Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Didn't go through all 20 pages of this thread, but...one of the biggest things overlooked IMHO is the hindsight of knowing there was only one shooter. Unidentified armed parents running around randomly in the middle of a situation like this, with the possibility there are two or more other shooters in the building...what could go wrong?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I have built quit a few schools, everyone I’ve built in the past 10+ years has “classroom hardware” which once the door is closed, is only accessible by key. There is no way to override the lock.

Also, every classroom has a closer. Until I have recently been informally involved in similar training, the thought never crossed my mind the complexities a closer would cause on tactically entering a room with a closer.

Without some training and right tools, the average guy is not “breaching” a modern school door.

Not directed at anyone and not sure if TX has the same “code black” in regards to school construction and access control.

Good post, SLM!

I took one of the posts who said he carried a ‘Jimmy Bronco’. I looked it up for giggles. Depending on the length of the bar, maybe it would work, but I’m not carrying anything in my hands but a pistol.

Then I looked up a current school door design. No frick’n way would the average guy, alone, be able to open the door.

Can we get some Sapper training next for breaching a door alone?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stray
Didn't go through all 20 pages of this thread, but...one of the biggest things overlooked IMHO is the hindsight of knowing there was only one shooter. Unidentified armed parents running around randomly in the middle of a situation like this, with the possibility there are two or more other shooters in the building...what could go wrong?

Lots.

Still no excuse for sitting on your hands while kids are getting killed.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great discussion. Informed opinions most likely all from people who always carry a serious firearm and train regularly...and know some serious pipehittersgrin.

And thanks to those with useful real world experience who were willing to cast their pearls knowing how they would be received by the CF cognoscenti.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Stray

Lots.

Still no excuse for sitting on your hands while kids are getting killed.

I dont know if the cops made any noise in the hall to cause the perp to fire through the door. Whether he was very scared or very smart, it worked.

The cops did flee to safety. I wounder if they considered that the kids had no place to flee to saftey. whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
I have built quit a few schools, everyone I’ve built in the past 10+ years has “classroom hardware” which once the door is closed, is only accessible by key. There is no way to override the lock.

Also, every classroom has a closer. Until I have recently been informally involved in similar training, the thought never crossed my mind the complexities a closer would cause on tactically entering a room with a closer.

Without some training and right tools, the average guy is not “breaching” a modern school door.

Not directed at anyone and not sure if TX has the same “code black” in regards to school construction and access control.

What happens in a fire?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by SLM

What happens in a fire?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
“ There is no way to override the lock.” Like deflave eluded to, teachers do some stupid things for convenience that render the system useless.

If everything is installed correctly, the mentioned bar will not get you through a modern school door.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM

Good post, SLM!

I took one of the posts who said he carried a ‘Jimmy Bronco’. I looked it up for giggles. Depending on the length of the bar, maybe it would work, but I’m not carrying anything in my hands but a pistol.

Then I looked up a current school door design. No frick’n way would the average guy, alone, be able to open the door.

Can we get some Sapper training next for breaching a door alone?

🦫

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin’.

They are passive from inside the class room. If you are talking a rescue or search operation during a fire, every school I know of has multiple Knox boxes with master keys. If not, a K-12 makes pretty short work of a door if used properly. Modern sprinkler systems have greatly reduced fire threat.

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by SLM

What happens in a fire?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Apparently this school did not have these sort of doors and locks? The crazy boy was able to get in.

I have not read this whole 200+ post discussion but what is the big issue with the medic washing his hands? Did that do something to change the outcome?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
Laffin’.

They are passive from inside the class room. If you are talking a rescue or search operation during a fire, every school I know of has multiple Knox boxes with master keys. If not, a K-12 makes pretty short work of a door if used properly. Modern sprinkler systems have greatly reduced fire threat.

What happens in a fire?

Is it feasible to hack through an interior wall? That was a breaching technique thirty years ago.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’d hate to speculate not knowing anything about TX schools access control. In NM, with a properly utilized system, he could not have wandered into the school, much less a classroom. Like deflave alluded to though, the system is there, but teachers and staff have to use it as designed.

Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by SLM

Apparently this school did not have these sort of doors and locks? The crazy boy was able to get in.

I have not read this whole 200+ post discussion but what is the big issue with the medic washing his hands? Did that do something to change the outcome?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
…what is the big issue with the medic washing his hands?

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
We are calling bullshít on THIS:

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Using hand sanitizer at that point and time is one of the best "tactics" shown on the entire sad video whether the guy was a doctor or hard core pipe hitter.
That’s it. In a nutshell.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know a guy that has an entry level job at a local elementary school. He just waves teachers through the gates and walks the grounds during the day.

He said five days after Robb Elementary he had to report three different doors being propped open. His report was met with eye rolls by all involved.

This is about 15 minutes from Parkland by the way.

School staff are some of the worst people walking the earth.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As a last resort yes, but there are much faster ways.

Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by SLM
Laffin’.

What happens in a fire?

Is it feasible to hack through an interior wall? That was a breaching technique thirty years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, and it's one of the things ALERRT brought up in their AAR. But just like he had already done, he'd just shoot you as soon as you started knocking a hole in the sheetrock and pulling out insulation.

It would be a good distraction as someone else made entry, but you're not gonna solve the problem alone doing that.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Yes, and it's one of the things ALERRT brought up in their AAR. But just like he had already done, he'd just shoot you as soon as you started knocking a hole in the sheetrock and pulling out insulation.

It would be a good distraction as someone else made entry, but you're not gonna solve the problem alone doing that.

What if I had a bazooka?

Or a shape charge?

Mr. Smarty Pants.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Building clearing is 1 of the most dangerous jobs a solider has. The military can use explosives to berach entry. Not a viable tact in a school shooting

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

What if I had a bazooka?

Or a shape charge?

Mr. Smarty Pants.

Bazooka's are obsolete

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SLM
Laffin’.

Originally Posted by SLM

What happens in a fire?

What is a K-12?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.