Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Would you have been a machinist if you had been required to take seven years of schooling and come out with $250k of debt when done?

You can be a machinist today without paying a bunch of money.

If you want to talk about attending elite universities and such, that's one topic.

But the working class opportunities that were available to me are still there today.

And the bottom line is, most Boomers spent their lives working at a job. I've showed you a job that's available to*day* that pays a good wage and has benefits.

There's undoubtedly others.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want to make the sacrifice necessary to work those types of jobs. They're a tough way to make a living.

But the vast majority of people who have had success "working" have had tough jobs. In the working class, the best money is made in the tough jobs. Not all of the tough jobs pay good money. But all the jobs that pay good money require a sacrifice.

Sure, but what if someone wants to be a doctor? That’s the point. Fifty years ago he could have gone to the best schools in the world and had very little to no debt when he got done. Not so nowadays.

You know, when I was a kid, I went to work in construction as a laborer to make some money or school. Had I been so inclined, I don’t think I would have had any problem getting on as an apprentice in a trade and before too long being one of the skilled hands. It would have been a good living. We had one guy from Mexico on our crew. I couldn’t do that now. I wouldn’t get hired as a non-Spanish speaking white guy.

Still lots of room for success for people willing to work, but a society will not exist for long if it requires exceptional effort and ability to succeed. Society has to be able to provide avenues for the marginal to do pretty well too.

If you want to argue that millennials are a bunch of pussies, I won’t argue. But they have a point too.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Just look at today. Did the "people" run the national debt through the roof? Did the "people" crash those banks? Did the "people" choose to involve America in the conflict in Ukraine?

Are we to hold the "people" of the GenX, Millennial, and GenZ generations responsible for those fuggups?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Sure, but what if someone wants to be a doctor?

They study hard, make good grades, get a BS in biology where they continue to make good grades, then they apply to medical school.

If they need money, they get a student loan.

Doctors don't have any problems paying off student loans.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

They study hard, make good grades, get a BS in biology where they continue to make good grades, then they apply to medical school.

Actually some of them do. It’s a big part of the reason why your doctor is a lot more likely to be a PA instead of a doctor and/or Pakastani to boot.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yeah, that's bs.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In 1973 I got a summer job, in two months I bought a new Suzuki TM-75, 75cc dirt-bike for $475.
Now little bikes like that cost $3,000, I don't think a 13 year old can get a summer job and have the money to buy a $3,ooo dirt bike in two months. Just saying.
But it is what it is.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
In 1973 I got a summer job, in two months I bought a new Suzuki TM-75, 75cc dirt-bike for $475.
Now little bikes like that cost $3,000, I don't think a 13 year old can get a summer job and have the money to buy a $3,ooo dirt bike in two months. Just saying.
But it is what it is.

The "people" of the Boomer generation didn't create the situation where a 13 year old can't afford a motorcycle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ol_mike
But it is what it is.

Dishwashers at Texas Road House, here, I am told make $20 per hour. In 150 hours they can make 3000 before taxes.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by logger
I'm sure it is easy to blame the Boomers, but at the same time be more than willing to take an inheritance from Boomer parents. We are probably going to see the largest transfers of generational wealth as the Boomers phase out.

They used that line a lot when I was in insurance and finance. The real story is, the doctors and nursing homes and medicare and medicaid are lined up before the heirs and they won't leave anything untouched.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/19/23.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
There are undeniable things that are more difficult for those kids nowadays. In the 1960s, 70s, and even up through the 80s a person could put himself through an elite college by working. That’s impossible now at lots of places. You’re not going to get a job that will allow you to pay $75k a year in tuition.

It’s criminal what we as a country have done to these kids. College tuition is out of control purely because of government spending and government interference in the market place because of student loans. And basically every other problem has its roots in government.

They know something is wrong. But they lack the tools to correctly diagnose it. They see the old films of how things were clean and they can watch 80s movies where Southern California was an overwhelmingly white suburban paradise and so on and so forth. They know things are different but they’ve been so indoctrinated they can’t correctly see why.

And it’s easy for boomers to make fun of them but the kids weren’t in charge of the things that made college ruinously expensive or their world trashy ass jungle full of illegals and other foreigners.

If the point is that the country has gone to schit and boomers were the one in charge when it did, it’s pretty hard to deny.

Yep

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Geesus cry me a river. Try adding two divorces, 30 years of outrageous child support payments, the total loss of your nearly paid for house and all your belongings when in your 40's onto that list and we'll talk about how tough you've had it. Fuuckin pussies. I'm just damn glad I had so much "white priviledge" or I might not have survived.
I guess some people realize the difficulty that getting divorced has on their finances, and avoid it. But it takes a real genius to get divorced once, then set himself up for the same thing a second time.
If you insist on being an idiot, you better not be a fuuckin pussy.
Anybody who thinks they can predict the future when it comes to women and relationships is the real idiot. Some people get lucky when it comes to women/ marriage but that's all it is.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There are undeniable things that are more difficult for those kids nowadays. In the 1960s, 70s, and even up through the 80s a person could put himself through an elite college by working. That’s impossible now at lots of places. You’re not going to get a job that will allow you to pay $75k a year in tuition.

It’s criminal what we as a country have done to these kids. College tuition is out of control purely because of government spending and government interference in the market place because of student loans. And basically every other problem has its roots in government.

They know something is wrong. But they lack the tools to correctly diagnose it. They see the old films of how things were clean and they can watch 80s movies where Southern California was an overwhelmingly white suburban paradise and so on and so forth. They know things are different but they’ve been so indoctrinated they can’t correctly see why.

And it’s easy for boomers to make fun of them but the kids weren’t in charge of the things that made college ruinously expensive or their world trashy ass jungle full of illegals and other foreigners.

If the point is that the country has gone to schit and boomers were the one in charge when it did, it’s pretty hard to deny.

Well said.

Originally Posted by logger

I don't think it is age (generations) but ideology. After all, Biden is not a boomer and he doesn't seem to be helping much. Of the Boomer presidents, we've had 16 years of Democrats and 12 years of Republicans.

I’m think generations are pretty difficult to separate from their dominant ideology. And the fact is, that regardless of the expressed ideology, we have 30 years of out of control government spending, interventionist and bellicose foreign policy, and ruinous immigration policies. There isn’t a vaginal hair’s worth of difference between boomer politicians regardless of the party or expressed ideology on those issues.

Ding ding ding

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Geesus cry me a river. Try adding two divorces, 30 years of outrageous child support payments, the total loss of your nearly paid for house and all your belongings when in your 40's onto that list and we'll talk about how tough you've had it. Fuuckin pussies. I'm just damn glad I had so much "white priviledge" or I might not have survived.

That has nothing to do with when you are born, that is mostly due to stupidity…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

they do in primary care ( family medicine, pediatrics, etc)

graduate with $300,000 worth of debt, and get a job that pays $120,000

they're 27 and need to get a car and into a house.

Lot better shape than an English major of course.

now a good 'ologist can make bank from what I see around here.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It's mostly due to luck or the lack of it you sanctimonios prick. Some folks are born with a rabbits foot in their mitts and some aren't.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

That’s all self inflicted

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It's mostly due to luck or the lack of it you sanctimonios prick. Some folks are born with a rabiits foot in their mitts and some aren't.

Could be born in Haiti or Somalia...list goes on.

Ymmv

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by efw

That’s all self inflicted
No it isn't. For instance, how many people who don't live in a flood zone carry flood insurance ? Ask around. Bet you don't find many.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sycamore

they do in primary care ( family medicine, pediatrics, etc)

graduate with $300,000 worth of debt, and get a job that pays $120,000

they're 27 and need to get a car and into a house.

Lot better shape than an English major of course.

now a good 'ologist can make bank from what I see around here.

It’s alright, we can make do with a PA or a Pakastani who graduated at the International Islamic University of Islamabad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mebbeso in Texas.

In Arizona, where the state constitution calls for higher education (for Residents) to be "as nearly free as practicable" the State Legislature has reduced funding to State Universities every time it has a chance. Very popular with the retired population.

In order to run the schools, (agree they have a [bleep]-ton of un-needed overhead) the Universities have raised tuition.

what was $325/semester in 1980 is $10,000 a semester in 2020.

compare minimum wage between 1980 and 2020.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.