Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Sheister
How many time is this discussion going to come up on this site? And is it going to get any more ridiculous in the 500th discussion as it was in the first?

I know lots of guys who have a tough time hitting a deer at 50 yards, much less 400, but I would never tell them they should get closer.... wink

And when I'm lining up a shot- no matter if it is 125 yards or 600 yards, I don't really worry too much about what some yahoo on 24hourcampfire thinks I should be doing... but I do think about whether I can make the shot while I am setting up. Do I have a sufficient rest? Is there any obstacles in the way? What is the actual distance and what does my dope sheet say? Can I retrieve the animal from where it will drop? What will I cook for dinner?

A lot of you guys worry way too much about what others do and not enough about how you come off when spouting your "world according to me" opinions.... it's almost as if a lot of guys on this site forget that some of us hunt in different situations than you do and need different skill sets to accomplish our goal...

I'd let you in my camp Bob grin

How far do I have to practice shooting first? wink

HA! Well, lets just say a paper plate at 100... whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two types of "long range hunting" I have enjoyed a lot:

Spotting game from long distance - usually from a hillside or edge of ridge with the sun at my back - and quietly/carefully working much closer so that I can make a very sure shot.

Helping a relative, who had waited and waited for enough points to get an out of state bull elk tag in so/central CO, who had never been there, and did not have very much time to scout it. With home computer, pulled up many and various topo views of the unit to figure out best possibilities; when he got there talked to him via his sat phone and worked together to locate water and elk access patterns; sorted out best places to be at what time of day, and said "good luck". On early morning of day three he nailed a big bull at the place we decided was most likely. Seeking from 350 miles distant - long range.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Long range to me is 300 yds if a man can hit something past that the more power I have no quarrels

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dammit, a thread like this on a Monday, and I usually don’t have time through the week.
I ain’t got time to read 6 pages, so I’ll stick to my own experiences.
The vast majority of my shots in the last few years have been inside of 100 yards, maybe a few out to 200, but not many.
This is mainly because the territory where I hunt, once open farm land, is being swallowed up by brush.
There’s trails running through most of it, so if I’m not seeing something after a couple or three hours, I walk the trails and usually find one that way.
Back 25 years ago, I could see and shoot out to 6 or 7 hundred yards, and I’ve killed a few at 600 yards plus with my 7mm Rem Mag and an ought six.
The last time I did this was quite a while back. I shot a big doe way down in the hollow, 650 or so yards.
I went down there and gutted it out, put on the rope and started up the hill.
Till I got up there some 45 minutes later, I’m soaked in sweat and outta breath.
My brother was standing there leaning on a tree.
“You could come give a fellow a hand, you know” I said.
His reply was “Phuq you. I know better then to shoot them down there. Now you do too”! grin
He was right, and I’ve learned to consider the consequences of my actions before I squeeze the trigger.
When you gotta hump them out with nothing but a rope and your own muscle, you tend to start getting picky about where and when you shoot.
Once they’re on the ground they’re nothing but dead weight!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted coyotes at night with one dumb fuqk who was getting all upset over the fact I was shooting them in the head at night. I told him dead is dead this is a contest hunt and I don't want to spend all night looking for dead animals besides we're in my rig how would you like to grab you're chit walk home? Last time I hunted with that jack ass.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I refuse to take any shot under 400 yards. If I accidentally stumble into an animal closer than that, I'll sneak back until I'm at least that far away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whenever the folks start talking "should" or "shouldn't" they eventually bring in the government and get a lot more negative than they ever expected.

Let's let the individual hunters decide their own distance based on their own practice or lack there of and keep the government type people out of our sport.

By the way, what's up with the "fair chase" foolishness. Big game doesn't have a "fair chase" chance against almost any centerfire rifle round. So, you "fair chase" guys get back to throwing a spear and leave us modern hunters alone.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dassa
I refuse to take any shot under 400 yards. If I accidentally stumble into an animal closer than that, I'll sneak back until I'm at least that far away.

I was wondering if anyone was dedicated enough to his craft to do that. A lot of times it seems like we're into the "Standing Up In A Canoe" syndrome.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
IMHO, shooting an animal at 1000 yards with a rifle is more ethical than shooting an animal at 40 yards with a bow.

That's a provocative statement. I'm sensing that you have a bias towards firearms, not sure why. It's very subtle.
It's an opinion by someone that doesn't hunt but would rather be shot in the heart by a bullet than an arrow, ya know, if I had to make the decision for some odd reason.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
please define

A: long range

B: hunting

C: ethical

If we can all agree on all three definitions,

then perhaps we can have an "intelligent" discussion.
Quit with logic, assumptions are more exciting! Just scouted deer, and fished smallmouth on the John Day, you would have enjoyed the river!

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If the folks involved practice the type of shots i have no problem.

I learned to wind after moving out here 40 or so years ago but keep my shots around 300 max.

Can shoot at longer ranges but mostly shooting at coyotes.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I don't see the fascination in either long range , hunting or shooting.
As a hunter , I was taught to " stick the barrel up its ass".
I am a sheep hunter , a westerner and prone to look at great distances to find game. Finding a ram , means also means a way to make a good play on it.
I practice shooting positions, but shooting on a steep slope, when you are winded is a special challenge.
Best to get as close as you can...I don't know how this is arguable

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think every guy on here knows his limits.
Will they follow their skill set or try to prove they can shoot long range?
Also bench shooting vs in the field are two very different things.

If some guy can shoot consistently moa to 1000 yards and the bullet still has enough velocity and energy to the job. Who am I to tell that guy how to shoot.

I have friends with 5-25 x scopes that I outshoot, and I’m sure they would take that long a*s shot because they are so far zoomed in that they think they can. False hope!

Last edited by Dre; 09/20/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
For big game, I limit myself to ~3/4 second flight time on the projectile IF I have what I feel is a really good read on the wind. I feel like that's about as long as I can expect a calm/unaware animal to stand still enough for a kill shot to remain a kill shot.

Interesting.

I checked my saved trajactory charts -

30-06, 180AB, 575 yards in 0.75 seconds.
7mmMag, 160AB, 625 yards in 0.75 seconds.

To put this in perspective.

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/19/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another angle to consider is that with equipment capable of shooting further and further out, more critters are being killed, potentially. This is aside from the ethics issue and the fact that more people are out there hunting (out west at least).

That means F&G has to reduce harvest for some critters such as mule deer in other ways. Shorter seasons, seasons outside of the rut and the biggest one…fewer and fewer tags.

The hot topic these days is that it is becoming tough to get tags (most especially for mule deer, sheep and the like), so would you all support regs limiting high tech equipment or shot distances if it meant having more tags available?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by comerade
I don't see the fascination in either long range , hunting or shooting.
As a hunter , I was taught to " stick the barrel up its ass".
I am a sheep hunter , a westerner and prone to look at great distances to find game. Finding a ram , means also means a way to make a good play on it.
I practice shooting positions, but shooting on a steep slope, when you are winded is a special challenge.
Best to get as close as you can...I don't know how this is arguable

I don't know why being concerned with other's actions is anything but jealousy.

Democrat types want to force their opinions on others. Conservatives want to be left alone.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The hard and fast limits are strange. A lot of self imposed 300 yard limits.

What if it’s 303 yards, you all pass every time?

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Valsdad
please define

A: long range

B: hunting

C: ethical

If we can all agree on all three definitions,

then perhaps we can have an "intelligent" discussion.
Quit with logic, assumptions are more exciting! Just scouted deer, and fished smallmouth on the John Day, you would have enjoyed the river!

Did you post any pics in the fishing forum?

I'm still trying to find someone who knows where the smallmouth are around here.

I can't help with the logic. I have this recurring vision of a nun standing over me with a pointer ready to swing away should I forget it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All long rangers should spend a lot of time on prairie dogs with their hunting rifles

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Another angle to consider is that with equipment capable of shooting further and further out, more critters are being killed, potentially. This is aside from the ethics issue and the fact that more people are out there hunting (out west at least).

That means F&G has to reduce harvest for some critters such as mule deer in other ways. Shorter seasons, seasons outside of the rut and the biggest one…fewer and fewer tags.

The hot topic these days is that it is becoming tough to get tags (most especially for mule deer, sheep and the like), so would you all support regs limiting high tech equipment or shot distances if it meant having more tags available?
Hell yeah!

Make them all get within 100 yards if it means I have a better chance at a tag, especially a rifle tag where I live!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.