Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks John.
4 it will be.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

Might also mention that it can also depend to a certain extent on resizing method. If you use a typical sizing die with an expander ball, neck brass gets "stressed" 3 times: first when squeezed down by the die's neck, second when pulled over the expander ball, and third when fired.

If you use a neck-bushing die or Lee Collet die, then the neck only gets stressed twice, when sized down and fired, which tends to result in more firings before necks start to crack--or get so hard they affect accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
One of those things I should have realized, of course.
Need to look into Lee, and see if they make one for the K-Hornet. DUH! smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mark,

Might also mention that it can also depend to a certain extent on resizing method. If you use a typical sizing die with an expander ball, neck brass gets "stressed" 3 times: first when squeezed down by the die's neck, second when pulled over the expander ball, and third when fired.

If you use a neck-bushing die or Lee Collet die, then the neck only gets stressed twice, when sized down and fired, which tends to result in more firings before necks start to crack--or get so hard they affect accuracy.

This is true, both theoretically and in my experience. The amount of work-hardening depends on the amount of "working". Tight-necked chambers vs loose ones also seem to affect this. Flaring case mouths and crimping also seem to have a pretty noticeable effect - you tend to get little splits right there at the case mouth in quite short order.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thank you, Craigster.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Too bad there's not a Lee collet neck sizer for the 6.5 PRC. Maybe some day.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
has anyone used the lead pot method. you dip the neck in the lead til the case just forward of the head gets hot.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Too bad there's not a Lee collet neck sizer for the 6.5 PRC. Maybe some day.

Some have tried adapting the 6.5 Creedmoor LCD to work with 6.5 PRC.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...using-6-5cm-lee-collet-die.240886/page-2

I've used the washer method to adapt a .35 Rem LCD to neck size .358 W and have had near perfect success.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by wahoo
has anyone used the lead pot method. you dip the neck in the lead til the case just forward of the head gets hot.

It can work too--but involves heating up a pot of lead, which many handloaders don't have the equipment for these days.

It's a lot like the candle method, except if you know the temperature of the lead it's a little more precise.

The biggie, again, is NOT "over-annealing."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by wahoo

I have. The only negative is the time for the lead to reach temperature and possibly leaving small lead deposits in the neck.

When I did it, I left the fired primers in place and that way the air trapped in the case keeps the lead from entering the case very far and leaving lead deposits in the neck or shoulder. The small amount of soot in the neck after firing usually helps prevent the lead from sticking too. If it did that, a little poke with something like a small screwdriver would pop it out. All I ever saw was a small bit of lead left in the neck.

How long? I used Mule Deer’s method of counting how long it took for the brass to get hot about half way to the bade of the case.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have annealed exactly 0 cases. If I get a cracked neck, I throw the brass away. I doubt I have thrown away more than 200 cases, if that, in 50 years of reloading and 10’s of thousands of rounds fired...

Then why are you answering an annealing question?

The question was.....How many rounds do you fire without annealing?

Shrapnel answered that he has fired 10s of thousands of rounds without annealing! It was a correct answer to a direct question!

It seems you have a reading comprehension problem but that seems to be very common here on the fire! Please reread the question

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like to anneal every third or 4th firing it depends on when I can see that the neck seal is not consistent. When I see burned powder becoming a bit excessive around the outside of some of the necks it's time to anneal

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have annealed exactly 0 cases. If I get a cracked neck, I throw the brass away. I doubt I have thrown away more than 200 cases, if that, in 50 years of reloading and 10’s of thousands of rounds fired...

Then why are you answering an annealing question?

The question was.....How many rounds do you fire without annealing?

Shrapnel answered that he has fired 10s of thousands of rounds without annealing! It was a correct answer to a direct question!

It seems you have a reading comprehension problem but that seems to be very common here on the fire! Please reread the question

Tristi,
The OP ask exactly three questions: "Once I anneal, does the counter reset to zero? That is, can I mix brass that was fired 3x before annealing with brass that was fired 5x before annealing and not have problems? Or do I still need to track the number of firings?

None of the questions the OP asked resemble your misstated "How many rounds do you fire without annealing?"
It seems you're the one with the reading comprehension problem, among the other well known shortcomings you constantly demonstrate here.
GFY.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A different take on what to use as a temperature indicator.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co...ing-cartridge-brass.139418/#post-1282661

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ok, Al. Where did you get that annealing ring? Or, is it DIY?
Just gotta know.🤔

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Check out what the best F-Class shooters and long-range BR shooters are doing. There are a few lessons there as to what works the best. I believe Erik Cortina has a few youtube videos on the subject.

Funny you would mention that.

My father set a couple of records for his age group in F-Class when he was still shooting. When I asked him about annealing, he said that he had tried it and never saw any benefit from it.

I'm giving it a try anyway.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Ok, Al. Where did you get that annealing ring? Or, is it DIY?
Just gotta know.🤔

Todd Kindler at the Varmints Den used to sell them, at least that's where I got mine.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Check out what the best F-Class shooters and long-range BR shooters are doing. There are a few lessons there as to what works the best. I believe Erik Cortina has a few youtube videos on the subject.

Funny you would mention that.

My father set a couple of records for his age group in F-Class when he was still shooting. When I asked him about annealing, he said that he had tried it and never saw any benefit from it.

I'm giving it a try anyway.

Okie John
I think its either F-Class John or Erik Cortina that have several youtube videos where the practice is tested. Check it out!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.