Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gzig5, I'm no 1911 guru or gunsmith, i called my 'Smith and told him what i wanted to do, he's a traditionalist and didn't think much of my idea wanting to hot rod my 1911, he reluctantly told me what to order beacuse he knew i was going to do it anyway, he also said with these parts i wouldn't beat my new pistol up, also said to save my factory parts to put it back the way it came when i came to my senses! grin it may be a little on the heavier duty side so sprung and setup, but that's fine by me, good luck and have fun, it's a great round and as said, has plenty of power in reserve built on an all steel 5" platform, i know i'm leaving plenty on the table with 200grs at 1250 fps, but that's plenty for what i want to do.

With a bullet that retains near 100% weight and penetrates to next week and is accurate, i'm there, just need to get some hair in front of those sights.

10-4 on all that Vic, my pistol is so heavy, and with only firing 200grs, recoil is nothing, it do have some muzzle blast though, the fireball from 10gr 800X at near dusk is impressive LOL, those Glocks will eat anything, the barrels drop down really nice in the back when the slide gets blown back, great combat/hunting guns.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Finally shot the Glock 21 with the KKM barrel today and got a baseline on pressure/velocity.

Life and its time demands sometimes get in the way.... Work is really wanting a large part of it and since it pays and pays well, I defer to it. Today was the first one in 12 days I had off....

I have not sent the barrel to CylinderHone yet, wanting to get an idea of performance potential before mods. I did find that the KKM will meet my parameter of the 255 grain Pinbuster at 1050 fps at reasonably moderate pressure, and having "the treatment" done will allow lower pressure at that velocity. It also enhances accuracy to a degree, but a Glock full of drop-in parts ain't gonna be but so accurate. I'll admit the pistol is accurate enough for it's intended use (to protect me), but the Indian could use a little improvement in skills, which we will work on. I promise. Since finding out about velocity and reliability were the most important thing I wanted to find out about, I didn't really shoot for accuracy, but I know how well I shoot....

Reliability with large-meplat bullets was 100%. The PinBuster and 215 grain Xpress were fired.

I have another Glock 21 that's going to get the Rowland treatment, we'll see how that compares to the Clark kit (an excellent conversion) in my 1911.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 08/14/22. Reason: correct some grammer
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff Vic, and yessir, grab that cabbage when available, dont leave any on the table, you can then get to F'ing off permanetly a lot sooner ; ] those loads sound great, the Rowland setup is going to be a real hunting hammer, i got an empty apple cider vinegar gallon jug from Wife, cut a notch in the top and dropped in a few rocks, set it out at 20/25/30/35 yards at the base of an old bow stand tree, got up in the stand and fired at all ranges, my 45 Super is ready, i will most certainly shoot a pig with it while bowhunting deer instead of ruining a 20 dollar arrow and broadhead.

I still think this 200gr FTX bullet designed for max speed of 2100 fps will act like a super premium at only 1250 fps, going to be hard to recover one on a deer or pig, will be great fun testing this.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yea, when I quit working, I'm gonna QUIT.

Sounds like you've gotten ready, both pistol and skills-wise. Just waiting on the day. I like how you've duplicated an actual hunting scenario. As for pistol hunting, I'll admit I don't have the confidence in my skill just yet. But that gives me something to work on.

The FTX sounds like it'll be tough enough. I don't know if it's the best thing, but I feel like a through and through is what to strive for, and you've got a load that's designed around what you're going after.

I'm interested in seeing what the MBC 215 Express will do. I originally thought "Heavy bullet" with the Super, but a 210 grain (actual weight) with a big meplat and Brinnel hardness of 20 going 1200+ fps sounds like it might do.

Sounds like you have a plan for that Super, we're hoping it comes together!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Finally shot the Glock 21 with the KKM barrel today and got a baseline on pressure/velocity.

Life and its time demands sometimes get in the way.... Work is really wanting a large part of it and since it pays and pays well, I defer to it. Today was the first one in 12 days I had off....

I have not sent the barrel to CylinderHone yet, wanting to get an idea of performance potential before mods. I did find that the KKM will meet my parameter of the 255 grain Pinbuster at 1050 fps at reasonably moderate pressure, and having "the treatment" done will allow lower pressure at that velocity. It also enhances accuracy to a degree, but a Glock full of drop-in parts ain't gonna be but so accurate. I'll admit the pistol is accurate enough for it's intended use (to protect me), but the Indian could use a little improvement in skills, which we will work on. I promise. Since finding out about velocity and reliability were the most important thing I wanted to find out about, I didn't really shoot for accuracy, but I know how well I shoot....

Reliability with large-meplat bullets was 100%. The PinBuster and 215 grain Xpress were fired.

I have another Glock 21 that's going to get the Rowland treatment, we'll see how that compares to the Clark kit (an excellent conversion) in my 1911.

VIC, What would I need to run a 45 super in my Glock 41?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What I did with my 21 is: KKM barrel, NDZ 24 lb Recoil spring, and extra power mag springs, to start with.

I like to use a compensator to reduce slide speed, though really not needed at sane Super pressures.

The KKM barrel I'm using now has their proprietary compensator on it, but I have ordered another KKM with supressor threads to accomodate a Carver Custom 4-port comp, and both barrels will eventually be sent to CylinderHone to have some work done on the throating. This will do two things, make the throating more ammenable to cast bullets and second, allow a longer OAL with some bullets that tend to need a shorter OAL. This has the effect of lowering pressure over the original throating at a given velocity or higher speed at max pressure.

I look for <8 feet ejection, saves frame battering. Comps really help with that. They are loud and ugly, but work.

If the 41 were mine, I'd look at a KKM threaded barrel and have CylinderHone massage it, Carver custom 4-port comp, NDZ 24-lb recoil spring (captured), and some extra-power magazine springs, though the mag springs are really not needed if slide velocity is kept sane. I just like the assurance.

A 255 grain hardcast bullet at 1050 fps gives a good balance of power but quick recovery for repeat shots, and penetrate really good.

One thing I don't know yet is: Will the pistol cycle ACP loads with the 4-port comp? If not, I'll change the recoil spring to a stock-weight one. The 2-port comp dribbles ACP loads at my feet. I just don't know if the faster powders used in an ACP load generate enough gas to make that a concern, but I'll find out.

There, that should be clear as mud....grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for the info.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yea, when I quit working, I'm gonna QUIT.

Sounds like you've gotten ready, both pistol and skills-wise. Just waiting on the day. I like how you've duplicated an actual hunting scenario. As for pistol hunting, I'll admit I don't have the confidence in my skill just yet. But that gives me something to work on.

The FTX sounds like it'll be tough enough. I don't know if it's the best thing, but I feel like a through and through is what to strive for, and you've got a load that's designed around what you're going after.

I'm interested in seeing what the MBC 215 Express will do. I originally thought "Heavy bullet" with the Super, but a 210 grain (actual weight) with a big meplat and Brinnel hardness of 20 going 1200+ fps sounds like it might do.

Sounds like you have a plan for that Super, we're hoping it comes together!

Yessir, all good fun stuff Vic, you wont go wrong with those heavy hard cast slugs, will be looking forward to your results as well, it's going to be a great hunting season this year, i'll get it started with Cape Buffalo and plains game in Africa on the banks of the Limpopo to the North to the edges of the Green Kalahari to the South and West.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jealous here. Wishing you lotsa luck and a safe trip.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Vic. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have interest in the 45 Super. I bought a 10mm thinking that would scratch that itch..... but not really. A half inch diameter bullet moving 1200 with alot of friends in backup is appealing.

So - what is the best platform to a 45 Super?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It's a great round bwinters, it's my second build, both were built on all steel 5" 1911's, i cant think of a better platform.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have Supers in both the 1911 and Glock 21 platforms.

As Gunner pointed out, the 1911 is great, just make sure you either have "Super" brass or a fully supported barrel. It's easier to calm the slide velocity down with a couple of tricks besides springs.

The Glock offers a lower bore axis, larger grip to spread recoil, and some flex in the frame. You absolutely should get an aftermarket barrel, the OEM design is lacking in support but is reliable as hell with ACP loads. Doesn't take too long to get "smileys", but with a supported barrel, even ACP cases can be used to develop some rather stout loads.

I recommend barrels for either one go to CylinderHone for a throat treatment. It's not expensive and turnaround is fast, does wonders with pressure, and is designed around shooting heavy cast bullets. I generally use 250/255s at 1050 to 1100 fps.

At this point, I'd say "what platform do you like"?

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 08/22/22. Reason: had to get back to it, got called away.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic of some Montana Bullet Works 250 grain LFN GC, brinnel hardness, I believe, is 22.

At 1050 fps, recoil is at a level that allows quick follow-ups, and those bullets will penetrate for a couple days..

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey vic,

I have several Glocks and have grown to like the platform. Took me a summer to learn how to shoot them but find them comfortable and accurate. If I had my wishes, I'd use a Glock 21 with aftermarket barrel. I like the platform and capacity of Glocks.

I had a couple 1911s and love them. I would like a bit more magazine capacity than the 1911 offers. For reference, I carry my Glock 20 alot. Each magazine holds 15 rounds. I dont feel undergunned with a single magazine but almost always carry 2 riding in an HPG chest rig. The Glock 21 holds 13. My RIA held 7-8 as I recall.

Spray and pray is not a viable strategy but I shoot the Glock fairly accurate at a rapid pace. I wasn't as accurate with my RIAs in quick fire mode. Slow, rested or offhand, the RIAs were accurate enough for me - but when I began moving around and mimicking situations I thought might develop in the woods, the Glock is a bit more accurate, and it carries more rounds.

Long-winded way of saying, I'd use a Glock if safe and feasible.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, I just finished putting a 21 together.

I have tried Alpha Wolf and KKM for barrels, my preference is the KKM, specifically the threaded barrel. It's 5.375" long. I haven't tried it yet, but Carver Custom makes a 4-port comp that ought to really tame slide velocity down.

I have 4 mags with SLR rifleworks +4 extensions, and several OEM capacity with +20% springs. The SLR extensions seem to be reliable and do allow the mag to hold 17.

Gun with the SLR extension, comp is a KKM 4-port, another efficient design. The only issue I have with that barrel setup is the threads are a proprietary pitch and size so you gotta run whatcha brung. It does work good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could like that. I'm interested in your loads and accuracy.

Thanks for posting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a new lone wolf g21 barrel and carver 3 port comp in the classifieds that I planned to do exactly this with , and never picked up the g21

I have shot underwood 45 super and some similar hand loads out of the factory barrel and a Kkm in my g41 with no issues

Last edited by jmd025; 08/24/22.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here's a pic of some Montana Bullet Works 250 grain LFN GC, brinnel hardness, I believe, is 22.

At 1050 fps, recoil is at a level that allows quick follow-ups, and those bullets will penetrate for a couple days..

Vic,
What is the metplat diameter on those big girls and what range of OAL length feeds well?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bwinters, I'm still working on the loads for the Glocks. As of now, I haven't had the Glock barrels throated. The KKM barrels are fairly accommodating of the longer OALs, which really helps with pressure and an eventual max load.

My standard start to test a barrel is:

Starline brass (unobtainium at the moment)
WLP primer
10 grains AA7
Missouri Bullet Company 255 grain Pinbuster (actual weight 250.4 grains, hi-tech coated)

1.18" OAL

My SR1911, with throated barrel 954 fps
Alpha Wolf Barrel 1037 fps
KKM Precision barrel 1007 fps

Measured case capacity in all three barrels was essentially the same, 27.2 grains of water.

I don't know what max OAL is in the SR1911, but there is no trouble going 1.26" at all, which is all the Wilson P47Ds allow.

The Alpha Wolf barrel Max OAL is 1.18" and maxes out on pressure pretty much right out of the gate. I'm not going any further with it, it's melonited, costs a lot to throat and the guy said it won't come out as nice so I'll leave it as is.

The KKM barrel will allow just past 1.26". I haven't had a chance to verify it yet, but QL says I should get 1050 fps with this bullet with pressure to spare, but not as low as the throated barrel in the 1911.

I now have two of the KKMs, and as soon as I can, I'll get them throated and re-run the data I have. I have one obstacle, work. I am going to be very busy from now to Christmas, and the best I'll be able to do for shooting is maybe once every other weekend. Next goal is to compare throated data to unthroated in the same barrel.

As an aside, the Montana Bullet Works bullet shown in the pics were tested with the same load, the exception being a 1.202" OAL. The results were 1015 fps. This bullet feeds impeccably in the Glock, and my Clark-barreled Rowland in a Kimber 1911, but I haven't determined if I trust it in my Ruger 1911. So far, it's been Ok, I just haven't gotten the warm-fuzzies yet. These bullets are somewhat expensive and can be harder to get so I don't blast them away at the rate I do the Pinbusters.

I eventually plan to migrate to them (the MBW LBTs) but I'll get things sorted out with the Pinbusters. I like the larger meplat of the MBW bullet. In the 1911, I ran them at 1037 fps with pressure not to far out of +P range, so 1050 was easy. The Ruger barrel is not as well supported as the Clark barrel in my other 1911 or the aftermarket Glock barrels, so I like to keep pressure as low as possible with it.

gzig5, the pictured bullets are the Montana Bullet Works 250 grain LFN GC for the .45 LC. They are .665" long, weigh 254.3 grains actual weight, and the meplat is .325". I'm using .451", but I'll eventually try .452". These bullets are about 265 dollars for 500 vs about 70 to 80 for the Pinbusters, so I do a lot of the legwork with the Pinbusters

My Rowland 1911 eats the LFN-GCs up, no reliability issues whatsoever.

Back to the Super, I run them at 1.23" OAL because any longer, the edge of the meplat catches on the edge of the ejection port if I cycle a live round out of the chamber of my 1911. In the Glock, a dummy test showed that out to 1.26" is possible, but I haven't verified mag function yet. If I get thing hittin' on a hundred with the Pinbusters, it's just a quick-n-dirty switch to the MBWs for field carry.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.