24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
I just discovered that I can multi-quote. Stinking newbies...

Originally Posted by aboltfan
Here is a link to a Campfire article on modern loads with the Whelen.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13617368/1
Thank you - I have some more reading to do.

Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by okie john
...I've gotten a 225-grain Sierra Game King just under 2,700 fps...

...and I missed your load data that says .358 225gr at 2700 @ .384 G1 should get me out beyond 575.

And you're getting 1.5 moa with a 1:16?

Yes, I am. 61.4 grains of TAC. Per the Federal Ballistics calculator, it should be going just over 1,800 fps at 400, with 1650 fpe.

Originally Posted by Gaschekt
A 200gr TTSX at 2900fps is the flatest shooting load I've developed for the Whelen, but I haven't used it in the fields yet

I'm getting the impression that:
- the factory Whelen loadings are leaving quite a bit on the table.
- internet commandos (& gunwriters?) aren't giving the Whelen its due.

BP-B2

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by wildone
I know the op said no super hot rods but the 358 STA would have some cool factor here too with that 200 grainer in a 14 twist at 3250 or down load to 2950 and keep the 12 twist.

Cool factor & nostalgia are why the .375 H&H is on the list in the first place. A .358 Norma or STW would fill the same slot if the right rifle presented itself too.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260
I had a range trip planned this morning, so I took my 35 Whelen. After zeroing a 308 and testing seating depths with a 30-06, I pulled out the Whelen and shot a group for you.

This rifle is zeroed to keep the bullet within an inch of line of sight, which turns out to be about 140 yards for this load. Drop at 200 yards is just shy of three inches, and the group is 1.24 MOA per the BallisticX app.

Vertical dispersion is acceptable. There was no wind and I wasn't using a rear bag, so the horizontal dispersion is on me.

Let me know if you have questions.


Okie John

Attached Images
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.46.00 AM.png (10.49 KB, 324 downloads)

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260


Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,260
Originally Posted by tbird86
I'm getting the impression that:
- the factory Whelen loadings are leaving quite a bit on the table.
- internet commandos (& gunwriters?) aren't giving the Whelen its due.

You're right.

Factory Whelen loads have to allow for all of the badly-converted rifles that have piled up over the years, and for actions like the low-numbered Springfield, 1895 Winchester, or some of the earlier Mausers that could be problematic with 60k psi loads. Current loads are more powerful but still on the cautious side.

Lots of people think that nothing has changed since Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith typed their last words, and that just isn't the case. We live in a Golden Age of powder and bullet technology. Levels of power and accuracy that were once out of the question are now common, and it's all perfectly safe.


Okie John


Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC-A B3

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,056
N
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,056
Go to Hodgdon’s or Nosler’s website for current loads. In my three Whelens, I’ve gravitated toward H4895 for accuracy and temp stability but I need to investigate CFE 223.

I sight in to put Whelen loads about 2 1/2” high at 100.

You may find you run out of shoulder before you reach the top end. 😊

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/30/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,025
C
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,025
How about a .378 Weatherby?



Mathew 22: 37-39

Happy escapee from NY

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by cra1948
How about a .378 Weatherby?
Originally Posted by navlav8r
You may find you run out of shoulder before you reach the top end. 😊
Correlation?

This certainly isn't going to be a range-blaster, and fortunately (?) I usually hunt 2nd season, so I'm wearing plenty of extra layers in mid-December -- but it's something that I'm trying to keep in mind.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 15,420
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 15,420
I just loaded up some .358 Whelen ammo for a buddy who is going to hunt deer in central Iowa.

kwg


For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR American conservative. Iowa chapter. Stolen elections have consequences.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,025
C
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,025
Yeah, seems like .378 Weatherby would be just the nuts for a LR deer rifle where you're not allowed bottleneck cartridges under .35 caliber (for what reason I'm not sure???) Best of all, several choices of Weatherby factory ammo for less than $10.00 a round.



Mathew 22: 37-39

Happy escapee from NY

IC-B B4

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,373
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,373
.375 250 TTSX has a BC of .424 and will go ~2800 FPS from a .375 H&H. For a well known "long-range" entity, the .375/250 @ 2800 will have a trajectory very similar to a 308Win w/168gn Sierra Match King. They're almost exactly the same drop @ 600yds and the 250 TTSX will drift about 2.75" more @ 600 < 1/2MOA wind drift difference between the two.

Food for thought.


I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 140
M
Campfire Member
Offline
Campfire Member
M
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 140
I’ve built several 358 WSM’s for the IA regs and 200gr at 3000+ is pretty good performance.


Shoot straight, shoot often
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 423
G
Campfire Member
Offline
Campfire Member
G
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 423
Or a 35 Whelen with a 200gr at 2900 fps. Data for this load can be found on the Nosler Load Data site. IMR-8208 XBR is excellent fuel.

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by cra1948
Yeah, seems like .378 Weatherby would be just the nuts for a LR deer rifle where you're not allowed bottleneck cartridges under .35 caliber (for what reason I'm not sure???) Best of all, several choices of Weatherby factory ammo for less than $10.00 a round.
Eek.

I think I got some of that dripping sarcasm on me :P

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by okie john
Factory Whelen loads have to allow for all of the badly-converted rifles that have piled up over the years, and for actions like the low-numbered Springfield, 1895 Winchester, or some of the earlier Mausers that could be problematic with 60k psi loads. Current loads are more powerful but still on the cautious side.

Lots of people think that nothing has changed since Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith typed their last words, and that just isn't the case. We live in a Golden Age of powder and bullet technology. Levels of power and accuracy that were once out of the question are now common, and it's all perfectly safe.
Originally Posted by kwg020
I just loaded up some .358 Whelen ammo for a buddy who is going to hunt deer in central Iowa.
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Or a 35 Whelen with a 200gr at 2900 fps. Data for this load can be found on the Nosler Load Data site. IMR-8208 XBR is excellent fuel.
I have been leaning toward the 9.3x62 due to the PPU on the current market at less than $2/rd, but you guys are making my wife happy -- she likes the idea of the Whelen for a big rifle for whalin' on game. It always helps to have her on board for "yet ANOTHER rifle."

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by horse1
.375 250 TTSX has a BC of .424 and will go ~2800 FPS from a .375 H&H. For a well known "long-range" entity, the .375/250 @ 2800 will have a trajectory very similar to a 308Win w/168gn Sierra Match King. They're almost exactly the same drop @ 600yds and the 250 TTSX will drift about 2.75" more @ 600 < 1/2MOA wind drift difference between the two.

Food for thought.
It's certainly tempting. Any idea where I could start looking for a rifle well south of $1,000?

Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by msalm
I’ve built several 358 WSM’s for the IA regs and 200gr at 3000+ is pretty good performance.
The internet says WSMs have poor feeding habits - what's your experience been?

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,264
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,264
35 Whelen is legal in ioway but 375 Weatherby I don't think so.


" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
T
tbird86 Online Content OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Joined: Sep 2022
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
35 Whelen is legal in ioway but 375 Weatherby I don't think so.
What about the Weatherby doesn't follow the "straight-walled or other cartridge over .357" rule?

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,505
L
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,505
This from Iowa DNR website....
Legal firearms for the youth/disabled and shotgun 1 and 2 seasons include:

Pistols and revolvers (with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches)
Straight-wall and "necked-down" cartridge rifles shooting an expanding type bullet of at least .350 inches and no greater than .500 inches with at least 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W.

If you’re not sure if your cartridge is allowed, please check with your local DNR conservation officer.



All of them, as long as they have a bullet diameter between 0.350 inches and 0.500 inches.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV-TRX
Who's Online Now
665 members (16penny, 1badf350, 2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3-22

UDG-IP


 







Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.060s Queries: 16 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9658 MB (Peak: 1.1304 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-12-05 14:21:35 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS