Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by peepsight3006
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Would be a waste of a good Lab to teach it to run 'yotes. First dog would lure the Lab out, two others will attack the Lab from behind.

Right on AJ!! Sounds like you know your dogs and 'yotes pretty well. 'yotes dream to sucker a dog into the dog yote, bitch and a couple from last years litter. Clod wouldn't last 2 minutes.

Wayne

funny, the red nose Pits out on the farm I hunt, have killed several coyotes, with zero losses to the Pit bulls. 90 pound Pit makes short work out of a Coyote.

Sam......

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We're talkin Labs, not Pit's. I know of a few Labs that went missing from home for a few days only to return with half a hind quarter missing (as in ate off). Never heard of a Lab showin up on a porch with a yote carcass in tow. YMMV.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the Pits don't bring the dead Coyote back. After their sport, they just leave it. We find the hide, bones later. You can tell they were in a scuffle, by the bite marks and blood on them.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know exactly what could break him of chasing deer, you'd have to experiment, but there is no way that I'd shoot that dog. Good luck, I just hope you don't made a dumb decision.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rooster711
I don't know exactly what could break him of chasing deer, you'd have to experiment, but there is no way that I'd shoot that dog. Good luck, I just hope you don't made a dumb decision.

dont worry bout that. Aint no way in hell that that dog would get shot.

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Its what dogs do. I wont tell if you dont. No need snitching on yourself to F&G.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had a black lab that would chase the ball and bring it back when my daughter and I would play baseball, also would move a soccer ball around with his front legs. Nice smart dog except for porcupines. He and our Sheepdog mix would make their rounds and at least once a week, or so it seemed, they would come home and the lab would have a face full of quills, off to the vet. The sheepdog, who couldn't play ball very well came home once with two quills in his nose I pulled out with my fingers, and he never had another one. That lab was the nicest dog but man, was he stupid when it came to porcupines. I was cooking on the grill by the road and the sheepdog was just lying there waiting for the grilled hotdog. Down the road comes this 40 lb porcupine, the sheepdog stood up and looked, I said something to the effect of don't even think about it, and he laid back down, porcupine went on to the cornfield. Dogs do what dogs do. Our elkhound would bark at deer and turkeys and chase them out of the field next to the house, which was her territory. She had a face to face with a big red coyote once, after that they would talk with a few hundred feet between them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it quite hard to believe that anyone would even mention putting the dog down. He's just going on his instincts, he is an animal, afterall. Last time I checked dogs don't think with rationale like humans are capable of. If I were you, I'd invest in maybe a shock collar or just train him, but that's one heck of a dog if you ask me!

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer coming onto your property, fenced or not, are not fair game for your dog. Deer usually are highly teritorial and only travel out of samll native area when pushed or during the rut.

Dogs tht kill deer are a problem -- even in the south where dog drives are under serious legal pressure due to the outlaw behavior of many of those that run them.

I saw a a pair of labs -- pure breds -- kill a fawn while I was trout fishing and only had a fly rod on hand. I leashed and returned the dogs -- they had tags -- to the owner about 3 miles away. The sorry [bleep] allows his dogs to run free and complaimed because they get hit by cars when chasing deer!

Dogs runing deer are fair game in the woods IMO. Even though I have 3 dogs of my own right now and love em a lot. Farm dogs and suburban pets that pack up to run deer for the fun of it and come home for kibble in the morning are no better than yotes.

Like almost every other canine misbehavior, the owners are at fault but the dogs pay.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dog running a deer in its own fenced run is FAR different than a dog running wild and chasing deer...........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Running a deer or killing a deer?

Even the dog hunt clubs do not want their dogs to bring down a deer. It is after all illegal and not likely to leave much edible venison -- unless you do road kill.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in a pen there isnt much difference unless yah think every one should pen their dogs in a deer proof fence........would assume most dogs running deer are interested in caching them....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You got a Deer he was just getting his. not his fault he figured you would be proud of him, I would never shoot any dog for running deer unless it was a pack of them running wild..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunting deer with dogs is almost extinct in this part of the country (lower Alabama). It may still be done in some areas but they are dying out fast.

MColeman, I wish it would die out here in eastern NC.
The dog hunters dominate the public lands, their club land used by the still hunters.
They are dangerous as they hunt the roads sitting on their pickup beds. They are generally obnoxious and think that any deer run by their dogs is theirs.
It's frustrating to spend a week scouting out a good place to hunt, get there early and have a pack of hounds ruin your hunt.
Who wants to eat venison that has been run hard?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Any dog gets the taste of blood can be trouble. Another dog, goat, calf, ... could be next. Don't get me wrong Dog's eat cats, and I'm fine with that but if they're chasing bigger critters that can be a sign of trouble. Sounds like the fawn was smaller than he was. Most dog's that are close to people won't attack in that manner, sounds like clod might be a bit of a loner.

If he didn't kill the fawn your probably ok, if he did, ya might want to keep an eye on him.

In the end it comes down to how agressive and NUTS the dog is. If they loose their head and their aggresive yikes.

He's mixed vs. pure bred?

BTW - keep him away from mules if ya like the clod.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to take a look at some of the state laws on this. I know our state laws are pretty severe. Of course there is always the "getting caught or not" element.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/arusdogschasewildlifetable.htm

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Clod is vary close to people. Sleeps on the foot of the bed, and runs from room to room as alarm clocks go off, because an alarm clock means somebody is awake.

He has 2 other dogs on the property, the cranky ol blue heeler and a 5 year old black lab. He is pretty tight with the other lab and they tag team the ground squirrels.

The only aggression I have seen in clod is towards a stranger, that comes through our gate, expecially if we dont meet them at the gate. More so with men than women.

And the only nuts I have seen is the typical high-strung lab/hound puppy NUTS.

Bout 30 mins ago 2 does crossed our yard. 'Ol clod just sat on the porch eyes locked on them, not movin and very intensly staring at them. But he never mooved, never even barked.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
ok moms home and I got the full story.

She said she let out all 3 dogs. And not long after she herd an odd sound. She thought it was my predator call (fawn in distress maybe?). The other 2 dogs came back in the house, but they were very skittish and nervous. She kept hearing the sound. So she went out to see what it was.

She said there were deer everywhere, and they were all blowing an milling about. She said clod was around the fawn but was also acting skittish. She said he was coverd in blood, but it was sprayed on blood. Like he ran up on it from behind, after its rear had been torn open.

So MColeman I do believe you were right. about it not being clod at all.

I ruled out cougar because the deer was still alive, and it didnt look like any claw marks. I also ruled out the yotes becuz the damage was only in one spot. SO who knows now. But mom is almost positive that it wasnt clod.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
If you have proof the dog killed the deer there isn't any question. Dog should be takin a dirt nap.
Do you have a screw loose?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
He's half hound. Hounds chase game. He was just doing what he's bred to do. He just got lucky and caught the deer, 99.99% of the time they can't do that, however, every hound that trails prey intends to catch the prey, otherwise they wouldn't be chasing it. Around here Clod would probably be pretty sought after by the dog hunters. I don't see a need to do anything to him other than keep him tied up or within his fenced yard. Suggesting that he should be shot is perhaps the most stupid thing I've ever heard. What next, shoot cows for mooing?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.