-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm into guns. I love gun pics. Show us of all these guns. You got the CDs right there. Load 'em up and let's see them.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yoder, I was thinking your CVA was a Lyman Plainsman. I had one of those in a 54 cal. as well as several TC 54's and a couple of 58's. Never liked the 50 cal as much as I did the bigger ones and I could not tell you why. I still have a bunch of my ML stuff but sold all my ML rifles a few years back. Fun to shoot but I did not like the cleaning part of it.
I did change all my guns over to shoot musket caps. They were way better than the #11 caps

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice ones !!!!

Good stuff, right there !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I did change all my guns over to shoot musket caps. They were way better than the #11 caps

That's something I'm contemplating with my Pedersoli. I've had several misfires using #11 caps. I attribute that to a little moisture getting into the drum when I swab the barrel with a liquid bore cleaner before pouring the powder. I run dry patches, but I think a little wetness stayed in the drum and got the powder that was in contact with it a bit wet and a #11 isn't enough to punch through that. I had to take the drum screw out, or the nipple off, and put a pinch of powder in the drum, then a #11 will set that off and that pinch of powder will get through to the dry powder and set off the charge. If I dry the bore thoroughly and fire off a cap or two before loading, it doesn't happen.

The Pedersoli is finicky. Until I got the .500 bullets, at least a spit patch or two was necessary to load the second bullet. The bore is hella tight. I'm hoping the .500s keep me from having to run a wetted patch down the bore before loading a second time. My Traditions Hawken never had this issue. It fired everything. The Pedersoli, everything has to be just right. I think switching to a musket cap would be a good just-in-case measure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yoder, what load are you shooting? Sorry, I missed it if you already said. Patched round balls? Looking at yours, I'm kicking myself for selling my Traditions Hawken Woodsman. It shot Hornady balls and patches so well. Now I don't have a ML that doesn't have a really fast twist.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wish I had kept my Plainsman as well, if for no other reason than I like the looks and it would look great hanging on the wall.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just a FYI. Simply swapping out to a musket nipple doesn't always do it. For one thing, musket nipples are taller and can/will change the striking surface angle of the hammer. Might need a little file/dremel work after installing the musket cap nipple so the hammer strikes the cap correctly.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LFC
Denise I see you killed you some fat wittle Nannies.....

Sweety you're the only girl I know that takes pictures of does.
I admit I don't usually take pictures of does. I have taken a few if they were something special or unusual to me though. I killed a piebald doe last season that I took pics of. Got a couple really huge old does that I felt warranted a pic. One of them dressed out at 165 lbs.. Also took a pic of the first one I ever killed with a bow and the first with crossbow. I probably should have taken more but mostly does all look the same so I haven't bothered.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't always do it. If the nipples are the same heights after installation, it will be fine. I believe the Pedersoli beryllium #11 nipples and musket nipples for this rifle are the same length. Even if its off a little, it will be fine unless there is blowback or it's noticably not hiting squarely. I'm using 80-90 grains and haven't had any blowback at all. Sometimes on a heavy charge, the hammer can get blown back to half cock, but I'm not using anything that heavy. The rifle is rated to 120 grains.

If its off enough that I have to adjust it, the drum is adjustable on this gun. I can turn the drum a little either way to line the nipple up.

I've already checked the hammer well and it is got plenty of room to accomodate a musket cap. In fact, I've placed a musket cap on the #11 nipple and fired it off. The musket cap drops right out of the hammer well. I usually have to pick the spent #11 out since it splits and fills the cup. Of course, there was a enough blow-past on a #11 nipple that a musket cap wouldn't split. The do split on my other musket cap rifle. They're pretty hot caps.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/21/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
....sold all my ML rifles a few years back. Fun to shoot but I did not like the cleaning part of it.

That's why I initially never got into muzzleloading. Then, when I ended up with this CVA and eventually shot it, I discovered that the cleaning process is really not that much of a pain at all. A 5 gallon bucket with about 6" of steaming hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap in it and 10 minutes or less. Done.

Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Yoder, what load are you shooting?

Still shooting the first load I ever tried.

I was in a hurry to see if I could actually hit anything with the gun. So instead of a fiddling with a PRB, I just bought a box of Hornady PA Conicals. I tossed 80 grains of Fffg down the hole and stomped a PA Conical on top. Ended up being nutz for accurate. Make 2 holes in a deer. It ain't broke. So I ain't fixing it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I admit I don't usually take pictures of does. I have taken a few if they were something special or unusual to me though. I killed a piebald doe last season that I took pics of. Got a couple really huge old does that I felt warranted a pic. One of them dressed out at 165 lbs.. Also took a pic of the first one I ever killed with a bow and the first with crossbow. I probably should have taken more but mostly does all look the same so I haven't bothered.

I get it. I'm a picture taker. Some aren't.

I take more pictures in spring turkey season than you could imagine. Mostly scenery, wildflowers, sunrises, etc. Dead turkeys sometimes, too.

But, truthfully...... I get more excitement from shooting a baldy on a -10 or -20 degree morning with a flintlock than I'd get shooting a nice buck with a centerfire. I think I can remember the last deer I shot with a centerfire. It was about 12 years ago. It was more like an assassination to me than it was anything else. My deer hunting is almost exclusively with a bow or a flint gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I get it. I'm a picture taker. Some aren't.

I take more pictures in spring turkey season than you could imagine. Mostly scenery, wildflowers, sunrises, etc. Dead turkeys sometimes, too.

But, truthfully...... I get more excitement from shooting a baldy on a -10 or -20 degree morning with a flintlock than I'd get shooting a nice buck with a centerfire. I think I can remember the last deer I shot with a centerfire. It was about 12 years ago. It was more like an assassination to me than it was anything else. My deer hunting is almost exclusively with a bow or a flint gun.
Yeah, I'm just not a big picture taker. I try to remember to take pics at family get togethers, Christmas, Thanksgiving etc. but have too often forgotten. I've even forgotten to take pics of a few bucks I killed over the years. It has always been most important to me to fill my freezers during hunting season. I raised six kids primarily on game meat and money was always tight enough and time short enough that there was no room for fuggin around when it came to killing deer. Whack 'em and stack 'em baby.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm into guns. I love gun pics. Show us of all these guns. You got the CDs right there. Load 'em up and let's see them.

Yea we all saw you're into shooting junk guns just nOt into killing anything with them.....

Show us a deer you killed with a muzzleloader you GlOcksucker you.....lol

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You got the CDs right there. Load 'em up and let's see them.

GlOcksucker it's easier said than done when I don't have CD slot on my computer anymore....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bugger off, cheesecake. You've always got some excuse. The people who don't disrupt threads are having a pleasant conversation.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What state you in....when I stopped deer hunting the limit here was 3 does a day for about two months.

One day during rifle season I shot 1 buck, 3 does and a coyote I never did that stunt again processing 4 deer at the same time was too much for me.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just like I figured GlOcksucker you don't have a pix because you ain't never shot anything with a muzzleloader....ha...ha....ha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's OK, Luther. We get it. No pics for us.

It's OK. We realize that muzzleloader hunting (REAL muzzleloaders. Not smokeless ones with Zeiss scopes) isn't FOR puzzies. But if you wanna come see how it's done.......maybe I'd let you watch me at work. I don't run my mouth. I just kill deer.

Oh.............by the way.............. Might wanna wear your mittens and an extra pair of wool panties. I not only take pictures of dead baldies. I take pictures of the truck dash when I go out.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever have your gloved finger freeze to the barrel of your muzzleloader that cost 5 grande ?? Or the one that cost 9 grande ?? Or does that just happen to real muzzleloader hunters who hunt real rifles ?? ANNNNNNND kill real deer.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here ya go GlOcksucker.....check out that .300 grain Hornady XTP.

Your turn

Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.