Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I was putting together a few 260 Remington loads and dispensing Ramshot Hunter out of my Uniflow. I then weigh each charge on my RCBS ChargeMaster scale to verify the charge weight. On the last case I had forgot to move the powder funnel to the next case and double charged the case. No big deal I’ll just dump it back in the Uniflow and drop another charge into the pan. The only problem was that I dumped the Ramshot Hunter powder into my ChargeMaster hopper with about 1/2 pound of H4350 in it.

With the H4350 being stick powder and the Hunter being a ball powder I figured it wouldn’t be too hard to separate. I ran to the store and bought a piece of the finest mesh I could find to use as a sifter. After sifting the mixed powder several times I separated out 86 grains of the 90 grains of the mixed in Hunter powder.

Would I have any problem using the 1/2 pound of H4350 with the possibility of 3 grains of Ramshot Hunter mixed in?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't think you'd notice it if you put all 4 grains of Hunter lost in the 4350 in one case, balance 4350, and shot it next to a case charged with 4350.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
3 grains is not going to hurt anything. However, I don't know why you went from the uni flow to the chargemaster to weigh each powder charge. Hunter powder drops like water out of my uni flow. All you need to do is get the uni flow set to drop the proper charge weight and rock on. Your system is flawed and if you would have been doing it properly, that would not have happened.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks HuntnShoot, I didn’t think it would hurt anything but just wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
3 grains is not going to hurt anything. However, I don't know why you went from the uni flow to the chargemaster to weigh each powder charge. Hunter powder drops like water out of my uni flow. All you need to do is get the uni flow set to drop the proper charge weight and rock on. Your system is flawed and if you would have been doing it properly, that would not have happened.

You are correct, the Hunter does meter like water and it throws each charge on the money each time. I maybe a little OCD but my system is not flawed. It’s just the way I like to properly do things when I reload and have done so for the last 45 years.

Last edited by Houser52; 12/05/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Gotta agree with bsa. If you have two powders on the bench at the same time, your system is flawed. Plus I never leave powder in the hopper. When I’m done loading, the powder goes back in the can.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As the others have stated, you will be fine. Stuff happens...I'm currently shooting up a lb of Varget mixed with about a 1/4 lb of H4895.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Gotta agree with bsa. If you have two powders on the bench at the same time, your system is flawed. Plus I never leave powder in the hopper. When I’m done loading, the powder goes back in the can.

Dale

Yep, this^^. ChargeMaster gets emptied and powder put away before I move on to anything else. He was asking for trouble.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Dale

Ditto.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ok guys point taken. Only one powder on the bench at a time. Thanks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Houser52
Oh no, you aren't getting away that easily!

If you don't do things the way I do, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Lol. I’ve been on forum long enough and learned to not talk back.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Lol. I’ve been on forum long enough and learned to not talk back.
Smart man. Smarter than I am, anyway.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Houser52: Dang more human error on display - done worse myself.
Yeah shake that can up and use it - I say.
The price (and availability!) of powders these days I would use it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paying attention, and not being on cruise control at the load bench, pays a lot of dividends....

rule number one I chose for myself... ONE powder on the bench at a time.....and one caliber/cartridge at a time, even if I am using the same powder...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Paying attention, and not being on cruise control at the load bench, pays a lot of dividends....

rule number one I chose for myself... ONE powder on the bench at a time.....and one caliber/cartridge at a time, even if I am using the same powder...

I follow this rule as well. I also label my dispensers with what powder is in them and set the cannister next to it.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another good reason to keep your powder put away as soon as you're finished with it, sitting in a hopper it will absorb moisture and weigh slightly more.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Dale

Agreed.
Just asking for trouble.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Seafire

Same advice I always followed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question I have is, who can afford more than one container of powder or even find them?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wasn’t it a ‘thing’ for some to go ‘duplex’? The idea being to mix a few powders at a certain rate to achieve the pinnacle of an accuracy node?

I thought there were those that tried to outsmart the powder companies. Maybe it was just incoherent blather at the gun counter? I could just see someone mixing powders of a similar rate then grousing over the accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 62 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.