Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
If it makes you feel better, Holosun is based in California.

It doesn't.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by deflave
I've got a 510c on a tactile shotgun . It's held up so far . If I don't use it for a period of time ( 3 months? ) And keep it stored in a dark corner like just inside a closet I have discovered the reticle will not be lit up. Leave it out in the light for a short time and it will come right on. I know not the best plan being in the dark corner if you haven't intruder but it is what it is so what tells me I solar panel seems to work.
Only let that happen once and try to get it now in the light for a period of time for at least every couple weeks.

I read stuff like this a lot and I have to ask.

Why? Why do you turn the optic off or leave it on shake n' bake or WTF option it's called? The battery is going to last a minimum of two years with the dot turned on. That means that even if you skip a birthday it can be left on and in all likelihood, you can skip two more and it will still work just fine.

If it can't, it probably shouldn't be attached to your tactile shotgun.

About a month back I went to an Active Shooter call. As I was walking back to my rig (nothing happened, it was a pack of Black Cats or some schit) I watched a guy turn the Aimpoint on his (spotless) AR to the off position. I couldn't help but laugh and asked him why he's doing that. He just shrugged. I asked him what the battery life on his Aimpoint was and he had no idea. I'm not sure why folks are affixing these things to weapons when they don't understand any of their capabilities but I'd sure like to see it end in the next decade or so.

It's one thing to rack a round or make ready in a hurry, it's quite another to push buttons and play with up/down arrows in prep for shooting something that broke into your house and wants to rape you and your dog.

Something to think about.
well I'll have to look in the book to see if you can turn it off don't know it's on the shake-a-wake mode but likelihood of me ever needing it in an emergency is quite low where I live there is also lots of other weapons sitting around that are quickly deployable.
Does it have a good battery in it? Shake awake is almost instant. Sounds like the battery is dead and it's resorting to the solar power.
Home and got my actual instructions out. You can turn sleep mode to activate after 10min , 2hr ,12hr or disable sleep mode to stay on constant. IT also says it does some flashing and does something to indicate low battery which I never seen so apparently the battery is okay. Now if it is in shake-a-wake mode it changes the brightness of retical automatically. Or you can actually change it by hand if you don't like it in that does automatic setting. Which maybe where I went wrong the one time and probably had it turned down really dim in low light and then put it up so when I first got it out it was in a very dim setting which in bright light I could not see and when I set it down a few minutes then it went back to auto mode and brightened it up. Maybe LOL it's been long enough ago I'm not real sure but I've never had another issue since.

Last edited by ldholton; 07/07/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You didn't type your response on that Nokia.

It took awhile

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya it could be set in auto brightness mode (which sucks no matter the country of origin). I didn’t think about that.

I have a Trijicon SRO that sees use once or twice a week minimum.

It was set to auto when I took it off the shelf and it has stayed there ever since.

There are zero issues with the auto brightness and motion activation.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Didn't realize that when having the same sight being discussed on a different type of weapon was an issue.
It is an auto mode but only one time is it acted funky and I think it's cuz it is in the dark for too long and the battery is down weak or bad whatever you want to say. Now that said that might be a drawback to your solar back up because you might not know your battery is dead until it's stored in the dark for a long period of time? Let it charges up enough to turn the reticle on within just a few minutes. So unless grabbed and used immediately someone might not know this I might get it out take it to the range get it back out of a case that sits around for a few minutes you know the drill.

Set your 510C to auto and aim into a dark room, closet, etc. You will see the dot/reticle. Now aim it out through a window while the sun is shining. It will disappear.

After that, take your 510C outside and look through the optic. You will see the dot/reticle because the solar panel is gathering ambient light to boost the juice to your dot/reticle. It is not recharging your C2032 battery. It is supplementing power via sunlight.

Contrast that with something like a Trijicon SRO (twice the price). It doesn't matter where you are. The dot will auto configure. If it's pitch black, it will be dim. If it's a bright sun shiny day, it will be bright so the user can see it.

Suffice to say the "auto" setting on your 510C is anything but. That doesn't mean the optic is of no use, but it is something a person needs to look at and consider when purchasing. And people that use these type of optics would be wise to turn it on to a setting they can see in all types of conditions and start testing the battery life today. Because they are not going through the testing standards of a Trijicon or AimPoint.

Not even close.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya it could be set in auto brightness mode (which sucks no matter the country of origin). I didn’t think about that.

It was set to auto when I took it off the shelf and it has stayed there ever since.

The RMR that I had was a good sight but it stayed on manual adjust because the auto adjust only worked for the light it was in not necessarily the light you were aiming in. I hated the distorted view though and the window was quite small. The SRO is a great improvement in usage but not recommended for duty use. Expensive and fragile.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

The RMR that I had was a good sight but it stayed on manual adjust because the auto adjust only worked for the light it was in not necessarily the light you were aiming in. I hated the distorted view though and the window was quite small. The SRO is a great improvement in usage but not recommended for duty use. Expensive and fragile.

That blows.

Was it the Type 2 or an original?

Was it on a handgun or a rifle?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Type 2 RMR 06 on an M&P9 CORE.

I’m now shooting Glock 19’s and as I said this new MOS version has the 507C mounted with the FCD plate. The difference in window size from the RMR is huge though it doesn’t measure that much bigger. No tint or distortion/magnification.

I’ve got a buddy that is an instructor for a large state agency here and he runs a red dot course. He’s running over 100 guys through this 1200 round course and so far recommends the RMR or the 507C. He also shoots matches, which is how I met him. He was shooting a 507c then and is now shooting the RMR.

If this red dot thing works for me, I’ll get another RMR or an ACRO P2 but until I know for sure, I’m fine with the Holosun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
Type 2 RMR 06 on an M&P9 CORE.

I’m now shooting Glock 19’s and as I said this new MOS version has the 507C mounted with the FCD plate. The difference in window size from the RMR is huge though it doesn’t measure that much bigger. No tint or distortion/magnification.

I’ve got a buddy that is an instructor for a large state agency here and he runs a red dot course. He’s running over 100 guys through this 1200 round course and so far recommends the RMR or the 507C. He also shoots matches, which is how I met him. He was shooting a 507c then and is now shooting the RMR.

If this red dot thing works for me, I’ll get another RMR or an ACRO P2 but until I know for sure, I’m fine with the Holosun.

Yeah the 507C seems like a nice sight. I may end up with one because I love the idea of that reticle on a pistol.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For those not familiar, this guy maintains a data sheet on all things pistol mounted red dots.

You might find it useful if you're in the market.

https://www.sagedynamics.org/

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What mount for an MRO on a ironless AR braced pistol?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For those not familiar, this guy maintains a data sheet on all things pistol mounted red dots.

That's a good read - thanks

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by AH64guy

That's a good read - thanks

Anything for my cyber-friends.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I was at the range with a buddy yesterday and he was using a new Holosun on his "work" rifle. He had to make sure it was dialed in for SWAT testing. I was pretty impressed with it as he was hitting a 2 moa orange dot with it consistently. Laying down consistent 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100. He had to replace a Vortex red dot that gave up the ghost the other day. A lot of his buddies use the Holosun, so it came highly recommended to him. He said he's used to using eotechs and Aimpoints when he was a contractor, but likes this Holosun with the solar panel on it. I guess battery life is phenomenal. Wondering how durable they are though? What have been your guys' experience.
I have a Holosun HS503GU. Has the "shake awake" feature, so the battery has lasted over 2 years.
I don't play GiJoe wannabe, but it has held up fine to the normal banging around and rain.
The mount bolts are soft, so I had to tighten to less than 15"/lbs and use LocTite Blue - but they hold just fine.
The sight has parallax error despite what the manufacturer claims, but it isn't a big deal as I can ring 8" steel gongs at 200m without much fanfare.
I've used it on a turkey shotgun and I'm going to try it on my 45-70 Guide Gun next - the hardest recoiling rifle I own.
My model has been out of production for a couple years - I don't regret my purchase.
Holosun makes a couple other brands including the Sig Romeo.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If a person wants to run any optic on an AR they need to have a candid conversation with themselves about what they intend to use that AR for.

"Groups" and red dots rarely mix. It's not the point of a red dot.

I do find comments regarding solar panels and battery life a bit curious because most are advertised as having 20K and north levels of battery life. Holosun gets particularly weird because they adopted the EoTech style reticle, but most fail to recognize that use of that reticle cuts battery life in half. Holosun is also heavy on solar panels. How is this solar panel helping you? How are you/we affirming the fugking thing even works? How many hours per day are you spending with your weapon while exposed to the sun? And if you are spending eight or ten hours in the sun with your weapon, how are we measuring the benefit of these solar panels on an optic that is advertised as having a life of five fugking years?

If somebody tells me they have left the battery running in an AimPoint Micro or Trijicon MRO for four years (I have) I can believe them. If you give that same account regarding a Holosun, I gotta kinda wonder if you understand the concept of time.

Companies like Holosun really shine because they provide a shooter with limited budget to validate "proof of concept" regarding something they may not have otherwise been able to give a go. Of course proof of concept involves things like specified target size, range at which it is engaged, and the time a respective shooter required to ensure hits with one type of sight vs. another. If you're not objectively looking at these things, what's the point?

I don't expect most shooters to become that involved but I do expect them to please understand that a company like Trijicon or Aimpoint isn't going to reinvent the wheel every time a handful of jerkoffs think that maybe something might work a smidge better on the rifle that sees 54 rounds a decade. When you introduce electronics into an optic, you can rest assured reliability will go south if it's not engineered and built correctly. Companies like Trijicon and Aimpoint exhaust all options to ensure these things work. Others, not so much...

Last but not least, tactics is the employing of available means to accomplish an end.

So before equipping your AR, shotgun, or overall bad guy shooter, you need to ask what that end is. Otherwise you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

They have replaced Deflave!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 510C on my PCC. had it for like 5 months and couldn't be happier

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootem
If a person wants to run any optic on an AR they need to have a candid conversation with themselves about what they intend to use that AR for.

"Groups" and red dots rarely mix. It's not the point of a red dot.

I do find comments regarding solar panels and battery life a bit curious because most are advertised as having 20K and north levels of battery life. Holosun gets particularly weird because they adopted the EoTech style reticle, but most fail to recognize that use of that reticle cuts battery life in half. Holosun is also heavy on solar panels. How is this solar panel helping you? How are you/we affirming the fugking thing even works? How many hours per day are you spending with your weapon while exposed to the sun? And if you are spending eight or ten hours in the sun with your weapon, how are we measuring the benefit of these solar panels on an optic that is advertised as having a life of five fugking years?

If somebody tells me they have left the battery running in an AimPoint Micro or Trijicon MRO for four years (I have) I can believe them. If you give that same account regarding a Holosun, I gotta kinda wonder if you understand the concept of time.

Companies like Holosun really shine because they provide a shooter with limited budget to validate "proof of concept" regarding something they may not have otherwise been able to give a go. Of course proof of concept involves things like specified target size, range at which it is engaged, and the time a respective shooter required to ensure hits with one type of sight vs. another. If you're not objectively looking at these things, what's the point?

I don't expect most shooters to become that involved but I do expect them to please understand that a company like Trijicon or Aimpoint isn't going to reinvent the wheel every time a handful of jerkoffs think that maybe something might work a smidge better on the rifle that sees 54 rounds a decade. When you introduce electronics into an optic, you can rest assured reliability will go south if it's not engineered and built correctly. Companies like Trijicon and Aimpoint exhaust all options to ensure these things work. Others, not so much...

Last but not least, tactics is the employing of available means to accomplish an end.

So before equipping your AR, shotgun, or overall bad guy shooter, you need to ask what that end is. Otherwise you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

But all those facts make a spontaneous purchase so difficult.

Soooo.. spontaneously purchase an Aimpoint Micro, RMR, or MRO. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own several of them (Holosuns) and so does my Son.

I liked mine so much I chose one to go on top of my SIG MCX.

I actually sold my EOTechs in order to replace them all with Holosuns.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aaron Cowan dropping pistols in his backyard is a data point, but hardly scientific enough, and definitely not a large enough sample size, to draw any real conclusions.

He’s done a lot to make dots mainstream, but he’s done a lot of harm too.
————

Nobody buys holosun because of the quality of the dot, they buy it because of the price. Period.

They have a solar panel. Congratulations. Now you don’t have to spend $12 a year on batteries (worst case scenario).

They have a cool reticle. Yeah. A cool reticle that you’ve never actually tested side by side with a plain dot to see if it really gives you an advantage.

They’re cheap. That’s what they bring to the table. And they’re cheap because you’re subsidizing the R&D for the Chinese military. Good for you.
————

If you want a tough dot buy an RMR. If you want an enclosed emitter buy an ACRO. If you want a big window buy a DPP or SRO.

If you need a fancy reticle to be able to pick up the dot then get some training to fix your presentation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 32 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.