Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
PS The esthetics of the 70 were being sacrificed for higher profits a few years before 1964, also, revealed by such things as switching to a plastic butt plate vs steel, and lower quality checkering on the stock. Some of the latest pre-64 specimens weren't quite up to the reputation, but pre-1962, they were pretty universally very nice rifles. Pre-war, even better.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mnmarlin
Is it time to lay the "pre-64" Winchester crap to rest?

Blasphemy!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm talking bone stock rifles...no aftermarket tweaks or parts. In a hypothetical situation, say the hunt of a lifetime in a very remote area with weather extremes, and your rifle HAD to work first time, every time...would you grab the pre 64...or would you grab the 700?

I wouldn't grab a 700 for anything.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mention "Pre-64 M70" and the term "bean counter" inevitably enters the conversation. I think it's a rule. Kind of like the mandatory use of the word "insipient" when talking about case head separation in an article.

Winchester is a business, and the primary goal of any business is to make money. Had Winchester continued to offer the original version the cost would have gone up dramatically and fewer and fewer rifles would have been sold. They made a choice to manufacture a more build friendly version and kept the doors open. It's always easy to judge in hindsight.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EdM
I own three pre-64's M70's and they are all "low cost" customs. Most recent is an early 70's Dale Goen's 6.5x55 purchased not long ago. I hope to have it out Friday for the first time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Once a good gunsmith gets a hold of the action ,they are tolerable. Nice looking rifle for sure.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read that the pre-war Model 70s were the finest, labor after the war got expensive and quality started to slip in the 50s up until 64 when the rifle was overhauled. Still, I find nothing wrong with the post 64 push feeds as a quality hunting rifle. A pre-war 70 is much like a Rolex divers watch, not for everyone but those who can relate to the quality of a fine thing, well designed, purpose driven and well executed.

Last edited by 257Bob; 07/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the pre 64 70s. But there are problem rifles among any of them too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The way I see it is true the younger guys fall for all the advertised hype and long range small caliber high BC fast twist stuff
A percentage of these guys will find a passion for the hunt and figure out the advertised hula is not nessesary and figure out that a pre64 mod 70 in 30/06 will do everything pretty well
Is older guys went through that same thing when the belted mag craze hit.
I recall thinking my 03 Springfield was a thing of the past and just had to have a7 mag and 243
I find them both useless for my needs today

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a pre-64 standard grade 30-06. For a while I had a more recent 30-06 M70.
I used to take them out to the club and shoot one box of ammo I'd loaded for matches a long time ago.
Group size was slightly smaller but more uniform with the old one. The stock on the new one fit me better. Old one feels a little clunky. Trigger goes slightly to post.
Kept the old one for sentimentality. Was an old buddies gun.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Certainly a pre 64 fwt in a quality synthetic stock makes a fine hunting rifle!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Pre 64 model 70's are cool as can be and will probably always have a cult following but they are largely responsible for this fascination with controlled round feed which is one of the biggest loads of crap that has ever been foisted on the shooting public. Everything we have learned about seriously accurate rifles over the last 50 years we've learned from the Remington 700. There's a reason for that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm talking bone stock rifles...no aftermarket tweaks or parts. In a hypothetical situation, say the hunt of a lifetime in a very remote area with weather extremes, and your rifle HAD to work first time, every time...would you grab the pre 64...or would you grab the 700?

Frankly? Neither. There's a reason all my serious hunting rifles are based on 98 Mauser actions. I'm not saying the pre-64 M70s are bad rifles. I'm just saying I think the Mauser is better.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 07/06/23.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bugs, ask yourself what the origin of controlled round feed was, then ponder if it just might be useful now and then.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I would grab my post-64 stainless CF 375 H&H M70 which I have done and will do again next year. But it has had a stock replacement by the previous owner. Without the stock replacement it would go as well. Same can be said for my 30-06 FN Mauser that is not modified and worked in Namibia. My M700 rebore worked fine on a grizzly and black bear hunt in BC. My Ruger M77 35 Whelen did the same on an elk/moose horseback hunt in BC.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bugs4
Pre 64 model 70's are cool as can be and will probably always have a cult following but they are largely responsible for this fascination with controlled round feed which is one of the biggest loads of crap that has ever been foisted on the shooting public. Everything we have learned about seriously accurate rifles over the last 50 years we've learned from the Remington 700. There's a reason for that.
Controlled Round Feed was never about accuracy. It was about reliability (it prevented user-caused feeding flubs), and was mainly a concern among dangerous game hunters, and (in the days before semiautomatics) military procurement people.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
mnmarluney: You are publishing your won stupidity by TRYING to demean a whole class of really wonderful, classy, reliable, valuable firearms!
Needless to say you have failed miserably (probably a lifelong trait!) in your pathetic attempt.
No need for the likes of you to wear any asbestos garments - you would be better served with a "tinfoil hat".
Sad and pathetic attempt at "attention whoring" by you - I surmise.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pre 64 model 88 and my son has a pre 64 model 70 Featherweight 308. Those are our main hunting rifles. I have a couple post 63 model 94's. A 30-30 and a 32. I used to have the same pair in pre 64s but they left due to their value. I find the post 63 model 94's work just fine

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Pre 64 was and still is a great firearm. It was expensive to manufacture. Remington tooled up to make a CRF M720 in 1941-44. It was a fine rifle and only 2.5k or so were produced. It has become a Holy Grail of Remington production since the government ended up with them. They made a few m30 after the war from parts they had on hand. The M700 was pretty much a genius design allowing for an accurate rifle produced on the assembly line from single purpose production machinery. It drove Winchester to produce the post 64 push feed design in order to compete. Their advertising along with Mike Walker and Jim Stekl winning Benchrest matches were a one-up for Remington. That was back in the day when Remington actually had craftsmen on the line at the factory. Production costs and Unions have hit all companies but Remington took some bad turns by settling court cases that weren't actually their fault and not changing the trigger design to a less foolproof mechanism.
There are no dual opposed lug bolt action rifles that do not impose on at least one of Paul Mauser's patents. That design is still going strong.
All designs can be improved on and CNC machinery has allowed precision manufacture to blossom into a new level of precision. The M12 is better balanced but it has it's own parts breakage. It'll take a lot of abuse before it breaks though. The M870 is heavier and not so well balanced but it is decent enough.
Many of the great stockers are gone now and many hunters have gravitated to synthetics. That Goens stocked M70 is a fine rifle. We have some good stockers and gun builders today that can compete very well with the older generation, but prices are higher and good wood is hard to come by.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I only have one pre 64 model 70. Chambered in 300HH. It's the back up for my Mauser. It's a fine rifle, it just doesn't fit me well. I will take any pre-64 Model 70 offered, if the price is fair. As far as lever action pre-64, they take second place to my 99 Savage, all day long!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot
The Pre 64 was and still is a great firearm. It was expensive to manufacture. Remington tooled up to make a CRF M720 in 1941-44. It was a fine rifle and only 2.5k or so were produced. It has become a Holy Grail of Remington production since the government ended up with them. They made a few m30 after the war from parts they had on hand. The M700 was pretty much a genius design allowing for an accurate rifle produced on the assembly line from single purpose production machinery. It drove Winchester to produce the post 64 push feed design in order to compete. Their advertising along with Mike Walker and Jim Stekl winning Benchrest matches were a one-up for Remington. That was back in the day when Remington actually had craftsmen on the line at the factory. Production costs and Unions have hit all companies but Remington took some bad turns by settling court cases that weren't actually their fault and not changing the trigger design to a less foolproof mechanism.
There are no dual opposed lug bolt action rifles that do not impose on at least one of Paul Mauser's patents. That design is still going strong.
All designs can be improved on and CNC machinery has allowed precision manufacture to blossom into a new level of precision. The M12 is better balanced but it has it's own parts breakage. It'll take a lot of abuse before it breaks though. The M870 is heavier and not so well balanced but it is decent enough.
Many of the great stockers are gone now and many hunters have gravitated to synthetics. That Goens stocked M70 is a fine rifle. We have some good stockers and gun builders today that can compete very well with the older generation, but prices are higher and good wood is hard to come by.
Very good knowledgeable post. I enjoy some older Win bolt actions, but favor Mausers for the most part.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 14,816 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,171
Posts18,543,004
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.