Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLSguide
How do the Vortex 5000 compare at low light with the Alpha glass. I would rather have sharpness, clarity, and good low light gathering than longer ranging capabilities. I have Leicas now and am very happy.

They are not as good so if you have to have top end alpha glass spend the dollars.

I find the glass better than expected for the price and the rangefind has some reach.

I would say the glass is comparable to 20 year old Swaro SLCs.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine are really good in the middle but falter a little on the edge of the field

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kahles rf binos 8x42 or 10x42.
I have 8x42 and very satisfied.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300grains
Kahles rf binos 8x42 or 10x42.
I have 8x42 and very satisfied.

Where can these be purchased from in the U.S.?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
How do the Vortex 5000 compare at low light with the Alpha glass. I would rather have sharpness, clarity, and good low light gathering than longer ranging capabilities. I have Leicas now and am very happy.

They are not as good so if you have to have top end alpha glass spend the dollars.

I find the glass better than expected for the price and the rangefind has some reach.

The best thing to do is compare them side by side. My buddy has the Vortex fury 5000 HD and my Leica Geovid's are much clearer. I would not have known that if we did not compare them side by side, as I thought the Vortex were very good for the money when we were at the range and I was spotting for him with the Vortex. The nice thing that we know about Vortex is their warranty is top notch. My buddies little boy dropped his and broke the eye pieces. His boy is only 3, so the fall was only about 1' off the ground, yet both eyepieces broke. We are still waiting to see what Vortex is going to do about them. Also, his struggled to range past about 1200 yards, while the Leica's were very quick to range objects on a hillside, like a cow standing broadside at 1203 yards. I chose Leica because the glass is that much better. Now I hope I never have to use their warranty.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have the Vortex Fury HD 5000 binoc, which I bought to replace my old Leica Geovid. I really can't tell any difference in optical quality, but the rangefinder feature is way superior to the Leica, and in addition the Vortex is more compact, lighter, and I find the controls easier to use.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The best thing to do is compare them side by side. My buddy has the Vortex fury 5000 HD and my Leica Geovid's are much clearer. I would not have known that if we did not compare them side by side, as I thought the Vortex were very good for the money when we were at the range and I was spotting for him with the Vortex. The nice thing that we know about Vortex is their warranty is top notch. My buddies little boy dropped his and broke the eye pieces. His boy is only 3, so the fall was only about 1' off the ground, yet both eyepieces broke. We are still waiting to see what Vortex is going to do about them. Also, his struggled to range past about 1200 yards, while the Leica's were very quick to range objects on a hillside, like a cow standing broadside at 1203 yards. I chose Leica because the glass is that much better. Now I hope I never have to use their warranty.

I find it hard to believe the Fury 5000 "struggled" past 1200 yards. I had no problem with ANY target to 2600 yards and out to 3500 on good refective targets. The range finding feature is far, far superior to any Leica product. Period. I've used them all

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Leica has a warranty?.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had or still have the following.

Votex Fury HD 5000...Gifted it away. Meh glass, clumsy big diopter ring, ocular ring was pretty thick/wide. Laser was fantastic! YMMV.

Leica 10x42 Geovids. They have nice glass. The laser is slower to get a reading and temperature temperamental. I still have them.

Zeiss Victory 10x50 and 10x42 both are the older versions-5 years old. While the glass is still ‘alpha’, to me the Leica glass is a smidge better. I still have both of these.

As for the RF laser. Zeiss is excellent! At one point in time, Zeiss’s laser had the tightest dispersion rating for lazing at distances. Meaning, the Victory’s were more consistent at showing extended yardages over many of the other top tier alpha BRF. I believe Vortex might be as good, maybe better at this time.

I haven’t used or seen in person the latest offering from Zeiss Victory in a BRF. If I was in the market. Zeiss would definitely be one I would have to see.

Most everything is subjective based on a person’s vision for glass clarity. Mechanics are mechanics and can be measured by an individual who’s used several alpha products from different makers.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any one have the swarovski el range ? how do they compare to everything else ?

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
To answer the OP I would grab those Geovid R's from Doug's demo list.
I spent a couple weeks this fall hunting in Montana using both my old Geovid HD-R's and the new Swaro EL Range TA's.
I'm not a LR guy so I don't need all the technology that the EL Ranges's offer and their optics sure impressed but I will say those old Geovid's weren't that far behind in both RF function and optically.
Alpha glass has spoiled me , I value my time afield so I'm willing to spend a little more on optics because it brings more joy to the whole experience for me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m still using my Swaro SLC 7x42. Add a Leica rangefinder. Leica is good to about 1000 yards. You guys have got me thinking of upgrading to a single unit, but I definitely Will hang onto my SLC‘S.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Votex Fury HD 5000...Gifted it away. Meh glass, clumsy big diopter ring, ocular ring was pretty thick/wide. Laser was fantastic! YMMV.

Leica 10x42 Geovids. They have nice glass. The laser is slower to get a reading and temperature temperamental. I still have them.

Zeiss Victory 10x50 and 10x42 both are the older versions-5 years old. While the glass is still ‘alpha’, to me the Leica glass is a smidge better. I still have both of these.

As for the RF laser. Zeiss is excellent! At one point in time, Zeiss’s laser had the tightest dispersion rating for lazing at distances. Meaning, the Victory’s were more consistent at showing extended yardages over many of the other top tier alpha BRF. I believe Vortex might be as good, maybe better at this time.

I haven’t used or seen in person the latest offering from Zeiss Victory in a BRF. If I was in the market. Zeiss would definitely be one I would have to see.

Most everything is subjective based on a person’s vision for glass clarity. Mechanics are mechanics and can be measured by an individual who’s used several alpha products from different makers.

🦫

Well it looks like I have outed another sock puppet making stuff up.

Now if you had said you had 5 year old Zeiss 10x56mm and 10X45mm that I would believe. laugh

I have the older Victorys in 10x45mm and the glass still holds up pretty well to current alphas but kinda want the new 10X54mm Zeiss with the AK prisms.

I think the Zeiss 10X54 RF Victorys should be the prize for winning THE COVETED "Rent Free in Most Heads" Beaver10 award.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I have HD-B's and my brother has Fury's. We have traded off many times. There is very little difference glass wise. There is a differange range finder wise. The Fury is much better.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I find it hard to believe the Fury 5000 "struggled" past 1200 yards. I had no problem with ANY target to 2600 yards and out to 3500 on good refective targets. The range finding feature is far, far superior to any Leica product. Period. I've used them all
This.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

🦫

Now if you had said you had 5 year old Zeiss 10x56mm and 10X45mm that I would believe. laugh

I have the older Victorys in 10x45mm and the glass still holds up pretty well to current alphas but kinda want the new 10X54mm Zeiss with the AK prisms.

I think the Zeiss 10X54 RF Victorys should be the prize for winning THE COVETED "Rent Free in Most Heads" Beaver10 award.

If beaver’s a sockpuppet, you’re an intelligent, humble, non-condescending, supreme physical specimen - with a pristine liver.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

🦫

If beaver’s a sockpuppet, you’re an intelligent, humble, non-condescending, supreme physical specimen - with a pristine liver.

...and small tits.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thnx handwerk. Anyone else use the EL ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.