Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Keeping this one close to the top, since the weather is getting slightly better:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one is pretty much confirmed in my rifle.. I don't know how much more improvement one can get on a lightweight skinny barrel rifle?

👍🏻👍🏻. Velocity?

John

John, I'm running them right around 2,950 fps avg:

I worked up to a higher charge weight, but lost accuracy. That was 37.5gr and 1 3/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards: The reason I settled on 35.5 grains. I generally shoot for 1" groups at 400 yards these days and as soon as they extend the range out to 1,000 I'll probably not touch the 400 yard range anymore. Here's another group shot at 400 yards with that load. It seems to be pretty consistent:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I recently took the plunge and bought a Tikka 22-250 with an 8 twist to specifically utilize 88 ELD-Ms. By the way, it does shoot the 75s very well. Anyway, my first foray into researching loads has been abysmal. I noticed that my Hornady 11th Edition and said app, have no information for this combination (22-250 and 88 ELD). A call to Hornady got the same result; "we don't have load data for that combination". So, to shortcut my research and to hopefully have a resource for others similarly situated, I figured I would start this thread in the hopes that others may have already experimented with this combination. Does anybody have any loads they care to or are willing to share. Yes, yes, I know the standard admonition: "these work in my rifle and may not be safe in yours, start low and work up". Starting and end points are helpful.

So, all of that to ask, does anybody out there have: a) an 8 twist 22-250, b) is loading/shooting 88 ELD-M, and, c) is willing to share your load(s) and results?

Bringing this one back to the top, as it's a good thread. Wondering if anyone else has been messing around with this combo lately? The weather is getting better, so I'm assuming guys are getting out there and shooting.. Anyone else care to post some info?
Yes, the yote looks like a blob way down there at the 400 yard line...!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
Keep us posted man. I'd like to hear the results.

Thank you and others who contributed for your help.

Alvaro

You contributed a lot to this thread as well. Thanks for that. I'm sure the OP is getting some great info. Haven't seen or heard from him lately though.
I've been back several times and taken in what has been provided. I've not done anything beyond the loads I provided in my third post. They were great loads with components I have so I've done no further experimentation with the additional information provided. I do agree that this has been a great thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by chamois
Keep us posted man. I'd like to hear the results.

Thank you and others who contributed for your help.

Alvaro

You contributed a lot to this thread as well. Thanks for that. I'm sure the OP is getting some great info. Haven't seen or heard from him lately though.
I've been back several times and taken in what has been provided. I've not done anything beyond the loads I provided in my third post. They were great loads with components I have so I've done no further experimentation with the additional information provided. I do agree that this has been a great thread.

Cool deal. I just bought 8 pounds of AA3100 powder for cheap. I'll bet that would probably work to launch these heavies. Probably would not get the velocities I'm wanting, but we might just see...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got back on this one again and have come to the conclusion that my rifle just doesn’t like the 88s, it will consistently group 77 TMK and 80 ELDM to the .6 to .75 range but it always double groups or throws a flier with 88s to average about 1.5
All are 5 shot groups and the pattern is very consistent, I even duplicated your load exactly BSA for the same result
The Range here is less then 100 feet above sea level, maybe that has something to do with it
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
I am almost through a box of 88s so I won’t bother wit these any longer, the 80 ELDM is the sweet spot for me and it is a great hunting bullet in the 22/250, along with the 77TMK.

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 05/12/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If groups aren't round,your rifle is SCREAMING "mechanical!". Hint.

Describe the particulars of your rifle,including scope,base,rings and ammo components. This schit is VERY fhuqking easy,if you Start At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. I shoot 88's in a "few" '250's. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It isn’t mechanical [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm VERY "surprised" that your bedding turned your rifle into a Smoothbore. Though admittedly,I'm "unfamiliar" with the "particulars" of same,whether in OEM or Speedmire. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You've got the "gift"! No fhuqking wonder none of your schit shoots! Hint. LAUGHING!

Base/rings matter. Component selection matters. Undoubtedly you've botched headspace,along with seating depth and such things matter. If groups aren't round,your rifle is SCREAMING "mechanical!". Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stumpy,

Does the rust on all of your rifles help out with the fantastic accuracy claims you are always making?

Maybe you could do a tutorial on where and how to rust your rifle and components to get the most accuracy, close up and at distance...

If a pic of one of your rifles doesn't show rust, its evident its a new one and hasn't been shot or used outside yet by you.

I took one of my rifles and have been cleaning and washing it in the creek and then letting it drip dry, along with the scope on top etc, and as soon as it started rusting, and especially in the bore, I've noticed my groups have tightened up dramatically. The rifle is also much more accurate at longer distances now.

Had some profanity engrave on the barrel, and that tightened up my two shot groups even tighter. At 1000 yds, I am getting 5 shot ONE hole groups...

People need to read your posts more often and deeper.. and do like you say... Read it, then read it again and then one more time.

I've also shaved my head, grew a foo man chu, got fat and started doing the Babble course of Genuine Alaskan Trailer Park Gibberish, and my thousand yard groups of one hole are even getting smaller, with I use a smaller bore bullet.

People need to learn, you've got it ALL figured out...Yesterday I even managed to get a 1 hole group at 1000 yds out of my Ruger 10/22, and rust on the bore made it all come together... I am eternally grateful for your eye opening lessons and posts. YOU"RE the MAN....

Does it even get better if I did this being drunk, like you do??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.