-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not a tacticle scope it’s a hunting scope. Surprising to some here not everyone wants first focal for everything. First focal has its use so if you demand it. Buy something else.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Just saw this:

https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/hunting/3-18x42.html

~24 oz, 30mm, 42mm objective. Could have been really good if they made if FFP with a basic mildot/mildot Gen II reticle....or some measured version of a hunting reticle. SFP and a non-measured reticle for windage hurts so bad.....

That reticle is extremely easy for hunting measured set up......just like any standard duplex.
Darrel

Sure...it gives you a mark for a 75.6" windage hold at 3x, a 25.2" windage hold at 9x, and a 12.6" windage hold at 18x.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It’s not a tacticle scope it’s a hunting scope. Surprising to some here not everyone wants first focal for everything. First focal has its use so if you demand it. Buy something else.

Correct. Those who prefer it, won't purchase that scope.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Whats the MSRP gonna be?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
S&B makes some awesome scopes. The 5-25x56 PM II was ahead of its time and keeps up with the current scopes on the market. It has excellent low-light performance, resolution, and accurate color rendition with CA. The turrets are excellent, it tracks perfectly, and has an excellent parallax adjustment. I've put tens of thousands of rounds out of precision rifles wearing this optic. Unfortunately, some of their other designs end up with poorly planned reticle/knob combinations along with optics that simply weigh more than it should.

They haven't gotten near the perfect scope yet, and neither is this. But neither has anybody else.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dave7mm
It was only an issue when someone got one for free.
And then cooked it on a stove for 24 hours

True story?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by koshkin
The point of the original post was S&B's missing a measured FFP hunting reticle in a scope that should have it. I should have stayed on point.
I've been using them for a very long time.
I was pretty shocked when they upped there eye relief from 3.15 to 3.6. that was 20 years ago.
They just don't respond to the market. I've talked to the guys in Virginia. The home office has been told what would fly off the shelf here.
You don't see it .
And you probably won't.
It's just the way they roll.
The fixed 10x PMII is excellent if you can live with ,10 power..
I've taken a shine to the fixed 8x56.
But then I'm not clicken and dicken.

Dave

They do pay attention to the market, but S&B is not a very large company and they take their time.
I did ask them whether they plan to offer this model in FFP, but there are currently no plans to do so. That having been said, I still plan to test this one and I should be able to do so toward the end of the year. I think they are supposed to hit the market around SHOT Show of thereabouts, but I have a mule deer and elk hunts in November, so I am scheming to get one here in time for that.

I would also prefer it in FFP, to be honest, but as is, it caught my interest because it is notably lighter that typical from S&B. I really want to see how well they pull it off.

As far as whether they will ever make something like this in FFP, I would not discard it right out of hand. I think they can be persuaded if the market is there. Once I have it in my hands, and if I like the scope, I will look into it a little bit and see if I can make a good argument for them. Personally, I think the crossover market is there. A good example of that is the success of Vortex Razor HD-LHT 4.5-22x50.

ILya

Yes, the weight was one of the reasons it caught my eye. Lack of FFP and measured reticle made me look away.

The "crossover market" of hunters who like to shoot, often and at distance, that you mentioned is an area that a lot of scope companies are missing. Different preferences for different people but the following should be a rough outline for the crossover market scope:

1. Reliable - perfect adjustments, return to zero, and zero retention. The ability to take a beating should be a given.
2. FFP
3. Measured reticle in mil's with adjustments in the same. Should be designed to be visible in low light with bold outer bars limited in width from center - no more than 5 mils from center. Inner sections fine enough for holds at distance. If illuminated, limited illuminated area with extremely low illumination for use in low light. Overall, illumination shouldn't be a requirement for the reticle to be seen, only to pinpoint point of impact in low light.
4. As light as possible while still maintaining reliability.

I think Tangent Theta's Long Range Hunter is a really, really good design, though I'd prefer a 42 mm objective for a little less weight and trimmer scope, perhaps finer inner section and limit the illumination to only the inner mil, but it's a really good design overall.....reliability and toughness being the biggest "if".

Bushnell's LRHS is a really good design as well.

S&B's Klassic 3-12 FFP P3 with a BDC is close but could use more elevation adjustment. A 30mm PMII 3-12x42 would be very nice.

NF's 2.5-10x42 NXS would be great if it was FFP and had better reticle options.

Again, different preferences for different people, just my $.02

All good suggestions, although with the reticle I would prefer a VERY abbreviated tree-type design. Sometimes I dial elevation and sometimes I hold. It sorta depends on the situation. When I need to hold a couple of mrad, it is nice to have a couple of wind references. With an FFP design it is pretty easy to make this type of a reticle so that the tree does not get in the way when you do not need it.

I did a couple of designs like that in the past. I do not always know whether the companies I did them for will utilize them, but I've spent a lot of time simulating this stuff. It is very doable.

ILya

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ILya,

Twenty-nine years ago Zeiss threw a factory tour for a bunch of American writers, including both hunting and bird-watching. That was back when they had three factories in Germany, and it was a week-long deal. By halfway through the trip it was obvious the hunting writers were there to be enlightened about why Zeiss scopes were the best in the world, yet American hunters were quite stupidly not buying more of them.

One of the other American hunting writers was Jim Carmichel, and he started explaining the faults of Zeiss scopes for American hunting--including the fact that like just about every other major scope manufacturer did NOT seal/purge their scopes against moisture. (One exception was Kahles, which started doing so in the 1960s.) I joined Jim in discussing that, and various other factors. The Zeiss guys were rather startled, but it evidently sunk in that the U.S. is the largest hunting-scope market in the world. It "only" took another six years for Zeiss to introduce the original Conquest line....

Where are doing your mule deer/elk hunt?

John

All of the German manufacturers have changed their way since then to varying degrees. Sometimes they admit and sometimes they don't, but they all pay attention. They have other markets to consider and they make their own decisions, but they are very aware of the feedback from the US market.

I'll be hunting in New Mexico. Mule deer on the outskirts of Gila national forest. Elk will be in the northern part of the state.

ILya

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
The point of the original post was S&B's missing a measured FFP hunting reticle in a scope that should have it. I should have stayed on point.
I was pretty shocked when they upped there eye relief from 3.15 to 3.6. that was 20 years ago.
They just don't respond to the market. I've talked to the guys in Virginia. The home office has been told what would fly off the shelf here.
You don't see it .
And you probably won't.

Dave

They do pay attention to the market, but S&B is not a very large company and they take their time.
I did ask them whether they plan to offer this model in FFP, but there are currently no plans to do so. That having been said, I still plan to test this one and I should be able to do so toward the end of the year. I think they are supposed to hit the market around SHOT Show of thereabouts, but I have a mule deer and elk hunts in November, so I am scheming to get one here in time for that.

I would also prefer it in FFP, to be honest, but as is, it caught my interest because it is notably lighter that typical from S&B. I really want to see how well they pull it off.

As far as whether they will ever make something like this in FFP, I would not discard it right out of hand. I think they can be persuaded if the market is there. Once I have it in my hands, and if I like the scope, I will look into it a little bit and see if I can make a good argument for them. Personally, I think the crossover market is there. A good example of that is the success of Vortex Razor HD-LHT 4.5-22x50.

ILya

Yes, the weight was one of the reasons it caught my eye. Lack of FFP and measured reticle made me look away.

The "crossover market" of hunters who like to shoot, often and at distance, that you mentioned is an area that a lot of scope companies are missing. Different preferences for different people but the following should be a rough outline for the crossover market scope:

1. Reliable - perfect adjustments, return to zero, and zero retention. The ability to take a beating should be a given.
2. FFP
3. Measured reticle in mil's with adjustments in the same. Should be designed to be visible in low light with bold outer bars limited in width from center - no more than 5 mils from center. Inner sections fine enough for holds at distance. If illuminated, limited illuminated area with extremely low illumination for use in low light. Overall, illumination shouldn't be a requirement for the reticle to be seen, only to pinpoint point of impact in low light.

I think Tangent Theta's Long Range Hunter is a really, really good design, though I'd prefer a 42 mm objective for a little less weight and trimmer scope, perhaps finer inner section and limit the illumination to only the inner mil, but it's a really good design overall.....reliability and toughness being the biggest "if".

S&B's Klassic 3-12 FFP P3 with a BDC is close but could use more elevation adjustment. A 30mm PMII 3-12x42 would be very nice.

All good suggestions, although with the reticle I would prefer a VERY abbreviated tree-type design. Sometimes I dial elevation and sometimes I hold. It sorta depends on the situation. When I need to hold a couple of mrad, it is nice to have a couple of wind references. With an FFP design it is pretty easy to make this type of a reticle so that the tree does not get in the way when you do not need it.

I did a couple of designs like that in the past. I do not always know whether the companies I did them for will utilize them, but I've spent a lot of time simulating this stuff. It is very doable.

ILya

I use the LRHS G2H reticle fairly often and the tree isn't bad. I've never used the tree while hunting but I use it often while shooting. I'm not opposed to it.... I prefer that the outer bars all be the same distance from the center. It's never caused me problems when one has the bigger spacing on the lower bar than the top/sides but visually I prefer them equal on all spacing.

IC B3

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You don't see it .
And you probably won't.

Dave

ILya

2. FFP

ILya

Agree 100% on the reticle design. I think the Tangent Theta MRAD with another 1.5 MILs below the center with finer Christmas tree references would be almost perfect in a hunting scope.

The Bushnell LRHS tree only starts windage references below 2 MILs outside the donut of death which IMO is too far down.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
WHY ? Because they are the best scopes made.
Some of mine are 30 years old and never an issue.
FFP rules !

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
R
RPN Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The March FML is pretty good for a hunting FFP reticle.

On low power it just looks like a tapered duplex, and the graduations start being useable at around 6-7 power. I can't imagine a situation where I'd want to hold on the reticle with the scope set at lower power, so it works well for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RPN

On low power it just looks like a tapered duplex, and the graduations start being useable at around 6-7 power. I can't imagine a situation where I'd want to hold on the reticle with the scope set at lower power, so it works well for me.

I've thought about the March D24V42FIML several times. I'd like to spend some time with one. No idea how robust they are....the question of if they can take a beating is my main concern. At any rate, the FIML reticle looks really good to me for a FFP hunting reticle:

[Linked Image from marchscopes.com]

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RPN

I've thought about the March D24V42FIML several times. I'd like to spend some time with one. No idea how robust they are....the question of if they can take a beating is my main concern. At any rate, the FIML reticle looks really good to me for a FFP hunting reticle:

[Linked Image from marchscopes.com]

Heck of a good looking reticle!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 3-12x42 with the P3L and BDC turret is almost my ideal hunting scope.

But holy [bleep], S&B needs to address how they deal with stray light.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RPN

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the March scopes taking a beating; they are built for the long haul. The 3-24X42 is a superb little scope weighing in under 22 ounces and it's solid.

I like to tell my story with my first March scope that I bought almost 10 years ago. I mounted it on my F-TR rifle and it went to over 100 monthly matches, over 20 regional and state multi-day matches, 7 nationals and a couple of World competition. It saw countless hotel rooms, one major drop and other incidents. It still looks pristine and is now on my backup F-TR rifle. I sent it back to Japan to change the reticle because my eyesight decreased over time, and they sent it back within 3 weeks with the new reticle. The March scopes are hand built for the long haul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ILya
I'm thinking you could make a pretty good argument for FFP.
dave

If you're going to recommend it how about the following:

FFP with a new P3 Hunter reticle...essentially their P3 reticle with only 3 or 3.5 mils to each quad with .5 mil hashes. Only the inner most mil illuminated (P3L)...or a FD P3...if they were going to use illumination.

Really, their P3, P3L, and FD P3 are good...if the original scope discussed was FFP with any of those I'd be in line.

+1

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't speak to all of their hunting scopes but having used two Klassik 6x42's (purchased from Doug) for the last 8 or 9 years with no issues, they meet my needs.

I have looked through a Polar 2-10x50 that was very nice and wouldn't hesitate if the price was right.

I do keep my eyes open for a great deal on a Klassik 3-12x42.

Money well spent.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.