Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mnmarlin
Is it time to lay the "pre-64" Winchester crap to rest? That's almost 60 years ago now (for the younger kids that skipped math class). I have a "pre-64" Model 12. It's a very fine pump shotgun. I could shoot it another quarter million times and it wouldn't be worn out. It does the job for sure. I also have an early 90's Wingmaster.......

Ahhhh, the "pre-64 crap" applies to the Model 70 rifle, correct?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pre-64 won't go away. They don't make them anymore. There will always be a market for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pre-64 continues to increase in appreciation, recognizing old world construction techniques that are not utilized in todays manufacturing process. People now assemble firearms, when pre-64 Winchesters were hand fitted with craftsmanship.

Sadly this is the change in modern rifle technology, and it isn’t about quality…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Pre-64 continues to increase in appreciation, recognizing old world construction techniques that are not utilized in todays manufacturing process. People now assemble firearms, when pre-64 Winchesters were hand fitted with craftsmanship.

Sadly this is the change in modern rifle technology, and it isn’t about quality…

The same can be said about almost ALL firearm brands and manufacturers.

Most of what transpired is due to the consumer market.

Customers shifted gears from wanting a royal blue rifle with high grade walnut to a rifle with much less expense spent on fit and finish, but accurate enough to get the job done.

Then you factor in the bean counters managing most of the firearm manufacturing companies, and answering to investors, and you get what we see today.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by mnmarlin
Is it time to lay the "pre-64" Winchester crap to rest? That's almost 60 years ago now (for the younger kids that skipped math class). I have a "pre-64" Model 12. It's a very fine pump shotgun. I could shoot it another quarter million times and it wouldn't be worn out. It does the job for sure. I also have an early 90's Wingmaster.......

Ahhhh, the "pre-64 crap" applies to the Model 70 rifle, correct?

Pretty sure pre-64 applies to all winchesters produced prior to 1964, particularly in the smokeless powder era.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm talking bone stock rifles...no aftermarket tweaks or parts. In a hypothetical situation, say the hunt of a lifetime in a very remote area with weather extremes, and your rifle HAD to work first time, every time...would you grab the pre 64...or would you grab the 700?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The same can be said about almost ALL firearm brands and manufacturers.

Most of what transpired is due to the consumer market.

Customers shifted gears from wanting a royal blue rifle with high grade walnut to a rifle with much less expense spent on fit and finish, but accurate enough to get the job done.

Then you factor in the bean counters managing most of the firearm manufacturing companies, and answering to investors, and you get what we see today.

That is true, but the model 70 Winchester was always regarded as a better rifle and cost more than a Remington of the same era…

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m taking my pre 64 to TZ in 27 days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by DMc
I think there will always be a demand and they will continue to increase in value as they always have. People appreciate quality.
Take a look at the pre 64 checkering,inletting and machine work on the actions and tell me about quality. There was a reason they went the direction they did . Take a look at a new Winchester 70. Better all the way around.

The difference between work done by hand and work done by computer controlled designs. People can't duplicate jobs that are done over and over and over again as well as a properly programmed computer controlled machine can.

I like those old guns because they have the sort of character that comes from being worked on by people.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DMc
I think there will always be a demand and they will continue to increase in value as they always have. People appreciate quality.
Take a look at the pre 64 checkering,inletting and machine work on the actions and tell me about quality. There was a reason they went the direction they did . Take a look at a new Winchester 70. Better all the way around.

The difference between work done by hand and work done by computer controlled designs. People can't duplicate jobs that are done over and over and over again as well as a properly programmed computer controlled machine can.

I like those old guns because they have the sort of character that comes from being worked on by people.

Same here. The people at Winchester knew what they were doing. It is evident in their work which is timeless.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm talking bone stock rifles...no aftermarket tweaks or parts. In a hypothetical situation, say the hunt of a lifetime in a very remote area with weather extremes, and your rifle HAD to work first time, every time...would you grab the pre 64...or would you grab the 700?

People have grown accustomed to synthetic stocks and finishes that may or may not resist the effects of weather better than the old world blued steel and walnut. But for many years, that’s what people had and they worked fine. There may have been more care or maintenance that went into hunting and caring for such a weapon, but that’s part of being a shooter and a hunter.

I find charm in old guns that show the wear and scars of obvious use. They help tell a story. One of my Model 12s was gifted to me by my grandfather after his passing. There are two small spots on the receiver where some deer blood was left on the metal by mistake, causing the blueing to wear off. I’m sure that irked Grandpa, but I love those little spots on that gun. Ditto for the wear on the blueing where Grandpa carried that gun, right where the action and barrel meet. I carry the gun by the same spot, it’s natural balance point.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/06/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SRPI89

You SUCK!

Take lots of pictures!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own half a dozen pre64 M70's .... but I own even more junky old Mausers... not hard to guess where I stand on the issue... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SRPI89
Good luck in Tanzania.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you require an explanation about craftsmanship and pride of ownership, no one can help you.
Stick to Savages and Mossbergs.
That ought to ruffle some feathers.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by DMc

Are you saying Winchester moved away from the pre-64 era guns to make them better, or am I misunderstanding you?
Originally they did it to make them cheaper. They had high labor costs because of antiquated worn out machinery which caused a lot of hand work to be done because of the sloppy tooling they had. Yes the post 64 rifles were better mechanically but not asthetically. The new Winchesters using CNC equipment are a way better product then the pre 64 model 70`s.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DMc

Take a look at a Cooper with its hand checkering Vs any pre 64 Win and tell me about quality and character.Hell look at the early Ruger 77`s which were hand checkered and sold in the same ball park figures as the Wins. if you want apples to apples.

Last edited by Huntz; 07/06/23.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The new Winchesters using CNC equipment are a way better product then the pre 64 model 70`s.
You've clearly never handled or shot one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Obsolete. Nobody wants that old wood and blued steel crap.
Embrace today’s technology.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The new Winchesters using CNC equipment are a way better product then the pre 64 model 70`s.
You've clearly never handled or shot one.
Not true ,my Dad had about 6 pre 64`s.I have had several and never found one worth keeping. Believe me there was nothing magic about them.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257Bob, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1234, 257man, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 13,749 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,841
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.