Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Remember Tom Sawyer, make it look like fun, someone may pay you to do it for you.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
No.

Let’s ask Jake

When youre gone, he dumps that place and moves to Florida

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just as all women are at least a 4 crazy all jobs are at least a 5 suck.

If the money is right and you can keep from redlining more days than not it is time to suck it up and get on with it.

Careful making anything you are passionate about your job. Has a tendency to turn 'fun' into work.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like what I do. Turned my childhood passion into a business/career and enjoy it immensely.

Last year started a new side hustle that I thought would be a 10-20k gig that turned into something that I could live off of. Enjoying that too even though it’s about 180 from what I expected.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, but with 90-100 hours on the water per week....I'm a tired old man. I could retire, but then what? Go fishing?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Just as all women are at least a 4 crazy all jobs are at least a 5 suck.

If the money is right and you can keep from redlining more days than not it is time to suck it up and get on with it.

Careful making anything you are passionate about your job. Has a tendency to turn 'fun' into work.

A realistic perspective. The truth is that most jobs suck. That's why it's called work and they pay you to do it.

Part of the problem is another form of entitlement - unrealistic expectations. Started around the '80s, "actualize yourself", the Army picked up on it with the "Be all you can be" slogan. Around that time I began supervising professional women. They really got caught up in it. I called them the "80s ladies". Old boy networks, fast tracks, mentors, power suits, a whole array of such crap. Didn't believe they should have to work their way up, pay their dues.

Another reality is that much job dissatisfaction is with the boss. Oh, a quitting employee won't say that, doesn't want to burn bridges, so they say they are leaving for more money, a better opportunity, etc. etc. It's really because they think the boss is an azzhole. Few managers will bother looking in the mirror, so the charades play on.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I really enjoyed my job until I began having to do my job plus another guy’s job and then another guy’s job too. The first day I was eligible for retirement, I hit the road. Boss asked what he was supposed to do now. I told him it ain’t my problem!

Had I been able to continue just doing my job, I would have stayed until I was too old to do it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Spend a couple of years in a Japanese owned manufacturing plant associated with the auto industry.

They go back to your old job. You'll like it much better, then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope.

I retired 5 years ago as a butcher of 40 years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Did a stint as a wrangler for a few years.
The pay wasnt great, but that was freaking amazing.
Been around horses all my life and it was right in my back yard.

Management at the ranch changed and went back to cutting meat and collecting my retirement. .
I'm so comfortable cutting meat I could do it in my sleep.
The pay ain't bad out here either.

Proud NRA Life Member
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll take that lower tray of the strips, please.
That photo in the red apron reminds me of Bill the Butcher. No one to trifle with!

Last edited by WMR; 03/14/23.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Retired now but, thankfully, no when I did work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes. I just hate it.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do like Sam Olson, make it look like fun.[Linked Image from opensource.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I enjoyed residential roofing. Fresh air, different location ever 3 days.
No politics or water cooler [bleep]. Pussies don’t last beyond the first day. lol
Green mtn dew puke comes out of their nose, call your mama come get ya

Lots of colorful characters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope. Love mine.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a REA lineman for 35 years and now been retired for 10 years the work was fine in all weather conditions , the community people were great to help , but the management politics at the REA were horrible , iw ork with some very good linemen that never got promoted . it seemed the poorer lazy worker who kissed butt were the ones who were promoted i also think this is very common in America now and that is a real shame it makes our country weak with liberals in charge, and the proof is at the Whitehouse with Biden / Harris team.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I Enjoyed my time as an Iron Worker with some bad days.
It was a Constant fight to get promoted even in the Union .

I really enjoyed my time as an Inspector, With some bad days.
It was a Constant fight and a lost fight getting the good jobs over cleaning up everyone else's crap they created for the Labs I worked for.

Been self employed for over 25 years and bent to my clients and the Labs.
Now I do what I want pretty much semi retired Some Inspections , Some Fabrication and always Starving.

I do enjoy being Independent not so much the Starving part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's not to love? <insert sarcasm font> But I'm self employed so I can't bitch about nothing.

Truth is, I enjoy doing some aspects of my job, but I'm getting tired and taking alot more time off recovering from work between projects. For me the hardest part is prying my [bleep] off the couch and getting started. Better once I'm moving. I get a new knee in two weeks I hope that helps me get my groove back.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Really like my job, especially since covid. Working at home full time, hopefully permanently... Do IT support so there are slow times where I can get around the house stuff done, and get paid for doing it. Manager is chill and mostly leaves me alone...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been on both ends of this spectrum.

In a 40 year career so far, I would say that I have had 9 or 10 really good years. There have been some really bad years, some boring years and some okay years. I was fortunate to have some great business travel - traveled most of America, many trips to Europe, a short residence in England, and some travel to Latin America.

Worked at a fortune 100 company a long time. It started as a mid-sized company (software) but was later bought out. I was with the combined company 21 years. Only 6 of those years were enjoyable. But I was very well paid and trapped by all the things that come with disposable income - a wife that earned a pittance, two kids and the big house.

Then the big company began the death spiral. One day I was one of 1400 employees that got “the call” (we were all white and in our upper 50’s). I spent the next five years trying to get some different business ideas off the ground - learned I wasn’t cut out for that. Lost quite a bit of money …. Along with some other near disasters.

Recently, my best friend asked me to help him run his small manufacturing business. I am doing things that are totally new to me and I am absolutely loving it. At age 63. Working incredibly hard. On a wild day, I will have 70+ Phone calls. It has been probably ten years since I have felt productive and could see that I was making a significant impact on the business. It feels great to have that feeling again - I want to ride this for a while before I retire.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes. I just hate it.

Can't stand the management? grin

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (16penny, 405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.