-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hugh...Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I'm in the wildfire line of work and I've had some training in suicide and stress management. My wife is an RN in Er and ICU so we've been good shoulders for each other over the years. As dodge said many times you don't see it until its too late. Keep an eye on your sister and any changes to "normal" patterns. Sometimes people want to talk about it other times they just want someone to bring them a drink and sit beside them. If she wants to talk don't feel you have to solve the problem, just listen and if you believe it would help kindly suggest you find someone to talk with. Not necessarily at Dr but someone with experience in dealing with suicide. Dodge will tell you some of the best support is from peers, they get it as they've walked in your shoes. The same goes here in dealing with loss and suicide. I don't have a lot of experience but if I can help in any way just drop me a PM. Dodge, if you ever need to vent, scream obscenities or talk about something drop me a PM.

Last edited by Tstorm1; 08/18/23. Reason: spelling
GB4

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No words, I'll Pray.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good luck Hugh...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hate to hear this. A PM that was hired on in my from the same week as I was was a very capable person, till he married the second wife. She had to have the big house and fancy car...it drove him to bankruptcy and he declined to go to lunch with all us guys one day and we found him behind the office in his car when we got back.

One's mind is a swirling storm of emotions, questions and attempted answers. I guess I am lucky in that my lizard brain does not have that penchant for what looks like the easy out, I have some anger issues but so far have reached outward.

I have a granddaughter that struggles with depression and I worry about her someday just giving up that struggle.

Sorry for your sister's loss and this road you must now travel.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
May he rest in peace. God Bless. The horrific thing about suicide is the terrible burden it leaves on love one’s left behind.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sorry for your loss! Prayers for your sister to help ease her through a very difficult time!

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Very sorry, prayers sent!

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Depression is a disease that ruins and destroys life. It is only by happenstance and a 5 minute phone call with a psych nurse that i am around to post.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear this, help your sister, take care of yourself.

Lost a friend the first day of turkey season 1987. We were seniors.
Took years to get past, close to 20 until a movie scene wouldn't bring it
roaring back.
Total shock, it still is.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDinCO
Depression is a disease that ruins and destroys life. It is only by happenstance and a 5 minute phone call with a psych nurse that i am around to post.

Happy to see that you are posting. 👍🏻

This brings up a good point.

Many people not in the mental health field believe that they have the appropriate ‘answers’ for depressed people without medically understanding depression and mental illness. I have two close friends that are doctors. Both stated to me that mental illness is one of the more difficult areas to deal with. Also, many (not all) suicides could have been prevented with the appropriate intervention beforehand. I seen this overseas when a soldier put a pistol to his heart and pulled the trigger. Turns out his buddies all seen the warning signs and nobody basically did nothing. Or they thought ‘their’ advice was enough. Wrong answer.

Bottomline, only people who are trained in this area should be giving advice. If you think you know someone is suffering from mental illness, do what you can to get them the ‘right’ help.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am so sorry to hear this. I will be thinking of your family

As has been said, “Everyone you meet in life is engaged in an epic battle that you know nothing about, and is about to give up. Be kind.”

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Prayers for healing, comforting, and strength.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear this, condolences for you and your family

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am very sorry for you and your sister. Suicide is very hard to come to terms with. I lost my brother to suicide. He was freakishly smart and funny as fugk. Depression and addiction haunted him.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HughW: Sorry to hear of the death and the sadness upon your sister and the family.
Tough one.
I dealt with suicides professionally for 29 years and NOTHING good comes from that act!
Stay strong your family needs you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very sorry for this tremendous loss to you and your family.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That’s terrible I’m very sorry to hear it.

Sounds cliche I know but I hear these stories and it reminds me I need to cut people slack and extend some grace. I never know what people are carrying.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by efw

Sounds cliche I know but I hear these stories and it reminds me I need to cut people slack and extend some grace. I never know what people are carrying.

Yep.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

efw;
Morning sir, I hope you're all well in your section of Michigan.

Thanks for your post and a hearty "Amen" from me.

Years ago I read of a study up here where they said of every 100 Canadian men who suffered from depression or other mental issues, 10 would see a medical professional and 3 of those would get successful treatment.

The rest self medicate and deal with it with varying levels of success.

While I don't understand it, as others have said my attitudes towards suicide have changed significantly during the course of my life.

All the best and thanks again for your thoughts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Only reason I don't kill myself is because I hate to see my enemies smile.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,921
Posts18,479,766
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.