Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Job's been getting to be less fun and more of a job. Been talking to the wife. Talked to our financial guy just now and he says I can retire anytime and expect to get 120% of our monthly expenses in income.

So, baring a getting hit by an errant drone, looks like sometime early next year.

Got a trip planned to look for new diggs in the Utah/Arizona/Nevada region.

Best news I've had today.

Congratulations. I am not far behind you. Check out the Cedar City UT area. One of the more affordable places I looked over in UT and AZ. Good climate. Lots of room to roam on public land nearby. Beautiful area (not so much the town, but very close by.)

Thanks! Maybe we'll swing up there on our scouting trip.

Well we're in Vegas recovering from our whirlwind scouting mission and Cedar City looks like it's the clear winner. Wife just has to get herself squared away for some snow in the winters.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cedar is nice but it’s growing too much. I absolutely love that area though as that is where my dad’s side of the family is from and I lived there as a kid. Make sure you visit in January/February before you pull the trigger because it does get cold there.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Job's been getting to be less fun and more of a job. Been talking to the wife. Talked to our financial guy just now and he says I can retire anytime and expect to get 120% of our monthly expenses in income.

So, baring a getting hit by an errant drone, looks like sometime early next year.

Congratulations. I am not far behind you. Check out the Cedar City UT area. One of the more affordable places I looked over in UT and AZ. Good climate. Lots of room to roam on public land nearby. Beautiful area (not so much the town, but very close by.)

Thanks! Maybe we'll swing up there on our scouting trip.

Well we're in Vegas recovering from our whirlwind scouting mission and Cedar City looks like it's the clear winner. Wife just has to get herself squared away for some snow in the winters.

Hey, Cedar City doesn't sound to bad, especially compared to Yamhill County and Environs. If that's really where you end up settling, I wish you the best. Not really much snow there compared to some places, and unlike back east once they plow the roads they usually dry out quickly.

Will you be takin' the bees? grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Maybe not the specific ones I have now.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Enjoy it Steve....

hope you love where you are going to move to....

hate to see Oregon lose one of the good residents.. when we have a whole bunch of people, that moved here and vote democRAT...

wish they would all go back to California... the conservative CA refugees are welcome here in my book...

all the Best in your new venture...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations. Stay healthy and enjoy it.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Enjoy your job while you can, because you will miss it.
Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be. It is boring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, very happy for you! We are still setting up housekeeping at our new retirement digs here in TN. I’m very glad we went when we did, not so thrilled that the economy (FJB!) decided to really tank as hard as it is now. This house in TN will be fully paid for in another 10 months, and that will increase our income stream by 19k a year, and I’ll hit the age to draw SSA about half a year after that. We’ll be more than fine then, but we are trying to live totally on my retired Navy Chiefs pension without dipping into our tanking 401s and IRAs, this is the first time in a long time we are having to watch every penny, but I do think we can slip past this tight spot in the road. Hopefully things will settle down soon, but who knows? I know at least that you and your money guy have seen this landscape and figured all this crap in (all this crap so far, anyway.) Enjoy this new chapter!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
December 16th is my last day working for the County. I've had enough.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I retired in 1997. Retirement is the best job I have ever had.

IC B3

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lisa's was a graphic artist in her professional life. So their art museum and college art program is really appealing to her. That's making up for the cold weather.

I like that it's more rural (besides being a college town) and outdoor (hunting/hiking) activities are easier.

Lisa likes to snow shoe so that's nice for her, too,

Better options for property there too. You'd think getting a 1+ acre lot would be easier in Mesquite or St. George, but their pretty scarce and expensive.

Got to work the numbers but it's looking promising.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, I too would choose CC over St. George and Mesquite. It will take you a long time to just explore the cool places w/in an 100 mile radius. Utah claims to have the world's best snow! Enjoygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Enjoy your job while you can, because you will miss it.
Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be. It is boring.
Been retired 5 years now.

Haven't been bored one day that I can recall.

Just picked up an older 48" riding mower today that needs a couple of things fixed. One less thing to be bored about.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Maybe not the specific ones I have now.
I figured.

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats.......best job ever

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You won’t regret it.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Simonkenton7: Your quote = "Enjoy your job while you can, because you will miss it.
Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be. It is boring".

I could NOT disagree with you more!
Retirement has been the absolute best, most enjoyable, most stress free, most rewarding 25+ years of my life!
I am tempted to say you are doing something wrong - but that does NOT begin to cover it.
YOU are doing a LOT of things wrong if you are not thrilled and fulfilled to be retired!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
After 38 years of all the twists and turns in my career I'm finally retiring on September 30th, 2022. Mixed emotions for sure. But I have to say its been good overall and I'm looking forward to a new beginning. Can't wait to get to the range mid-week and have the place to myself. Going fishing for sure; just don't know where yet. Going to do some travel and see old friends all over the USA. Going to do some hunting; don't know where yet but its going to be a fun project planning trips, etc. Can't wait to concentrate more and more on my reloading and cranking out even better and more ammo. That is, of course, if I can find more primers. LOL!!! Notwithstanding everything, I look with great anticipation to be free to do what I want to do when I want to do it without worrying about Monday morning coming around. Peace. Out....

If you do what you've always done, then you will get what you've always got.
Carpe Diem,
bgcatty
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats. Hoping for may-june next year, market dip is making me hang on just a bit longer but I'll only be 65 1/2.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Good on you, Steve. Best of luck on getting the heck out of Ory-gone.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (673, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 28 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,081
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.