Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
OP Offline
S
Found a 221 fireball at a pawn shop. Is there any use for this caliber.

It is a cz and I love their rifles but I have a 22 hornet and a 223 already.

Is it hard to load for?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Not sure I want to spend the $$$$

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
IMO, it's one of the most enjoyable 22 cal centerfire cartridges! In my CZ 527 with 40 grain poly-tip bullets it is devastating on ground burrowing rodents. And for fans of the CZ 527 rifles, it is one of the most desirable and rare chamberings. In my experience, it's very easy to load for and uses much less powder than the 17 Rem, 222 Rem, 223 Rem or 204 rounds.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I say buy it. That is one of my next cartridges. I have a 22K Hornet and I bought it at a time where it was between it or a 221 Fireball. I decided on the KHNT for the novelty or rare factor. It’s a great rifle (Cooper)and I love it, but something tells me the Fireball would be better. I think it’s something about the bottle shaped brass and doesn’t need to be fire formed that’s attractive to me. I bought it with the idea of having a 22 cal capable of shooting the 40 grain 3000fps and something I can shoot a lot of since it’s cheap to shoot in the big picture. The fireball has all of those things.

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 11/05/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great cartridge ! Very well balanced

Brass may be scarce from time to time

Really good selection of dies...

Lapua builds brass.....or they did

Only thing better with the same case is the 20 Vartarg (20-221)

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Another positive about it versus the Hornet is that it’s more comfortable to reload than it. The Hornet cases are microscopic enough as it is, and the Fireball is just a little easier to grasp.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I love shooting my 700. It’s probably my most accurate sporter and is right on the heels of the 222. I use 40 grain bullets mostly with IMR 4227.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've always wanted one. Not sure what kind of shooting you do, but I do some high volume ground squirrel shooting some days... 100 shots in a day are not uncommon. I could save on a ton of powder with a 221.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
About 19g of Reloader 7 and a 40g Nosler BT with a CCI BR4. Sit back and enjoy the show. It's that easy.

I love model 700s and owned a couple of the 221 fb model 700s (an LVSF, and an LS) but the only 221 I'd consider is the 527.

Get the CZ, You won't regret it. And your hornet will start collecting dust.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's good advice. I have a LH 527 that I'm going to have rechambered or rebarreled to 221.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have one in a 10” contender barrel and love it. Easy to find a load, I use the 35gr. V-max over Lil’ gun in Lapua brass for right at 3000. It is accurate enough to let me know how I’m shooting that day. If I miss, it’s me. I’d snag the gun in a heartbeat.

Old70

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
IMO, it's one of the most enjoyable 22 cal centerfire cartridges! In my CZ 527 with 40 grain poly-tip bullets it is devastating on ground burrowing rodents. And for fans of the CZ 527 rifles, it is one of the most desirable and rare chamberings. In my experience, it's very easy to load for and uses much less powder than the 17 Rem, 222 Rem, 223 Rem or 204 rounds.
This

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ky221
About 19g of Reloader 7 and a 40g Nosler BT with a CCI BR4. Sit back and enjoy the show. It's that easy.

That just flat works.

LOL
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Like many here I like the .221 FB. Has a slower twist rate so you may wish to reload 55grain & less. Would not want to shoot this rifle if I had to buy factory ammo due to cost & availability.

Mind if I inquire on the asking price?

Last edited by Hunterapp; 11/06/22.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skeet330

Is it hard to load for?

Buy it. You will end up loving it and you will send your 22 Hornet down the road.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Ky221

That just flat works.

Roy,

do you make your own 221 FB brass out of 223 cases?

I necked down one last night in a 221 Body die and just need to trim the neck down...

I ask, because if so, I may look at doing that, to neck that down into the 17 Fireball case...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Skeet330: BUY IT!
I love the 221 Remington Fireball cartridge - it IS "inherently accurate", very efficient, very easy on barrels.
And it does VERY well in the Colony Varmint and predator fields.
I have a pair of Varmint Rifles in 221 Remington Fireball and both shoot VERY well.
All of my friends that have bought and built Varmint type Rifles in caliber 221 Fireball over the decades easily obtained good accuracy.
I have even owned a few 221 Remington Fireball pistols.
Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The fireball is fun, have 2 of them

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah. Buy it. I spent 2 summers with 700 LVSF in .221. It's basically a .22 Hornet on serious steroids or a properly downloaded .223. I shot 40 grain ballistic tips and 40 grain vmax for the most part, with RL7, IMR 4198, and AA1680. The easiest combination was possibly the least accurate, 1680+ 40 grain VMAX, but it was still solidly sub half inch which was .. y'know, "good enough." If I wanted to take the time to weigh charges of IMR 4198 and use the 40 grain ballistic tips, it wasn't merely a matter of shooting squirrels in the eye at 100 yards but choosing which part of the eyeball to hit. Scary accurate.

I was going to say that's one gun I wish I had back but the truth is the .17 Fireball was in the same game. Just amazing little cartridges. They perform well above their weight class .. accuracy often does that. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
221 fireballs are terrible. Where exactly is those you’ve found???

I’ve got a 700 classic in 221. LOVE that thing. Shoots tiny groups and you can shoot it a bunch before you have to let it cool down in a good dog town. I’ve been using 50BT’s and H322 in mine… not the fastest load but when it shoots in the .3-.5” range I don’t mind. Worked up a new load this spring right before we left for our pdog shoot using 40gr vmax and CFEBLK (I think) that shot just as well but considerably faster. I’ll try that load next time out. I always wanted to take it out calling coyotes but never got around to it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Benbo: Indeed the 221 Remington Fireball performs like "a champion" in the Colony Varmint fields!
I have done well with my 221 Fireball Rifles Hunting Ground Squirrels, Prairie Dogs and Rock Chucks.
My first 221 Remington Fireball Rifle was/is a Kimber of Oregon "Ultra-Varmint" with 24" heavy stainless factory barrel.
With Berger 40 grain H/P bullets it consistently shoots in the low 4's.
It has a Leupold straight 12 power A/O scope on it and from time to time I consider adding a lot more scope power to it just to see how well it could shoot.
Get after them Coyotes there are lots of them out there - I saw three yesterday driving along the freeway between Dillon, Montana and Melrose, Montana.
Long live the 221 Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
221 Fireball is like 223 Rem, just a complete sleeper that rewards a good handloader with excellence. I have one, a dumpster special made out of a set-back barrel on a cheapie action. I wasn't interested until Lil Gun happened, and still, I didn't want to sink too much into trying it.

Well, my goodness, what a joy to work with and shoot. Get the dang thing. What it does with 35s and 40s is all you could ever ask for.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why the gun makers are not flooding the market with the Fireball is beyond my other than $$$. I have an XP100 and wish I had the rifle to go along with it. 45 grain bullets with a tad bit of powder and you have the almost perfect small caliber center fire firearm. It's a blast.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/14/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like the basic case but I just prefer to neck it down to 20. As in VarTrag.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just buy the rifle You'll love it.

MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Save the money. Brass is expensive. Load your 223 to 221 data .

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LV Hunter: These days what Rifle brass is NOT expensive???
In my experience with careful handloading the 221 Remington Fireball brass has a VERY, VERY long lifespan!
I wonder if Skeet330 ever bought that CZ Rifle in caliber 221 Remington Fireball?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had one in a Sako Vixon action and loved it. It is the only rifle I have ever owned that I can truly say that I shot the barrel out on (that is a LOT of shooting). Like a dumb butt I sold it and wish I still had it. I did buy another one in a Remington 700 LVSF but could not warm up to the bigger action. There was something about that little Vixon that pulls at my heart strings.
It has been many years ago now but I think I was using 40 gr bullets and 2400 powder.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Vixen will be off for a new .221 FB barrel right after New Years.
Having trouble finding brass, but did score 13 boxes of Nosler ammo at a local gunshow a couple weeks ago. Between that and some reformed .223, I should be fine for a while.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rear fun is making it a 17 fireball. Chop the barrel to 18 inches. Add a suppressor. Load it with 20 grain vmaxes @4100+. They will explode starlings in to feather puffs and small meat chunks. Recoil is pretty much about like a springer BB gun. But it’s varmint capable to 350+. My cz527 in 17 fireball is my all time favorite rifle to shoot. It’s retired most of my rimfire even.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cumminscowboy: I share your excitement over the 17 Remington Fireball and have for a very long time!
Back in 1994 I had a well known bench rest Riflesmith put together a custom, heavy barrel (Shilen stainless steel 26 1/2" long!) Rifle in caliber 17 MachIV (the twin of the later to be factory offered 17 Remington Fireball).
This Rifle was/is so amazingly accurate (weighs 11 pounds 4 ounces) that I have killed Prairie Dogs and Rock Chucks with it to 500 yards. My preferred bullet for this Rifle is the wonderfully accurate and wonderfully lethal Berger 25 grainers.
Then in 2,007 when Remington first brought out the 17 Remington Fireball I bought a new Remington 700 VSF (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) in this caliber.
It came out of the box shooting factory ammo into 1/2" and less groups (five shots at 100 yards)! I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 variable scope on this rig.
I am constantly impressed with the accuracy, performance and lethality of this diminutive cartridge.
Over on the Powder River a couple years ago I killed an adult Coyote with one shot from this 17 Fireball at a laser ranged 410 yards. That Coyote had "hung-up" and would not come any closer - it sat down on its haunches and yipped at us. I was hesitant to try a shot at that range on that large a Varmint but its what I had along and it was my shot.
Crack... dead right there.
My 700 VSF uses/prefers the Berger 25 grainers as well.
To my point, I think your "350 yard capable" estimate for Varmints is selling the 17 Remington Fireball a bit short.
Long live the 221 Fireball "family" of cartridges.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

You are a Lying Piece Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Dangle a pic of said wares and muse how you arrange POA/POI,in your Delusional Day Dreams. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Love the Fireballs. Have a CZ 527 in 221fb that was probably the most accurate rifle I had shooting factory ammo. It, unfortunately, doesn’t get much use these days since I picked up a Remington M7 Predator in 17fb. The Fireballs are just fun to shoot. IMHO. Dave

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Dangle a pic of said wares

No problem.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J Sipp & Son Custom Sako, 221 Fireball

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by geedubya

No problem.........

ya!

GWB

Glenn,

Stumpy ain't going to be impressed with those...

1.Not camo'ed with his daughter's teen era nail polish...
2. No rust on the barrel, action or scope mounts, like his has
3. No shortened barrel, courtesy of a hack saw...
4. Too conservative looking in nice shape no less..

5. Tip: If you want to impress Schtick, think things looking like you'd find them in the Grinche's House Trailer... Rusty, beat to crap, not maintained, covered in rust from being cleaned in the creek with a brillo pad.. rifle laying next to a dead shot fish....in the water...

Happy New Year down there in Texas my friend...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Stumpy ain't going to be impressed with those...

1.Not camo'ed with his daughter's teen era nail polish...
2. No rust on the barrel, action or scope mounts, like his has
3. No shortened barrel, courtesy of a hack saw...
4. Too conservative looking in nice shape no less..

5. Tip: If you want to impress Schtick, think things looking like you'd find them in the Grinche's House Trailer... Rusty, beat to crap, not maintained, covered in rust from being cleaned in the creek with a brillo pad.. rifle laying next to a dead shot fish....in the water...

Happy New Year down there in Texas my friend...

Back at ya!

BTW, not so much to impress.

Figured since this thread had already been stepped on..................

ya!

GWB

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
small twig: You don't even know what you are cursing about do you?
Go back under your rock... PLEASE!
And stay there.
Or go throw another gun in a river you stupid ass.
He-he.
Laughing, at small twig so often anymore, is getting boring.
You have to feel sorry for such a small man!
Oh well - takes all kinds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

What were the "odds" of your being a CLUELESS Fhuqk and a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You "forgot" about your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore,yet again. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
And stay there.
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

He laughs cause of the few he has hoodwinked into believe he actually has any credibility whatsoever.

A mere fart in a duststorm.

Best advice given is when there is silence on his two week benders when he can't see the screen on the basement clickety clack.

New year big shtick, time to throw more money at the moderator so he can continue to look the other way and kiss your ass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchagain,

Keep extolling your countless very WELL founded Insecurities,as you reiterate that how besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you too also just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What do you "do" for a "living",which mandate your Whining Brokedicktitude? Been a couple days,since a new rifle landed here. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying though.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Skeet330

Is it hard to load for?

Buy it, you'll like it and the Hornet will likely become real boring to you. My .221's are both on small Sako actions and feed perfectly. The Fireball, a junior version of the .233 will surprise you. Very effective with 40's at 3450 on everything from groundsquirrels to rockcchucks, badgers, skunks, crows, even a coyote. Barrels last a long time. The 33gr. VMax which is avaliable has terrible BC but works fine on pd's out to not real far. I can't speak for brass availability now. I've used Rem. for years with no problems, but have a bunch of Lapua, IMI, and LC .223 formed to 221 and 17MIV, but not yet finished. A bit of work but worth it I think.....cases can be made to fit the chamber better. For varmints the .221 will become a favorite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Little dikk have you ever owned a 17? Crank the projectiles to 4100 + fps and watch twit birds explode, see hydrostatic shock on a boiler room hit on a coyote. No recoil, no blast, it’s magic. 17 fireball suppressed retires every rimfire. Make the 17hmr obsolete. Makes the rest boring. A puff of feathers wafting through the breeze. Hint. It’s cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cumsincowboys,

You are in soooooo fhuqking far over your pointy head,it's a shame you haven't the 17 IQ Points requisite,to have an inklling...you "lucky" Kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Lilja MR,TT,Outlander,bushed bolt,yada,yada,yada. "Luckily" you "get" to read about it,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Dangle some pics of "your" wares,for even more oblivious HILARITY. Dare ya'! Hint.

As an aside,how many times a day do you think about me,what are the duration(s) of same and what am I wearing? HINT.

Pass the 223AI and hold The Fluff. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya

No problem.........

ya!

GWB

That's beautiful. But....it's not rusty and on gravel, in water, with a dead fish and dinky fishing rod. And polka dots would make it even more like a real gun. Yeah

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ackmam,

Keep extolling your amazingly long list of very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same with wares that exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Receiver is on it's 3rd spout. Mike Rock 1-7" 223AI contour dupe,with shortened shank at 21". 75'Max at 3150fps. LW's Puked and Reupold Puked,though unfortunately,not at the same time. Hint.

You Melting Snowflakes are a "rugged" lot! HINT.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

17 Mach IV, 221 Fireball, 20 VarTarg

of the three, the VarTarg is my fav.

ya!

GWB

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
But you missed the beer bottle cap with all 10 shots.

Somebody was bound to say it laugh

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by drover
But you missed the beer bottle cap with all 10 shots.

Somebody was bound to say it laugh

drover

What can I say, a shot not taken is as good as a miss!

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ackmam,

Keep extolling your amazingly long list of very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same with wares that exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Receiver is on it's 3rd spout. Mike Rock 1-7" 223AI contour dupe,with shortened shank at 21". 75'Max at 3150fps. LW's Puked and Reupold Puked,though unfortunately,not at the same time. Hint.

You Melting Snowflakes are a "rugged" lot! HINT.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

there ya go...

1. Rifle stock camo'ed with daughters Nail Polish
2. Rifle in water with dead fish.
3. Scope rings, scope , barrel and action covered in rust...

from the guy who spends all of his time trying to convince everyone what a hero he is...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
And stay there.
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

you got Schtick ALL Wrong!

Best entertainment value of the www...

Tries incessantly to IMPRESS everyone else of what a genius he is, and just needs his two working brain cells to do so...

Schtick is where the saying " A Legend in his own mind" came from... He takes it as a compliment...

By the way.. Happy New Year Stumpy....all the best to you....
Enjoy your Alpo "Corn Beef Hash" Su-fflay tonight...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know where the name for the 221 came from....

Schtick....that's where...

he was getting drunk, and spilling rum all over his crotch on the couch watching TV...

then was lighting his bong, and accidently dropped it over his crotch....

And that is where the term Fireballs originated...

True Story!

I read it in the Anchorage News Paper... Research it in their archives.. the article was Titled " Little Short Dork, Sets Balls on Fire on Prince of Wales Island"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Simply cite how many times a day,you think about me and the duration(s) of same,as you extoll your Toxicology Report...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,you Delusional Whack Ball Fhuqk.

Though don't "forget" about your Opiate Addled "stance",with Imaginary Pretend Ignore. Hint.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ya know where the name for the 221 came from....

Schtick....that's where...

he was getting drunk, and spilling rum all over his crotch on the couch watching TV...

then was lighting his bong, and accidently dropped it over his crotch....

And that is where the term Fireballs originated...

True Story!

I read it in the Anchorage News Paper... Research it in their archives.. the article was Titled " Little Short Dork, Sets Balls on Fire on Prince of Wales Island"

Damn, his one big accomplishment, other than felling that 28" tree with a 24" Homelite.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gals should combine "forces",so as to bolster the amount of time you fixate my genitals...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Simply pardon the ease,in which I accomplish that which is IMPOSSIBLE,for you and your "abilities". You Melting Snowflakes are a "rugged" lot! Hint.

Fortunately for you Crying Kchunts,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you gals can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Happy New Year Stumpy....

Hope it is a great year for you.. and congrats on making it thru another one... without blowing yourself up or burning down the double wide...

May you find peace and joy thru out the new year...

and your genitals Stumpy.. I'm sure they mirror your two working brain cells.. ya must think of us, hoping we are thinking of you, as you choke your gopher half a dozen times a day...

that is probably how you lube the bolts on your rifles...

Ain't easy being Schtick, is it?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I agree with you "its not easy" being a small man syndrome, egotistical, profane, Napoleon Complexed, nit-wit like small twig.
The dufus now known as "schtick" or "small twig" is good for exactly ONE thing - and that is to laugh at!
Not to laugh with, but to laugh at!
He-he.
Heres laughing at you small twig.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both you Delusional Dumbfhuqks KNOW better than to dangle a pic of your own and your outright Lying Fhuqking STUPIDITY,is plum fhuqking amazing...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Homoerotic thoughts and trying not to schit your own pants,CONSUME your day(s). Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

V
V
Does anyone have a 700 LVSF for sale or trade?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a N.O.S. XP-100 .221 in a small town hardware store somewhere around 1989 or 1990. Put a 6X Tasco (Jap) 30mm Pro Class A.O. on it and played around some.

I'd have to dig up my notes. But loaded Hornady 52 gr. HPBTM over 4198 and went and shot deer with it. The match bullet held together well for poking them in the ribs and they died without fanfare. Shot some groundhogs out to around 300. The match bullets weren't great for groundhogs. Didn't always open. But, in the right hands (not mine) it'd go 5 shots under an inch at 100. It's been in the safe, and not shot in about 15 years.

It'd have to be pretty fun in a compact rifle.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've had L461 Vixens in 221, 222, and 223. The 221 was a nice idea but not worth it after the honeymoon. Furthermore, they are not quiet! A 223 with a mild but full power, or a Blue Dot load turned out to be much more practical and satisfying, but then again, I'm not wanting to have a large collection of rifles that require diagnosis to get them to shoot their best. In my view, Blue Dot in a 223 made the Hornet and 221 unnecessary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MaxwellCreek
Furthermore, they are not quiet!

DEFINITELY not in an XP-100 !!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've had L461 Vixens in 221, 222, and 223. The 221 was a nice idea but not worth it after the honeymoon. Furthermore, they are not quiet! A 223 with a mild but full power, or a Blue Dot load turned out to be much more practical and satisfying, but then again, I'm not wanting to have a large collection of rifles that require diagnosis to get them to shoot their best. In my view, Blue Dot in a 223 made the Hornet and 221 unnecessary.

I'd stay away from those Blue Dot loads....

As many folks around here will tell ya " you'll shoot your eye out kid!" Ask Ralphie...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd stay away from those Blue Dot loads....

As many folks around here will tell ya " you'll shoot your eye out kid!" Ask Ralphie...

laugh
I just started reading about the Blue Dot loads recently, and it's made me change my direction. I was going to rebarrel my sako vixen to. 221, but now I'm just going to stick with. 223's.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[/quote]

laugh
I just started reading about the Blue Dot loads recently, and it's made me change my direction. I was going to rebarrel my sako vixen to. 221, but now I'm just going to stick with. 223's.[/quote]

No regrets. Can't believe how long the barrel stays cool with Blue Dot. Also, if you are lucky, the full power loads will be on at 200 yds and the reduced loads more or less on at 100.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's kind of funny to see my first impression of Blue Dot in 223 verified 20 years later. I was thinking "hot Hornet" and decided right then and there I didn't need a Hornet or K with Blue Dot.
And the 221 sort of does the same thing, with Lil Gun it's a snarling hot Hornet or a real nice regular (Blue Dot) Hornet without the brass issues or the rim. But what a nice sleeper of a cartridge to work with, right?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I hope he bought the stupid thing.

Did he?

I have 5 I think. Yep...5.

I could use a few more.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by LV_Hunter
Save the money. Brass is expensive. Load your 223 to 221 data .

Invest a few bucks in a Redding form die and make use of all the free FC military brass filling range used brass buckets.

A bit of work but I find it enjoyable and the resulting brass is of very high quality. I start with cleaned and annealed brass sorted by date stamp and weight and run them through the form die, lopping off the excess with a hacksaw and trimming on my Wilson trimmer. I don't think it is really necessary unless you have a very tight neck in your rifle but I put in a bit of extra effort and very lightly turn the necks, debur flash holes, clean up primer pockets and then anneal and clean again before loading.

Has resulted in very high quality brass that my Fireball really seems to like.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim Conrad: If you don't mind my asking which brands and models of 221 Fireball Rifles are in your arsenal.
I have two - one is a very accurate Remington 700 Classic and the other is a Kimber of Oregon heavy barrel "Ultra-Varmint" which is also VERY accurate.
I think the 221 Remington Fireball is an "inherently accurate" cartridge!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.