R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by deflave
Beretta 1301 or Benelli M4 and there are no comparisons.

I can give reasons but you’d probably just huff, puff, and mow the lawn again.

LOL

No. I'll be happy to hear what you have to say about them. I'll say that so far I'm looking at recoil operated actions. But the Benelli M4 action sounds interesting. I've read up on it but it's difficult to get a handle on what they're saying without having one disassembled in front of me.

It's simple when you look at the inertia action. A heavy coil spring in the bolt compresses when the gun recoils, causing cycling of the action.

That makes sense. I wish they had described it like that.

Short blow back gas piston inertia guns have their action/interia spring in the buttstock connected via a link bar to the bolt carrier and the bolt sits on top of the carrier.
The only springs in the bolt are the firing pin spring and the extractor spring, most have a simple post in the barrel that acts as the ejector.

And that whole inertia assemble from the bolt back is held in with a easily removed charging handle.

That is the basic design of a short blow back gas piston inertia gun....

If we are gonna tell people info .
Let's all try to tell them at least semi correct Info.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
With my Benelli M90 and quail flushing up ahead of a pointer, if I know I'm off with the first shot I have to be a bit slower on the second shot while waiting for the gun to cycle completely before hitting the trigger for the follow-up shot.

That is something I had never experienced with an Auto - 5 and after 15 years with the Benelli is still disconcerting.
There is no BoomBoom. The best I can get is a Boom - Boom.
There's a reason the Winchesters repeat fire faster and my Browning A-5 also cycles faster.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/27/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Has anyone shot the Weatherby 18I or Element?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
With my Benelli M90 and quail flushing up ahead of a pointer, if I know I'm off with the first shot I have to be a bit slower on the second shot while waiting for the gun to cycle completely before hitting the trigger for the follow-up shot.

That is something I had never experienced with an Auto - 5 and after 15 years with the Benelli is still disconcerting.
There is no BoomBoom. The best I can get is a Boom - Boom.
There's a reason the Winchesters repeat fire faster and my Browning A-5 also cycles faster.

Tom Knapp agreed. This is why he chose the Auto-5.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just went through this dilemma and it came down to a Benelli M4 or Beretta 1301, and I chose the Beretta.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by deflave
Beretta 1301 or Benelli M4 and there are no comparisons.

I can give reasons but you’d probably just huff, puff, and mow the lawn again.

LOL

No. I'll be happy to hear what you have to say about them. I'll say that so far I'm looking at recoil operated actions. But the Benelli M4 action sounds interesting. I've read up on it but it's difficult to get a handle on what they're saying without having one disassembled in front of me.

It's simple when you look at the inertia action. A heavy coil spring in the bolt compresses when the gun recoils, causing cycling of the action.

That makes sense. I wish they had described it like that.

Short blow back gas piston inertia guns have their action/interia spring in the buttstock connected via a link bar to the bolt carrier and the bolt sits on top of the carrier.
The only springs in the bolt are the firing pin spring and the extractor spring, most have a simple post in the barrel that acts as the ejector.

And that whole inertia assemble from the bolt back is held in with a easily removed charging handle.

There is indeed an inertia spring housed within the bolt body behind the rotating bolt head in the Benelli inertia gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have abused a Beretta Xtrema 2 in salt marshes and on the open ocean, it's literally spent hours with the surf lapping over it and it's been flawless.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never had that experience with my Benelli MF90.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was one of several gun writers invited to "field test" the then-new Benelli Ethos 12-gauge in 2015 during a week-long shoot in South Africa--which if anything has better wind-shooting than Argentina. (Was in Argentina for the second time a month earlier.)

They were all 12-gauge, 3" chambered models. I shot the gun assigned me for close to 1000 rounds, on mostly hot, dry and dusty days. The only time it failed to function was when somehow a piece of gravel about 1/8" in diameter got inside the action, and when it was removed the gun kept shooting. The gun was never cleaned or lubed during the entire week, and everybody else had similar "luck."

Of course could not do without it, and have had it ever since, using it in conditions from below zero here in Montana to rainy waterfowl hunting in Alberta. Still have never cleaned or lubed it, yet it keeps working fine.

Have shot a lot of gamebirds in various places, with a wide variety of shotguns--alongside a bunch of companions with an equally large variety of guns. But sold my Beretta 390 a few years ago because of the Benelli.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the Ethos have the same action as the M4?

No, it has a recoil-operated action--but with other features outside the action (especially in the stock) that mitigate recoil considerably. Mine weighs 6 pounds, 9 ounces and as mentioned shot it a LOT in South Africa, though primarily with 2-3/4" loads using no more than 1-1/4 ounces of shot. Have shot it far more in North America with 3" loads of various kinds, and still have never found the recoil objectionable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Let's all try to tell them at least semi correct Info.[/quote]

Had to YouTube it. Pretty slick that they fit a piston in between the barrel and the magazine.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Surprised no one has mentioned a Super-X 1. Just make sure the old buffer has been replaced.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Had to YouTube it. Pretty slick that they fit a piston in between the barrel and the magazine.

[/quote]

Oh and just for GP..
Blackheart the " gunsmith" is wrong and dosent know what he is talking about.
Part #,s 27 to 43 are the bolt assembly.
With no springs in it like he and others have said.

Part #,s 89 to 94 are the short stroke piston and rod system.

Other short stroke interia guns have way less parts in them.
A simple mossberg 930 or 935 is a example

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 08/27/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Oh and just for GP..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote] Better look up the schematic for the Montefeltro shyt for brains,. There sure as hell is an inertia spring in the bolt body.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Oh and just for GP again.....

Part# 90 is the gas piston
And Part # 28 is the firing pin spring.

The gas piston and pusher rod to the bolt carrier for the interia action to cycle the bolt via the spring in the butt stock is similar in concept to many other short stroke gas piston inertia guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fun to think back on good memories of gunsmith school when you and Marco Verilli basically came up with the current M3 design.

Kudos.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Old style Browning A5.

No doubt. The Browning Auto 5 is my favorite, so happens it’s Belgian made.

Got a few friends that guide Duck hunts in Mexico. They say, hands down, the Beretta’s run in perpetual motion. They defy all odds. And, we’re talking hunts with loaders. They take the gun, hand the hunter another & load by the time the gun is handed back to them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had real good luck with every beretta gas gun I've ever owned. Had a SKB model 1300 that was an excellent gas operated setup. A gunsmith who sold me my first beretta, an A303 strongly recommended I only use 1-1/8 oz or greater lead shot in any gas semi auto for reliable pressure for the system. From that point on that's what I've done and never had any issues....

Bought my first benelli a few years ago.....monefeltro....I need to take that thing bird hunting one day.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fun to think back on good memories of gunsmith school when you and Marco Verilli basically came up with the current M3 design.

Kudos.
I am not familiar with the m4. It appears to be a gas piston gun, not an inertia gun.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Oh and just for GP..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Better look up the schematic for the Montefeltro shyt for brains,. There sure as hell is an inertia spring in the bolt body.[/quote]

We were talking about the M4.
And fighting shotguns
Not hunting shotguns
And you jumped in the conversation.

Now you want to throw in a different model cause I embarrased you and your lack of knowledge.

Classic Blackheart......

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I’ll never own another Benelli I hated all 3 I’ve had

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Biffmalibu, Akhutr, Amos63, 14 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.