Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Wolves are like covid, ebola, rabies, cholera, HIV, smallpox, bubonic plague, yellow fever, anthrax, etc. Just because theyre a nuisance doesn't make them any less a species deserving an equal place on this planet. Sarcasm.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wolves have been reviled world wide for centuries but they're still with us. They don't need our help to survive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No limit, no closed season would be a good start for wolves.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
"A" wolf wouldn't be any trouble, four hounds trail up into a pack of wolves , I think the hounds will come out on the short end of the stick.

My deceased uncle and his friends gave up on coon hunting around sw ohio.
He said, you train a dog to trail and tree coons and before you can get to the dogs they're in a battle for their life with coyotes. The dogs become leery of getting very far from them and 'stand around under your feet'.

I don't own trailing hounds, but hunt with relatives that do and over the years have watched their hounds tree a mountain lion, bring to bay Black bears and coyotes and run wolves. They are not chicken schidt dogs. Based on your comments, I would suggest you hook up with some houndsmen and see for yourself how effective hounds are on wolves or go on the internet and obtain a copy of the book HOW TO HUNT WOLVES by Adolph Balls. LOL

Last edited by roundoak; 08/15/22.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
On the wolves how many hounds are working the trail?

Great pictures you posted

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Irish Wolfhounds why not a Scottish Wolfhound? The fact of the matter the ones raised now are for show purposes and not for serious hunting. There is no breed of dog that will survive a Wolfpack attack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman, your size comparison is not apples to apples. The photos I posted up are the Eastern Timber Wolf found in the Great Lakes states and Canadian southeastern provinces and tend to run smaller than the Gray Wolf of Alaska, Canadian western provinces and wolves introduced or immigrated to the lower western states.

Do you have coyotes weighing 60 - 110 lbs. in your neck of the woods? This is the smallest wolf the group I hunted with tagged, a 62# female. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You mentioned that entire packs of hounds were wiped out by wolves. Wisconsin has completed 4 wolf seasons and I recall learning of only a couple of hound casualties, and a few injuries.

Your question: "When you all set loose, do you only do so on wolf tracks that you can reasonably conclude are from a lone wolf and not from those with a pack?"
Yes, that is the main objective.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Our guide in Wyoming wouldn't let his lion dogs on a trail if it was too late. He didn't want the wolves to kill them if they were out overnight. Wolves are generally disliked because of the toll they take on game population. Killed a couple in Ontario over road kill deer bait. They are not dumb and are killing machines.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
[quote=tylerw02]Washington DC is already a huge wolf sanctuary. What more do they want? But I hope each greenie personally protects a wolf. Maybe the wolf can wear them as body armor.

I believe you meant Weasel Sanctuary…..[/quote

One already exists. . . It's called the District of Columbia...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
T Inman, your size comparison is not apples to apples. The photos I posted up are the Eastern Timber Wolf found in the Great Lakes states and Canadian southeastern provinces and tend to run smaller than the Gray Wolf of Alaska, Canadian western provinces and wolves introduced or immigrated to the lower western states.

Do you have coyotes weighing 60 - 110 lbs. in your neck of the woods? This is the smallest wolf the group I hunted with tagged, a 62# female. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You mentioned that entire packs of hounds were wiped out by wolves. Wisconsin has completed 4 wolf seasons and I recall learning of only a couple of hound casualties, and a few injuries.

Your question: "When you all set loose, do you only do so on wolf tracks that you can reasonably conclude are from a lone wolf and not from those with a pack?"
Yes, that is the main objective.

Thanks for the response. I figured those were smaller Great Lakes wolves and not western or Alaskan. Our coyotes average 30 or so pounds with bigger males getting to maybe 45 pounds. Those wolves in your pics looked 50-55 or so pounds which is why I guessed them to be “really big coyote sized”. Guess I was off a touch on guessing their weights.

I have heard of a very select few houndsman purposefully setting loose on western wolves. I do not know how successful they have been. Wolves and especially wolf packs there are a death sentence to lion/bear hounds out there. I have been along when 5 or so were killed by wolves and don’t believe I know of a single houndsman who hasn’t lost at least a couple hounds. I am guessing it is a wolf size thing???

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Round oak cool pic your are correct a 100 to 125lb wolf is a nice one in Ontario. Coyotes top out at about 45lbs and don't look the same. Ever run across any that looked like they had domesticated dog in them? Saw a couple that were yellowish, kinda like a coy dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You stated your wolf was 7'4" nose to tip of tail...what was the weight?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ol mike, 3-4 on the low end, up to 10 on the high end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RMiller2
We're close to that in Idaho. Most seasons are open 11 months with a few year round. You do have to buy tags ($11 for residents, about $30 for non-res) but there's no limit to the number of tags you can buy. I think they'd drop the tags but the feds decreed that the IDFG would have to manage the wolves but didn't sent any money to do it. Somebody has to pay for it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Round oak cool pic your are correct a 100 to 125lb wolf is a nice one in Ontario. Coyotes top out at about 45lbs and don't look the same. Ever run across any that looked like they had domesticated dog in them? Saw a couple that were yellowish, kinda like a coy dog.

No, I have not come across a coy dog version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RMiller2
We're close to that in Idaho. Most seasons are open 11 months with a few year round. You do have to buy tags ($11 for residents, about $30 for non-res) but there's no limit to the number of tags you can buy. I think they'd drop the tags but the feds decreed that the IDFG would have to manage the wolves but didn't sent any money to do it. Somebody has to pay for it.

R C, does the state of Idaho compensate the owners of dogs or livestock for wolf predation?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unsure. I skinned him on the spot and was 5-6 miles in, and it was right at dark. They’re all legs so not as heavy as one would think for how long they are, or he was at least. 100 lbs maybe?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have heard of a very select few houndsman purposefully setting loose on western wolves. I do not know how successful they have been. Wolves and especially wolf packs there are a death sentence to lion/bear hounds out there. I have been along when 5 or so were killed by wolves and don’t believe I know of a single houndsman who hasn’t lost at least a couple hounds. I am guessing it is a wolf size thing???

Here is an observation that fellow hunters share with me when using trailing hounds. Wolves seem to be attracted to barking or baying hounds when pursing other game such as bears, coyotes or bobcats, but turn and run if hounds are trailing them. We have seen this happen after the hounds are put on a single wolf track and that wolf merges with other wolves. The pack will run a ways then split up leaving the hounds on the original wolf or hounds will trail a different one. My nephew and I witnessed this while posted up. He filled his tag as five wolves came loping by with a pack of hounds about 50 yards behind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Unsure. I skinned him on the spot and was 5-6 miles in, and it was right at dark. They’re all legs so not as heavy as one would think for how long they are, or he was at least. 100 lbs maybe?

This one was 96 lbs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
98 lbs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice pictures I'm going to have to take the time to learn how to post pictures. I did not realize that hounds were used for wolves. Do you run bobcats I've seen them mess with the hounds by doubling back and circling. Living on the mostly flat praire I sure enjoy the north woods. My son and I hunted up by Thunderbay. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.