Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hicountry
I think this guy smoked too much dope in the 60s, maybe even took some mind altering drugs.
Yeah……. That’s gotta be it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hicountry
I think this guy smoked too much dope in the 60s, maybe even took some mind altering drugs.

No, his problem is, he vastly over-estimates the value of his opinions and the rest of the planet's interest in them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the same ignorant dude who claimed he got lead poisoning while working in an indoor shooting range and it was all because of people shooting lead bullets. He was completely unaware his problems came from the lead styphnate in the primer and the piss poor ventilation in the range. Tune this dude out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the fact that I've cleaned a lot of it out of my rifles his example of the military not addressing copper fouling if in fact they don't doesn't take in to account the purpose of general issue military rifles. They're for shooting people and putting a lot of bullets toward them fast. They're not for shooting targets or varmints.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 03/25/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by cisco1
I have known this for years.

Old shooters are pretty smart.

One can clean a bore.... or one an remove ALL copper fouling and open up the pits and holes in bore and encourage more corrosion with the

harsh bore cleaner.

Get a bore light and learn something !!!!!
Get a bore scope and learn much more.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smokepole,

I think you nailed it.

He's a legend in his own mind....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Idaho [bleep]

You have not learned a thing . I doubt you have a borescope !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cisco is stupid

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Well, that's 14 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Complete waste of bandwidth.

Hope nobody is paying this guy.

YouTube apparently is because he has 160,000 idiots following him.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Back in the 60's I basically shot out the barrel of my .243 at around 2300 rounds.. Oh yeah, it would tighten up to around 2 in groups after firing a few rounds through the scrubbed barrel. But the main reason the barrel went was because I didn't keep it clean in the first place

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Aren’t most military rifle bbls chrome lined to mitigate all fouling and wear??

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be honest, I wouldn't expect more than 2300 rounds on a .243 Winchester anyway. I've seen them go faster than that.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have known this for years.

Old shooters are pretty smart.

One can clean a bore.... or one an remove ALL copper fouling and open up the pits and holes in bore and encourage more corrosion with the

harsh bore cleaner.

Get a bore light and learn something !!!!!
Get a bore scope and learn much more.
Idaho [bleep]

I have a Bore Scope. This rifle is a tang safety Ruger Varmint and is flawless on the outside, positively pristine. A bore light shows a nice shiny bore. A Bore Scope tells a different story.

Copper-fouling is “A Thing”. The bbl pictured is now destined for tomato stake duty.

Attached Images
Last edited by horse1; 03/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
How many rounds does it take before there is so much copper (not carbon) layered in the barrel that a bullet can no longer travel through the restricted bore diameter and the gun explodes? A thousand? 5 million? Never?
Interesting question. Assuming that could actually happen, I’d expect pressure to damage the gun before it actually did happen. If it can’t happen, then there is obviously a point where the copper fouling stops.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Long winded babbling old goat doesn't know half what he thinks he does.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
How many rounds does it take before there is so much copper (not carbon) layered in the barrel that a bullet can no longer travel through the restricted bore diameter and the gun explodes? A thousand? 5 million? Never?
Interesting question. Assuming that could actually happen, I’d expect pressure to damage the gun before it actually did happen. If it can’t happen, then there is obviously a point where the copper fouling stops.
It can’t happen. He uses the drywall analogy to explain this.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Idaho [bleep]

As a matter of fact. I bought a Teslong shortly after introduction to the shooting community, several years ago. Very educational.

And yes, I have seen a couple of my own rifles lose accuracy due to copper fouling. A 264 Win got to the point the first three would still print under an inch. But #9 through 12 would go into five inches. A new barrel from PacNor restored the accuracy the rifle had when factory new.

Of course that was after 2500 rounds down the barrel.

Another was a 340 Wea purchased used with an unknown round count. Absolutely abysmal accuracy. Shoot ten rounds, and spend an hour with Sweets getting the Copper out again. PacNor cured that one too.

The guy in the OP video reminds me of my Dad. Very experienced hunter. Killed a bunch of game every year with his Remington 760 in 30-06. But did not really know crap about ballistics or rifle performance.

He loved his 30-06 with factory loads but despised the 308 for its short range and inefficiency.

He criticized my purchase of a 25-06, and my buddy's 270. "Because they are so fast the bullet will just pencil through without time to expand."

Like the OP, Dad was blissfully unaware of what he did not know. But what he thought he knew, he knew for certain fact.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not too anal about cleaning a bore. I AM anal about accuracy.

I'll shoot my rifles until I notice accuracy dropping off, then I'll scrub the bore really well with a good solvent until I get clean patches.

Mostly I'm removing the carbon buildup, but I'm also removing copper in the process. I figure that's good enough, and my rifles go back to the accuracy I'm accustomed to.

Some people play chess when the game is really checkers. If your bore is dirty, it's carbon and copper. Clean it. Shoot some more... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the flip side, if you never let your bore get heavily fouled, it is very easy and quick to clean with no scrubbing required.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Long winded babbling old goat doesn't know half what he thinks he does.

He's a good example of a mansplainer. grin

Mansplaining is a pejorative term meaning (of a man) "to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner". Author Rebecca Solnit ascribed the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness". Lily Rothman, of The Atlantic, defined it as "explaining without regard to the fact that the explainee knows more than the explainer, often done by a man to a woman".

In its original use, mansplaining differed from other forms of condescension in that it was said to be rooted in the assumption that a man is likely to be more knowledgeable than a woman. However, it has come to be used more broadly, often applied when a man takes a condescending tone in an explanation to anyone, regardless of the age or gender of the intended recipients: a "man 'splaining" can be delivered to any audience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansplaining

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.