better than anyone: Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow. I specifically asked her about the quote in my 1996 story (“An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God”). Druyan responded:

“Carl meant exactly what he said. He used words with great care.He did not know if there was a god. It is my understanding that to be an atheist is to take the position that it is known that there is no god or equivalent. Carl was comfortable with the label ‘agnostic’ but not ‘atheist.'”

Here’s a definition of “agnosticism” from Merriam-Webster: “Agnosticism may mean no more than the suspension of judgment on ultimate questions because of insufficient evidence, or it may constitute a rejection of traditional Christian tenets.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More equivocating on your part. Clearly.

You said he (Carl Sagan) was an atheist.

He (Carl Sagan) clearly said he was not an atheist.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More equivocating on your part. Clearly.

You said he (Carl Sagan) was an atheist.

He (Carl Sagan) clearly said he was not an atheist.

That's you, always wrong. You quoted someone, Sagan, who held no belief or conviction in the existence of a God or gods.

Anyone who lacks a conviction or belief in a God or gods is atheistic. Atheist literally means 'without a belief in God'

Sagan, an Agnostic did not believe in a God or gods;

Agnostic
ag·​nos·​tic | \ ag-ˈnä-stik , əg- \
Definition of agnostic (Entry 1 of 2)
1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable
broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something
political agnostics

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First you said:
Originally Posted by DBT
Carl Sagan, an atheist,…
You were clearly wrong:
‘Then’ you said:
Originally Posted by DBT
Sagan, an Agnostic…
Period.

Despite ‘much’ equivocating on your part.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people's hearts and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CCCC
satanology: beliefs about a need to misquote the Bible, present false information about the tenets of such beliefs, and attempt to undermine foundations of Christian lives.

Maybe they teach it down under.

Dang...another good one.

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
So we have a problem, where both views cannot be true.

You’re equivocating. Clearly. And you’re clearly not considering what He meant. At all. You’re only voicing what you want it to mean.

The ‘only’ one with a problem is you. Clearly.

DBT, that is your interpretation of what Jesus stated....YOUR INTERPRETATION, and I do not see why Christians cannot have their interpretation....as I've said many, many times before....you have your ideas, thoughts perceptions, and Christians have theirs. So, why can't you agree to disagree and be done with it, or do you just want to go on and on and on and on like the energizer bunny that we see in ads on TV?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bludog
Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people's hearts and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.

I pray you are correct...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.” - Carl Sagan

'Spirituality' doesn't necessarily mean the supernatural. You are equivocating. Carl Sagan, an atheist, was not talking about supernatural spirit. Consider what he meant, not what you want it to mean.

Antlers is correct.....you did say Sagan is an atheist (see your words above)...but a few threads later you said Sagan was Agnostic, and here, I agree with you, as I believe Sagan is someone who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some guys who are so desperate for attention and some status, so deprived of normal human interaction in their personal environment, and so willing to lie and dodge in order to retain attention to themselves - that they will say and do almost anything in their quest.

Duplicity, hypocrisy, plagiarism, bold lies - no personal pride to prevent the person from using such tactics - will do and say anything it takes to feed the need. After all, it is just the internet.

I can admire any forthright poster here who is committed to his espoused values and keeps trying to create some positive breakthrough with a person like the above. Better men than me.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Not only continuing to argue while being a bit wrong, but when it comes to the very foundation of religion, the nature and significance of faith, blatantly wrong.

Blah Blah Blah....you believe what you think, and I'll believe what the God of the bible espouses.

It's not what I believe, but how things are and how the world works....the simple fact being that theology is a matter of faith, and we have countless opposing theologies that are based on faith.

It's there for anyone to see...if you are willing. Clearly, many are not willing.

Your "theology" is based on faith too. Your just too obtuse to notice it.

I don't have a theology. Your lament makes it clear that you don"t know what the word means.

Yes, you do. Its called "materialism" (the belief that the Universe is a closed system of material cause and effect) and it and its derivative claims are held on the basis of faith.

Tarquin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Google "theology" then
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Not only continuing to argue while being a bit wrong, but when it comes to the very foundation of religion, the nature and significance of faith, blatantly wrong.

Blah Blah Blah....you believe what you think, and I'll believe what the God of the bible espouses.

It's not what I believe, but how things are and how the world works....the simple fact being that theology is a matter of faith, and we have countless opposing theologies that are based on faith.

It's there for anyone to see...if you are willing. Clearly, many are not willing.

Your "theology" is based on faith too. Your just too obtuse to notice it.

I don't have a theology. Your lament makes it clear that you don"t know what the word means.

Yes, you do. Its called "materialism" (the belief that the Universe is a closed system of material cause and effect) and it and its derivative claims are held on the basis of faith.

Google "theology definition".

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks like the theists have run out of steam. Antlers is in misdirection mode, CCCC is producing bafflegab and Raspy is patting them all on the backside and saying "good job".

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First you said:
Originally Posted by DBT
Carl Sagan, an atheist,…
You were clearly wrong:
‘Then’ you said:
Originally Posted by DBT
Sagan, an Agnostic…
Period.

Despite ‘much’ equivocating on your part.

Agnostics do not believe in a God or gods. You quoted from Sagan, who did not believe in a God or gods - to support your version of spirituality and theism....something that was not supported by Carl Sagan

That is your error. My error was not saying atheist instead of agnostic.

Sagan was against hard atheism, not a lack of belief in God. There are hard atheists, soft atheists and agnostics...none believe in God.

It is you who is equivocating. My only error was minor, I should have said agnostic, not that it matters because the result is the same: Sagan did not believe in a God or gods.

Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.